Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Why does it hurt so much?  (Read 1836 times)

Offline achy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Why does it hurt so much?
« on: January 21, 2005, 10:50:29 AM »
I just found this site through a search engine.  I can't sleep because of the pain in my knees.  My doctor doesn't seem to know what is wrong.  He says the X-rays don't show anything and that I injured myself doing deep knee bends!  What bone would that be??  My pain is on top but also on the sides.  It hurts gowing up and down the stairs.  My knees hurt all the time.  I'm using anti inflamatory ointment and ice and tylenol.  I've been like this since October!

The pain finally got a little better a few weeks ago.  I talked to my doctor and he said I need to build up the musle.  I hate swimming so I bought an elliptical machine.  The first two days I did 30 minutes but it hurt.  He says that people with my injury have recovered and gone on to win in the olymptics.  I know I did too much too fast with the elliptical machine so today I rested and iced my knees.  

I'm willing to have pain to build up the knees with my machine "Precor 5.19 because the weight gain from not moving is not helping my knees either.  

I used to run on a treadmill and did 18 miles a week but I have to sell that machine now!  I have strong legs but weak knees since they started to hurt.  I told my doctor it hurt after ten numutes on the elliptical but I kept going and then my knees got weak.  If it wasn't for the sychronized handles I couldn't stand on the machine.  He said it's okay to do the 30 minutes and then ice my knees.  He said to do both forward and backwards motion..  I also have a hot tub I can use.

After all this information I guess my question is

Am I damaging my knees more?
How do I determinine my limit? (I'm willing to suffer)
Does anyone know what I injured?
(I've been a fairly active person all my life and I'm in my 50's so perhaps I'm worn out but I'm not ready to accept that - not now - not ever.)

Thanks
???

shadehawk

Re: Why does it hurt so much?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 01:56:08 PM »
Hi and welcome to the board, if your doctor does not know what is wrong then you should be referred to an orthopedic surgeon and be assessed and your GP can also send you to PT sessions.  

PT has treatments like ultrasound for pain and will teach you exercises to build up your knee strength again.  Physio Therapists will also assess your condition and build up an exercise program especially for your condition.  For example my PT does not allow me to do anything that hurts my knees because she feels it will cause more damage, but you first need to know what condition you have.

You really need to get the pain under control and if what you are taking does not do the job there are other medications like Pennsaid (ointment), Mobic and many others, ask your GP about them.

Second and third opinions for OS are sometimes necessary to determine what is wrong with your knees.  The top of this page has a link to some knee experts and maybe one of them lives in your area.  You really need to see an Orthopedic Surgeon who specialized in knees to determine how to handle knee problems.

Good luck.   ;)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 02:03:11 PM by shadehawk »

Offline achy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 03:22:34 PM »
Thanks for your reply   I have a perscription for Pennsaid and I use it 4 x per day.  

Yes, I guess I have to be more assertive with my doctor.   I will ask for a referral.  I don't want to risk damage but I have to get the weight off also - unless I starve myself.  I'm already dieting .....

The PT sounds like an excellent idea I just thought I could do it on my own with the elliptical machine.
:o

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 03:38:27 PM »
Hey Achy, WElcome to kneegeeks.. ;D I didn't have time to read Shadehawks response so excuse me if i'm repeating what she said.
First of all you should look up PAtella Femoral Syndrome or Anterior knee pain as it sounds like this may be what your problem is.  Next of all you should seek out a good physiotherapist to get you started on a strengthening program. While normal exercise will strengthen lot's of muscles, it' common for people with Patella Femoral Syndrome to be weak in the VMO muscle which is the quad muscle on the inside of your thigh. ;)   IT can take specialized exercises to specifically build this muscle to help with the patella's tracking. ::) This is why a physiotherapist is a good friend to have.  ;D
Hang in there... does the pennsaid help at all?  I find it works really well, but it makes my stomach upset so I can't use it too often. Yes I know what you are thinking, how does it upset your stomach from your skin? I'm a special kid ;), within minutes of application I feel sick. Anyway...
Check out PFS and ANterior knee pain syndrome and see if it sounds like what you've got.  Then, i'd check with a physio therapist.  Has your doctor refered you to an orthopedic surgeon? Might be a good step as well.
Goodluck and Hugs, hope this helped
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline achy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 04:12:41 PM »
Thanks Linds.
I just finsihed searching and reading Patella Femoral Syndrome and then your reply and I think you are absolutely right!!.  I tried pushing my knee cap  (sorry I'm not up on all the medical terms yet) to the inside and it gave me a little pain relief.  My quads are big from all the squats and the inside of my legs are very weak!!  
Yes I will ask for both a referral to a PT and an OS but I think this makes sense.  I had a very physical job that required me to do the deep knee bends over and over.  I'm so happy right now I could give you a big hug <>.
No the pennsaid doesn't make me sick.  I wish it did - perhaps then I wouldn't eat.  Going from being physical to sitting on a couch doesn't help.
Thanks and many many big hugs
achy

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 04:55:57 PM »
Hey Achy, i'm glad that stuff made sense to you.  I know about going from being physical to being a couch potatoe too. I was Training horses and teaching riding lessons and working at a stable for the past 6 years or so. It would seem now that i'm going to have to give that up and find a new career.  Glad the Pennsaid doesn't make you sicky.  ::)  I had the same problem as you in the sense that my Lateral (outside) muscles were much too strong and the Medial (insdie) not so much.  Hopefully Physiotherapy will fix you right up.
Take care and goodluck, glad I could help
Hugs
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline achy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 05:26:07 PM »
That's weird - I sold my horses 4 years ago.  My dog which I ran with doesn't understand and my job is also on the back burner.  I guess I can forget hiking ever again.

It kills me to go down the stairs and it hurts sitting at the computer.  It all makes so much sense the more I read.  It is so scarey to think this is happening to me.  My husband and I love to hike also.

My doctor did say I need to strenthen the hamstrings and he though going backwards on the elliptical may help this.  I'm now going to surf the web for exercises and make an appointment with my doctor.  It appears he knows what's wrong with me! I just didn't understand why he was talking about hamstrings.

Perhaps you could get a job as a medical interpreter!!
Thanks
achy

shadehawk

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005, 05:30:40 PM »
I have a little tip for you, put a padded foot stool under your computer desk.  Then your legs will be up and it will not hurt you to sit, as it will take the pressure off your knees.  You can also use just ordinary stool and put pillow on it.

I also have a chair near the bed so that I can put my legs up on the bed while watching tv and my legs won't ache.

You will find alot of relief if you have a stool wherever your favourite sitting places are.  I could not function without them.  Walking with a cane or walking stick takes pressure off the knees also, I could not get around without one.  

« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 06:38:41 PM by shadehawk »

Offline achy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2005, 10:59:21 PM »
Hi Shadehawk
Thanks - I'm going to look around the house for one.  It amazing after being told that it seems so obvious - why didn't I think of it.
I just got back up from some much needed sleep.  I did a very slow ten minutes on the elliptical and found an old Suzanne Summers Thigh Master that I did a few inner thigh workouts with.  I scared now about doing more damage.
I have an appointment to see the doctor on Feb 7th at 2:00.  I wish I didn't have to wait so long but the nurse said I can check for cancellations.  I'll let you know what happens.
Thanks again for your help this morning.
achy

shadehawk

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2005, 12:03:56 AM »
Good luck with your appointment on Feb 9th and let us know how everything goes.

Hey, I learned the hard way about stools etc as I did not find this site when I started having knee problems.  I just find that there are some simple things that you can do that make life much easier.  
I am also lucky that we have a chair lift in the house so I don't have to climb stairs or I would not get very far.
We also bought a small bar-type fridge and have it upstairs, so if no one else is home I can have water, ice etc. to save me steps.  Really cheap at wal-mart.

Good luck to you, let us know how you are doing?

Offline Donna68

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2005, 12:38:48 AM »
Hi achy
You've certainly come to the right place! :)  Sorry to hear about your knee problems.  I won't repeat what others have said I just wanted to say I would definitely try and get a referral to a physiotherapist that actually deals specifically with knees, I only wish I had done this before I had surgery, I may not be suffering today if I had done this.  I am still struggling with muscle strength, the knees and the muscles surrounding them are complicated and you really need someone that knows what they are doing to give you advice.
Donna :)
Arthroscopy - plica excision - chondroplasty Jan 03 - OA

support