Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Stabbing pain when straightened knee  (Read 1786 times)

Offline newyorker

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Stabbing pain when straightened knee
« on: January 21, 2005, 08:03:13 PM »
I've recently started going to the gym after a few years without a decent cardio activity (I play golf 3 times a week though so do quite a bit of walking).  ;)

I woke during the night last night and as I straightened my left knee there was a stabbing pain on the lower inside part of the knee. There is no swelling whatsoever but the knee feels sort of warm and is okay as long as I'm walking or active. If I'm sat for any period of time and make the first step onto the left knee the stabbing feeling comes back but disappears after the first couple of steps. The warm feeling stays though  ???

Just for info I've been doing cardio work on the exercise bikes, rowing machine and treadmill for approximately 2 weeks but this is the first time I've felt the knee. I must confess though that I haven't been wearing the best trainers for the gym, by this I mean that I haven't been wearing "running" shoes but trainers with a thin sole more suited to martial arts. I'm going to the store first thing tomorrow to buy some proper running shoes.

Sorry to waste your time (great site by the way) but could anyone shed any light on the problem for me?

shadehawk

Re: Stabbing pain when straightened knee
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 10:42:10 PM »
You just might have an overuse problem.  Use the R.I.C.E. and see how you do.  If you still have symptoms you should go to your GP and get it checked out.

(rest, ice, compression & elevate)  Your legs are screaming at you that they did not like what you did to them.

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
    • My photo album
Re: Stabbing pain when straightened knee
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005, 02:45:40 PM »
That sounds suspiciously like a plica problem ( shadehawk was right, that is an overuse problem) , get it checked out by a GP and if it doesnt get any better, ask for a referrel to an OS. If it is a plica, they can often be helped by pt. I am not a dr but it sounds alot like what my OS says is a plica in my good knee.
good luck
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia