Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Finding a good dr.  (Read 714 times)

Offline Yanks351

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • left knees are evil
Finding a good dr.
« on: January 21, 2005, 09:41:58 PM »
How do you know if your doctor is really qualified to do surgery? I was supposed to have surgery on Jan. 6th and right before the surgery a family friend who is a doctor contacted me and said he made a few calls and really didnt want me to have that doctor do my surgery. Finally I have an appointment with the doctor that is listed from this site, and my family friend made a few calls and made sure he was a good doctor. But how do you really know. I am afraid I may need a TTT and I know its important to have a really good doctor so how can I be sure? Thanks

Offline goose

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
    • Jennifer Linforth, Author
Re: Finding a good dr.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 10:28:30 PM »
Hi,

You have every right to ask about his/her credentials.  Look at it as if you are "interviewing" doctors. Where did the doc go to school, do the residency, how long has the doc been with the hospital, how many surgeries has the doc performed, is he passive or aggressive when it comes to surgery. You can also ask for references from other patients, or from physical therapist who may have worked with the doc and his patients, etc.  Often the internet has "who's who" sites that list good docs in a certain area.

Goose
RK-LR 1988
RK-LR 1999, chondromalacia, torn cartlidge removed, debridement
LK-LR 2002, chondromalacia
LK 11/2004 diagonstic scope, lesion removed, debridement
LK-TTT 12/8/2004

Offline Cid

• Regular Poster
  • Dancing with your heart makes the body sing.
Re: Finding a good dr.
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 10:38:08 PM »
I agree completly with goose.  Having a topnoch Ortho is very important.  Another good question to ask is not only how many surgeries he has done but how many of the procedure you are having done has he performed and what was the success rate.  A good Dr. will ususally know his numbers.  

I am speaking from painful experience.  I had two bad Ortho's one was not really a bad general Ortho but didn't have experience with my condition.  the other was just a butcher.  I now have a quailty Ortho and the difference like night and day.  Poor guy has had to clean up the other OS's mistakes and make me work better with what was left.

Cid
Cid
11 surgeries to date 5 on RT, 2 LR, TTT, VMO advancement & chrondroplasty with drilling and a few meinscal repairs
6 on LFT, LR, 2 VMO adv. & OCP with meinscal repairs