Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Pattela Dislocation/plastercast  (Read 954 times)

Offline dizzybint78

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Pattela Dislocation/plastercast
« on: January 26, 2005, 07:24:57 PM »
:-[

Hi I am 26 years of Age and 1 and a half years ago I was hit by a man on a motorbike. I had to wait a year and 3 months for an MRI scan, to be told that I had probably strained my ACL at the time of the accident but that has healed and I was left with residual Osteoarthritis in my knee.

They Prescribed physio and after waiting a year and a half for my physio, 3 days before my first appointment, I had a fall and I have now dislocated my patellae and chipped the top of my Tibia. They have placed me in a full leg cast with my foot exposed and told me to attempt to weight bear on it after a week.

The pain is not strong enough to require painkillers now and the swelling has now gone down. But I was not given much indication of what to expect from here...I have another 2 weeks in plaster and I know they have a leg brace type of thing planned for me. Has anyone else had a similar history? And is the ACL problem to blame for my unstable knee?  

I am considering pursuing the motorcyclist for compensation, at first it was not too bad but at the age of 26 this should not be happening.

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
Re: Pattela Dislocation/plastercast
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 08:48:16 AM »
I agree that the motorcycle driver bears some responsibility, but honestly it sounds like your medical care has been appalling!  Why on earth did you have to wait more than a year for an MRI or for physical therapy??  Chances are if you had been treated promptly you could have recovered fully, as do thousands upon thousands of ACL reconstruction patients each year.  I'm not trying to dwell on the past, just pointing out that at least in the US the motorcycle driver would have a fairly good defense--that he bore some responsibility for the original incident, but that the injury you had was one that normally wouldn't cause life-changing complications.  The driver would be well within his rights to argue that with appropriate--and timely--care you would likely have forgotten that you had knee surgery....I'm just saying this to prepare you so that you can respond to any future legal arguments.

As for now, what is your actual diagnosis?  I understand that you dislocated the kneecap, but this doesn't necessarily have much to do with your previous injury, except to say that an ACL deficient knee *can* be unstable.  But you said the MRI showed the ACL was healed, so that weakens the argument that your fall was the result of being struck years ago.

To be perfectly honest--and I'll try to verify this with a friend who does personal injury and mal-practice lawsuits for a living--you likely have a MUCH stronger case against the doctor or insurance company that has shown such unbelievable slowness in treating your knee.  Over a year to have a diagnostic MRI?  What is the point, since by then you would be healed??!!  And 18 months for a physical theapy appointment?  I don't understand.  It honestly sounds criminal, that you were suffering with your life on hold and in limbo--and no doubt in pain all that time.

I'm so sorry you have suffered such pain and prolonged problems due to merely being in the wrong place at the wrong time!  I'm not sure which country you are in or what the legal system in your area is like, but in the US you really would have some difficulty in going after the driver who caused the accident--not ethically or morally, just legally.  It would be very hard--perhaps impossible--to sort out what actually led to your current state of disability.  It's my understanding that you would probably have to sue everyone involved--the person who caused the accident and possibly the insurance company and/or doctor involved.  Othewise, if you just went after the other driver, he/she could say that the fault for your current issue lies with those involved with your medical care...or lack thereof.

Anyway, don't give up hope.  A patellar dislocationis painful (I've had three), but not the end of the world.  There are treatments that could include surgery to clean the joint up and repair/tighten any damaged ligaments, PT to strengthen the leg and resolve any imbalances, deep tissue therapy and even accupuncture to help with pain and swelling, a gym program or hydrotherapy to help prevent future issues....

As you can see, there are many things you can do to help improve your current knee situation.  Keep reading the board--I hope you will find posts that can help.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline dizzybint78

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 09:22:22 AM »
Hi thankyou for your prompt help. To be honest Thats the reason I have not pursued the motorcyclist so far... he was a really nice man and he called an ambulance and the police at the time. Most would have driven off!

I really do feel that I have been let down by the NHS, but I really think there is very little I can do about it! The amount of times I went back to my own GP was unbelievable! they kept on saying that it was fine and as long as I was able to work that it was not urgent.

Last Oct I went back there and for the first time they asked me my occupation and I told them I worked as a medical underwriter, I think she realised I knew more than the normal person about arthritis/chronic knee pain and she apoliogised and referred me for an urgent MRI and Physio (which still took another 3 months for the MRI and 5 months for the physio ....which should have been starting this week ironically) I have now asked them to put the physio forward 5 weeks, so hopefully it will be there when the plaster comes off.)

My partner even at one point considered taking out a loan to pay the 750 for a private MRI and 100 a session for private physio)

Offline soton

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 11:45:46 AM »
It sounds as if your GP was careless.  With an injury like this, you should have been referred to the Orthopedic Triage unit closest to you, and from there to an OS.  This does take time with the NHS (in my region orthopedic triage has a 6-8 week waiting list) but less than a year and a half!

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005, 07:46:15 PM »
It sounds like your GP has gotten in the way of prompt and effective treatment.  That is not their job, and at least here in the US they are NOT competent to make decisions on an orthopedic case!

Hopefully some of our UK kneegeeks will post--I think some of them have challenged the system.  I can't advise you on the NHS except to say that they are likely the main part responsible for your current situation.  A torn ACL is not a career-ending injury for a professional athlete, so it shouldn't be for you....

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell