Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Can I have some advice please?  I  (Read 1557 times)

Offline Michelle

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Can I have some advice please?  I
« on: December 06, 2002, 01:10:55 PM »
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the message board and you all seem to know LOADS and I was just wondering if somebody could help deciphering medical jargon.  I don't know why but everytime I go and see my OS I get completly tounge tied and don't seem able to ask any sensible questions, and always come out feeling confused and not really knowing anything.  I just seem to feel really intimidated and I wanna get out of there as quick as possible.  As a result I can barely understand what I have done to my knee.  

I twisted my knee at the end of August whilst walking around at home, and heard a pop and pain etc.  I went to casualty and they pulled it around and x-rayed and told me that I had 'fractured' it and to go to the fracture clinic in a few days when the swelling had subsided.  Anyway got an appoinment with my OS privately the next week and he had a good pull around and said that I had probably torn meniscus and ACL.  So a couple of weeks later I had an arthroscopy to find out the extent of the damage.  

A few days later I went to see him and he told me that I have ruptured my PCL, and that I had a small tear in my medical meniscus, which he excised during the arthroscopy.  He aslo said that I have a 'large fiberous synovial shelf' and a 'stage 2 lateral femoral condyle legion with some softening '  (I have probably spelt these all completely wrong) does anybody have any idea what this means?  

I know that I'm really vague and that I should really know what is going on, but as soon as I step in his office I turn into a complete idiot.  ??? Its not the fault of my OS as he is really nice, I just have large fear of all things medical.  Since the injury I have looked in the internet for some further information regarding PCL injuries and I'm really suprised that I have managed to hurt myself just from twisting whist walking, has anybody esle had any experience of this as from what I have read it takes a lot of force to harm PCL, like a car crash or sporting injury.

I really appreciate any advice you can give as i'm growing increasingly fustrated as it as been 12 weeks post of and my knee is no where near normal  :( and before the 'twang' I was a keen distance runner and now i'm piling on the pounds through lack of exercise.

Thanks
Michelle x

Ruptured ACL, stretched PCL  tore meniscus and articular cartilage in feaky twisting accident in aug 02.  Arthroscopy sept 02. Had ACL recon 17/05/03, hamstring graft

Offline Sarahjane64

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: Can I have some advice please?  I
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2002, 02:53:32 PM »
Michelle, I can't offer anything much in the way of advice, but I can offer this much.  Rest assured you are not alone, many people are confused by the information that they get from the doctor.  Don't feel discouraged, because someone here will be able to help you out.  I knew the sum total of nothing when I signed up two days ago; have you read through the Steps on the Main page?

Best wishes
SarahJane

Offline Shazinoz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'Day from Australia
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2002, 03:48:08 PM »
Firstly Welcome and there are heaps of people here who can help with lots of things regarding surgery, PT, OS's, Doctors, PAin, medicationa dn just about anything else you can think of (and probably a few you can't  ;D)

Oh, Boy can I relate to the "I didn't do much so why is my injur so bad thing"  ::), I have torn my ACL for a 3rd time while drying my foot after a bath (DOH). I have to admit to you I am Hypermobile (double jointed) and have a related connective tissue disorder, which makes it very easy for me to injure myself.  ::)

As to the going goofy when you need to see your OS. Make a list in advance of all questions you want answered (even the most simple ones) and either get it out and read them to him and wait for answers, hand it over to him and get him to answer them (in written form if need be) or take someone with you who can support you help ask questions and listen to answers too.

HAve you had the PCL surgically repaired? Does it need to be? Are you having PT?

AS to the condyl thing I have a 8mm hole in my medial femoral condyl (don't know if this is smae thing). All I can say to this is Lateral is outside area of your knee (ie. when you put your legs together the bit opsite the parts of your knees that touch), Femoral condyl is the bony plataue at the end of the femer that sits ont he the lateral tibial condyle (with carliage/meniscus in between).

Hope this helps a little.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2002, 03:50:09 PM by Shazinoz »
2 ACL 'reco's', 3 'scopes', Pain, JRA, EDS, RSD, CMP, osetochondral defect & #, synovitis, adhesions, nerve damage, foot drop, MCL damage, tendonitis, fibrosis, ligament damage AGAIN, dislocations +++

Offline Michelle

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2002, 05:52:26 PM »
Thanks for your advice SaraJane and Shazinoz

I am having PT at the moment but I don't feel like i'm really getting anywhere, although my PT thinks i'm doing well.  I haven't had ligament replacement and my OS thinks that I will do fine without, i'm worried tho as I want to be back at the same activity level that I was before the 'twang' and it is taking much longer than anticipated.  He originally said that I would be able to start running again in december but at my last visit he said that it would be another couple of months.

Also I don;t know if anybody else with PLC injuries has this but my rubbish leg bends the wrong way LOADS in comparison to my good leg, also it feels like there is nothing to stop it going much further other than a really sharp pain that I get at the front of my knee.  It feels like I could push it all the way.  This has really started to affect my walking now too as now i'm never straighten my leg completly in fear of the backwards twang.  Does anybody else get this?

Thanks
Michelle xxx

Ruptured ACL, stretched PCL  tore meniscus and articular cartilage in feaky twisting accident in aug 02.  Arthroscopy sept 02. Had ACL recon 17/05/03, hamstring graft

Offline LA2047

• Regular Poster
  • Why is the 3rd watch hand called the second hand?
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2002, 04:04:37 AM »
Hi Michelle.  I have to say I'm AMAZED you ruptured your PCL from a twisting motion.  Are you sure he said PCL?  Most twisting injuries result in ACL ruptures.  Based on it's location an enormous amount of force is required to rupture a PCL and almost always results in additional tearing (most usually the LCL, I'm told).  Basically what I've been able to research is that the most common way to tear a PCL is to force the lower leg backwards independed of the upper part (or the upper part of the leg forward when the lower part isn't able to move with it).  The OS's to whom I've spoken say nearly all PCL injuries are caused by motorcycle and automobile accidents where the lower part of the leg strikes something stationary (like another car or a dashboard) while the knee is bent.

Anyway, I suffered a motorcycle crash last year that resulted in ruptures to both my PCL and LCL, so I can tell you in excruciating detail exactly what recovery and rehab is like.  And because PCL injuries are a lot more uncommon that you'd think, a major frustration is finding someone with similar experience to query.  So rather than trying to squeeze into this post the answers to all the questions I know you must have in your head, why don't you e-mail me directly and I'll relate to you everything I can.

Kelly.
Complete PCL & LCL rupture, partial MCL rupture, December 2001 (car meets motorcycle - man meets freeway).  LCL reco 3/02 (donor graft), PCL reco 5/02 (donor graft).  Motorcycle, R.I.P.

Offline KJ

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2002, 01:37:46 AM »
I can confirm that you certainly CAN rupture your PCL with a twisting injury. By no means all PCL ruptures are caused by MVAs (RTAs)
I had a very slow twisting skiing injury and managed to completely rupture my PCL, ACL and MCL with some posterolateral damage as well!
ACL/PCL/MCL/PLC rupture April 01
diagnostic arthroscopy June 01
PCL reconstuction Sept 01;  MUA  Oct 01
ACL reconstruction Nov 01; arthroscopy Jan 03
HTO,posterolateral recon + ACL/PCL revision recons Sept 03;
MUA Jan 04
arthroscopic debridement of scartissue May 04
metalwork removal April 05

support