Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: hoffas disease fat pad removal  (Read 3151 times)

Offline jasmine_1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
hoffas disease fat pad removal
« on: January 25, 2005, 05:06:59 PM »
 :) :)hi I wrote a while back after an arthroscopy from which I have now recovered and I finally got to see the surgeon after 2 months of waiting. My problem was that I would suddenly be unable to straighten my leg due to very bad pain.This would happen for no reason normally when I went to get up.After speaking to my surgeon it would seem that the problem was my fat pad which had become enlarged and was catching witnin the knee causeing the pain.this has now been removed and I am hopefull that this is the problem solved.The fat pad contained alot of scar tissuewhich was also evidence that this was the problem.I appear to have been born with the problem as I have never injured my knee -I would be interested to hear if anyone else has had the same problem as it seems hard to find much information about it ???.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: hoffas disease fat pad removal
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 08:35:15 PM »
Hey !!

I have had my hoffas shaved. I had also a band which
prevented my knee from straighten propertly.
My doc had made 1000 of surgeries in knees but never seen a band like this. I believe it's pretty rare to be born with this but I've heard that it can be like that.
Are you ok now after surgery and rehab ?

Hugs nettan  ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline jasmine_1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 12:10:40 PM »
Thankyou for your response,I seem to be recovering ok although it has taken a long time some days my leg is better than others.The only way i will know if it has worked is if my knee goes again.no one else seems to have had the same problem, but I have always had it since I was a baby and as I have got older it became more severe-I am now 30  with my leg stuck for longer and the pain was unbearable.do you know if there are any disadvantages to not having a fat pad?
 looking at this site my problems seem small compared to you and others but it seems to be rare as I can,t find much information about it.hope all is going well for you :)

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Anyone seen the light at the end of the tunnel?
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2005, 12:53:39 PM »
Hi,
I have a fat pad irritation which prevents me from ful extension as it catches in the joint.  It was injured when I got kicked in the knee right on the patella tendon.  The kick also sent my kneecap soaring upwards and thankfully back down without dislocating.
My os did a scope for something else and I can't help noticing that one of the portals is where the fat pad had been  swollen.  so it is forever irritated and upon every step it gets caught if I fully extend my knee.  So basically I don't anymore.  Somehow I have managed to perfect a walk with the knee never fully extending and without limping if it is not sore from something else.

As far as I know, you can function quite well without a fat pad.  The docs I've talked to say that you don't really need the fat pad for survival and others I've read about remove it often.

So hopefully this helps some.

Take care and good luck
rk posterior meniscus tear. Successfully repaired 10 Sep,03. Now have nerve damage and cps which goes with it.  I want to slap the person who said 'It just takes time....'

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005, 03:20:01 PM »
I had most of my fat pad removed 7/04 due to scar tissue and it getting caught between the bones. MAJOR OUCH THERE. I had already had several surgeries and am still not well BUT , the fat pad issue is resolved. I do not have that pain anymore. I consider that surgery a complete success. My surgery was an open one so that all of the scar tissue could be removed. It did hurt ALOT  but that particular problem is 100% better now. Dr told me that you can live a normal life without  a fat pad or with a partial one.
good luck,; let me know if you have any questions
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline LouB28

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 04:40:05 PM »
I had my fat pad removed nearly 4 weeks ago now. I have been really worried as I am wanting to get back into running and playing sports. Everything I have read involving people having the fat pas removed has been negative and that after a year there is still scar tissue. Is this the case with you guys or are you All fully fit now? I'm still struggling to walk after 4 weeks it's still slightly swollen on the outside, is this normal? Any feeback would be very much appreciated, thank you

Offline Stasha83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 05:00:54 PM »
Hi

I wish my reply could be more positive but I had my fat pad removed last June and am now 100 times worse than prior to the surgery. I have Arthrofibrosis, lower limb rotation and a fixed flexion deformity as a result of the surgery and being immobilized for 6 weeks.

I think to still have swelling at 4 weeks is perfectly normal. The fat pad is very innervated and my OS (not the one that removed it) tells me that it is the most sensitive part of the knee and recovery can be very slow and painful. Are you working with a good physio?

I am sure someone out there must have a positive experience to report?!  :-\
June 2010 - R knee TPF & Hoffa removal
Dec 2010 - R knee- Arthrofibrosis
Dec 2010 - L knee Myxoid degeneration of meniscus
Jan 2011 - R Knee 11 steroid injections & Synvisc1
Feb 11 - MUA & LOA
June 11- Steroid inj, EMG & nerve tests
Aug 11 - MUA & LOA
Feb 12 - R Knee denervation

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 06:20:39 PM »
lou, i have had parts of my fat pad removed twice due to arthrofibrosis. it has not effected my knee in any negative way. i am still waiting to get a TKR but that has nothing to do with my fat pad. i dont have ANY pain from the fat pad area at all anymore. wish you luck.

stasha, anyone that is immobilized for 6 wks is bound to end up with issues. i am really shocked that you were not allowed to move your leg for long! that is just asking for arthrofibrosis to set up in there. glad you changed doctors!
good luck
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis