Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Turns out nothing is like I thought it was.....  (Read 815 times)

doodlebugrr

Turns out nothing is like I thought it was.....
« on: January 29, 2005, 04:00:35 AM »
Hey guys

not sure if this should go in this section or not  :-\

Well, I just got my file from my OS to take to see the other OS I am getting a second opinion from  :-\  I cant believe some stuff he put! This is my from my second appointment after surgery......Here is part of it:

"I think her knee is becoming more of a psychological barrier to her than a physical barrier and that somehow there is a secondary gain."  :o

A secondary gain is an Interpersonal or social advantages gained indirectly from organic illness, such as an increase in attention from others.

Oh yeah & after that he put down that he doesnt think I should start councilling for that yet!  :o     I dont know what he thinks he is talkin about, lol, I now have no social life because of my knees & who would be crazy enough to "fake" knee problems! Half his new info about my left knee is wrong, I never told him some of the stuff he has on the paper. There is some more things on here I really would have like to know but he never told me. And to think I really thought I trusted this OS :-\ Sorry for ranting....just really frusterated :'(

Does anyone know what some of this stuff means:

edema management

Lachman shows about 3 or 4 milimeters of translation but a negative pivot shift

Patellofemoral glide medially and laterally is about 2 quadrants in each direction

thank you all SO much  ;)

~BeKaH~ ??? :'(
o yeah & he has me diagnosed on my left for mild PFS & palpable plica
& my right PFS & palpable plica.........not sure about all this tho

« Last Edit: January 29, 2005, 04:07:11 AM by doodlebugrr »

Offline libertynm

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Turns out nothing is like I thought it was.....
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 04:18:38 AM »
Bekah,

I am so sorry to hear that!!  Unfortunately, women just don't get taken seriously enough!  Secondary gain. . .grrrr. . .that's a copout comment.  I totally understand your frustration. . .been there.

edema management = management of swelling in the tissue
Lachman test shows about 3-4mm of translation = 3-4mm of movement on acl testing (lachman test is used to test laxity of the acl)

I hope things go better with the second OS.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 02:51:44 AM by libertynm »
ACL allograft - 12/07/04

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 05:22:49 AM »
Bekah,

I know it's a pain, but you need to contact your OS IN WRITING and correct each and every one of the errors.  And also note areas where he noted stuff down but didn't tell you, and explain how, if you had had this information, you might have made a different decision.  These errors must be corrected, and the OS's useless philosophising about your mental state must be addressed and refuted.  If, God forbid, your insurance company were to get this information they could refuse you further care!!

I am shocked that your OS would write stuff like that.  I always get my notes, just to make sure.  My original OS wasn't nearly as bad as yours, but he wrote that I was having trouble trusting the knee again and refused to accept that the 'different' feeling knee could be okay or benign. HAH.  I had a knee full of scar tissue.  Luckily for my OS, he apologized to me in the post op after my second surgery....

Seriously, it might be helpful for you to get some things off your chest.  Write a very professional, calm, and objective letter that deals with each of his stupid comments.  That letter *must* become a part of your file, and then you are covered in the future.

I'm so sorry your trust has been violated like this.  You might want to be sure to tell that to your FORMER OS as well...

Take care, and try not to let it affect your interactions with your new surgeon.  I know how hard it is to feel betrayed like that.  It adds insult to injury, in the truest sense of the expression!

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

doodlebugrr

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005, 03:35:24 PM »
Hey

Thanks a bunch Nesanet & Heather! ;)
Also I have NO surgery report in my file, he said they never got one  :-\  I was never told I had an LR until my I started PT 2 weeks after my surgery & my PT told me I had one....But when I saw my OS again he said he just cut some tight scar tissue, but according to my files I had a partial LR, plica removal, & synovitis removal, lol, I also never knew about the synovitis removal until just now.... not really sure if it makes a difference with things or not though.

I am NoT going to see that OS again, although he is also my Moms OS for her shoulder, so I am going to go with her on the 17 or 23 or this month & have a nice little "chat" with him! ::)  :-\ I never even thought about the whole insurance thing, I am gonna let my parents know. There I go, ranting again!  ::)  :P I am going to go work on my corrections paper now  ;)

Thank-you guyz again!
~BeKaH~
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 12:47:21 AM by doodlebugrr »

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2005, 06:39:49 PM »
Hey Bekah...
Everything that should have been said and suggested to you, already has been... Thanks Heather M  ;)  I just wanted to let you know that we're all here if you need to rant or rave and I really hope that your NEW OS is amazing... and is helpful and supportive, and perfectly honest with you. :-\  Heather is right though and you need to sort things out with the previous OS.   I know what you are going through and sometimes when you are young, you have to get through that kind of junk.   I went through something previous with my OS, when I was younger then you. He's been my OS for 15 years. :P  But we got past it as I aged. Hope that your NEW OS is helpful and kind.
HUGS
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?