Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Calf muscles hurting  (Read 959 times)

Offline Pati__MT

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
    • Knee Photos
Calf muscles hurting
« on: January 20, 2005, 07:23:12 PM »
I am scheduled for the Fulkerson procedure on my knee  April12th and Sept 13th on the other knee. I have been doing my excercises and riding my stationary bike everyday to build up my quads and other mucsles.
I am having alot of aches in my calfs and ankle areas. I put the wrap around ice gel packs on them all the time. Ho can I stop these cramps in my calf muscles and why are they doing it . It is so hard to walk after sitting down also. ....thanks for this board and advise...I am 55 yrs old and try to keep active..........Pati
55 yrs old
April 12,2005 Fulkerson/LR left knee
Sept 13,2005 Fulkerson/LR right knee

shadehawk

Re: Calf muscles hurting
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 08:23:28 PM »
Hey Pati, welcome to kneeguru.  I am the same age group as you and have problems with the calves of both my legs with walking and sitting.  I have been doing PT exercises since 2001 and have been told that the reason might be my crooked legs.  I do not know your situation, do you have mal-alignment issues?   Could you be overdoing your exercises?
I massage MSM with Glucosamine into my leg muscles to try and relieve the pain.  PT also gives me ultrasound treatments which help and I have had acupuncture.  
Are you on any medications?  Sometimes this will help with the pain, I take Mobic myself, but there are many medications out there that have helped people.  
Maybe your PT could try some of these treatments on you until your surgery in April, just to relieve the pain until then.
Good luck and let us know how you are doing!  ;)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2005, 08:25:13 PM by shadehawk »

Offline Pati__MT

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
    • Knee Photos
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 08:32:18 PM »
Thanks for the quick response. Yes  my knee caps need realignment. The Fulkerson procedure is that. They will cut the Tibia  and move knee cap over and then put two screws into it. I will be in a hinged brace afterwards. I am taking Gluecosamine and Chondroitin each day.
Just sitting or after excersise my knees just pain and burn and my calf muscles get cramped up as due my ankles hurting. This board has really helped me get my head together for the upcoming surgery.  It is getting harder and harder to walk and do the excersies due to them hurting so badly, but I know I have to build up those muscles before surgery...........Pati
55 yrs old
April 12,2005 Fulkerson/LR left knee
Sept 13,2005 Fulkerson/LR right knee

shadehawk

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 08:39:51 PM »
I know how you feel Pati, that is the way that I am also, but my quads are now losing the battle.  My right thigh is over 1 inch bigger and I have big dents in the quads of both legs (calf area).  My poor PT has done everything that she can think of to help me, but nothing has worked so far.  
I'll be seeing another knee surgeon soon and maybe he will have an opinion on what I can do to get back into the swing of things.  
I find that before exercising if you apply ice then after use hot water bottle that sometimes will help those muscles settle down.  It seems to be a trial and error thing though, different things work for different people.  A good soak in a hot tub also will relax those calf muscles after doing your exercise program.
There is a medication called Pennsaid that might help you some - it is anti-inflammatory drops.  You can get a prescription from your GP for these.  
« Last Edit: January 20, 2005, 08:55:43 PM by shadehawk »

shadehawk

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 09:10:59 PM »
Pati, I just sent you a IM.  You can read it by clicking on the word message at the top right hand part of the page.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2005, 09:11:38 PM by shadehawk »

Offline knight_of_knee

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 10:16:40 PM »
If you're having muscle cramps in your calf, you might want to try eating some banana.  It has potassium which is supposed to help.

Sid