Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 3rd Synvisc complete  (Read 4535 times)

Offline cjd72

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • Hello Nurse!
3rd Synvisc complete
« on: January 22, 2005, 07:03:05 AM »
Hi all, had my last Synvisc injections in both knees today. It went off without a hitch for the most part.
The Doc wanted to put a little more Synvisc this time so he numbed me down quite a bit, but still felt a bit of pressure toward the end, it hurt a little but nothing excruciating.

The numbness wore off after about 2-3 hours so I did end up a little achy and stiff, but no major issues. I suspect that I'll be back to normal by morning. :)

As in the other threads I started I'll try update everyone as time goes on.

Chris
11/28/97 - Fall from 24ft landed on my knees, Broken Femur, femorial nail
11/12/98 - Femorial nail removed
12/13/04 - OA in both knees, both tri-compartmental degeneration

Offline cjd72

• Regular Poster
  • Hello Nurse!
Re: 3rd Synvisc complete
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 07:08:44 PM »
Morn'n all.  ;) Well I'm still alive, knees feel better since last night. They are still a little stiff but I know that'll subside as I get moving today. Outside of that no swelling, bruising, anything else to report.

I figure I'll be feeling good enough to be skiing again by tomorrow. :)

Have a great weekend everybody.

Chris

Offline cjd72

• Regular Poster
  • Hello Nurse!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 12:30:40 AM »
The knees are are feeling great today. No pain at all, not even jumping up out of a squatting position.  :o

Hope it holds up.  ;)

Chris

Offline cjd72

• Regular Poster
  • Hello Nurse!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 08:09:33 PM »
Hi All,

I'm a week out after having all three shots, and I can safely say I'm almost 100% pain free. If I try really hard I can still get a little ache here and there, but the pain level is nothing close to what it was before.  ;D

Skiing is a dream now, doing full tuck rocket runs down the mountain doesn't hurt at all anymore. I'm tempted at times to hit the moguls again( I miss the double-black diamonds.  ;) ) but the Doc says no bumps, or cliffs, or jumps for me anymore...  :(

Have a great weekend.

Chris

Offline cjd72

• Regular Poster
  • Hello Nurse!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2005, 10:43:35 PM »
The one month report:
Tomorrow will be the one month since I completed the Synvisc injections. I'd have to say there has been great improvement, then again things got better and better pretty much after the second injections.
The big thing I really noticed is I haven't needed to take any pain killers or anti-inflamitories for over 3 weeks. I still get a little pain in the knees now and again, but it usually involves a day of prolonged aggressive skiing. ;)

It's nice getting my life back, hope things work as well when I go in for the next round of injections in July or sometime after. My Doc says most of his patients make it to 8-9 months before they need more Synvisc.

Later, :)

Chris

Offline cjd72

• Regular Poster
  • Hello Nurse!
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 03:48:26 PM »
Howdy again,,
Figured this posting has turned into my personal diary now. ;) ...and I'm due for the two month report.

Both knees are feeling better than they have in, well, more years than I care to count. I can't say they are 100% back to normal...whatever normal is, but they are better than 90% I'd have to say.

Since my last posting I'd say thing have improved a little more and that I've been happy with the results going all the way back to the second series of injections in mid-January. I've returned to skiing with a vengance, walking/hiking , and only have to stop activities now because of fatigue rather than knee pain.

Chris

Offline vicki

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2005, 03:20:33 AM »
Hi Gang.   I am one week out from my third Synvisc injection.   I found the injections to be pain free and without any after effects but, sadly, I am waiting for some decrease in pain and inflammation.   I feel nothing yet so far.   Doc said that whatever improvement I will have I will have had within one month.   I am scheduled to see him again in about three weeks.  Next step is a TKR....do any of you have any other suggestions???   I have done shots, exercises, weight reduction (as much as I can), physical therapy,etc and don't know what else there is before I pursue the replacement.   All I know is that I feel miserable....50 years old and I just want to sit in a chair and rot.   I hate this.  Once I'm up my knee is good for walking...it's getting up and down and in and out that is so awful.   Oh heck, I'm sorry Friends.   I know you are in the same boat I am.   thanks for listening.   
Take care.   Any advice you might have is greatly appreciated.
Vicki
Palatine

Offline cjd72

• Regular Poster
  • Hello Nurse!
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 11:28:21 PM »
Hi all,
Three months since the injections in both knees...they feel great, unless I do something really dumb.

Vicki,
Everybody is different from what I've heard and read regarding the Synvisc injections. So just wait and see is about the only advice I can provide. Some don't notice anything for several weeks, or if they are lucky like me things start to improve before the end of the injection series.

Chris

Offline Cari

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2005, 02:04:31 AM »
Vicki,

I felt absolutely no positive results with my synvisc injections until about 3-4 weeks after the 3rd injection and then I was pain free for 9 months!!

Feel Better

Cari
open lateral release 10/85, various scopes 1994-1998 for debridement, medial release 11/98,  TTT(Fulkerson)& lateral release 11/30/99, screw removal 6/27/00, tibial repair 2/13/01, dx RSD 6/25/01

Offline dadsgirl

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2005, 04:27:01 AM »
Hi Cari,

I just had my 3rd Hylagan injection today, 1 each week for three weeks.  I didn't get any numbing spray before the shots and I really didn't need it, but as I was leaving the office I had a really painful burning all the way down to my ankle and I had to take a pain pill when I got home.  I haven't noticed any decrease in pain so I was glad to see your post saying some relief may be in sight soon!  I hope so, my next step is TKR....  Also you seem to have had a few surgeries(like me) so I hope my shots work as well as yours have.  Heres to better knees and a normal looking walk!!!
 Claudia
arthroscopy.May 2004,microfracture left knee, Aug 2004, debridement and menisectomy Dec 2005  New OS March 2005 !!!

Offline saiani

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2005, 08:42:07 PM »
Glad to hear that since it's been about three weeks since my last shot and I am just now starting to feel a little relief, there is still hope. Thanks

Offline Cari

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2005, 04:04:12 AM »
Claudia,

My OS was told not to use any numbing agents as it could hasten the effect of the synvisc ( it was in the materials that came with the syringes) so I had mine done with nothing numbing the area at all. It wasn't painless but it was a short few minutes.

After the 2nd injection I had pain similar to yours but when a month after the 3rd injection I realized that my pain had lessened dramatically and shortly thereafter was gone, it made it all worth it !!!! I tried synvisc again after the 1st series wore off and the 2nd time I had the series done I had a big reduction in pain but I wasn't pain free like before. I chose the TTT to buy me time. I am now 5 1/2 years post-op and my knee still feels very good !!!!!

Now my "good" knee ( which took alot of abuse) has been bad. I fell on it about 8 months ago and have been ignoring it. The popping is so loud it can be heard by others in the room, that and the pain in my kneecap is why I am going on June 1st to one of my prior OS's. The one who did my TTT retired so this one is my 2nd choice and a very good OS.  If there is nothing remarkable on the xrays I am going to request that we do SYNVISC in this knee as my other experiences with it worked so well!!

Good Luck and feel better !!!!!!!!

Cari
open lateral release 10/85, various scopes 1994-1998 for debridement, medial release 11/98,  TTT(Fulkerson)& lateral release 11/30/99, screw removal 6/27/00, tibial repair 2/13/01, dx RSD 6/25/01

Offline cjd72

• Regular Poster
  • Hello Nurse!
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2005, 05:00:23 PM »
Hi All,

Well it's been about 5 months since the injections to both knees...the right knee is doing very well still.  However, the left knee started to act up again about 2 weeks ago. The left knee became difficult to straiten or bend past 90 degrees for that matter. The Doc is putting in a request now to get a MRI done, as he suspects a cyst or a possible tear of some sort.

The odd thing is the left knee was still killing me Sunday, but Monday the day I went to see the doctor I was "nearly" pain-free. Strange...

Chris

support