Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: New member, Im not sure what Im talking about!  (Read 1390 times)

Offline JenniferAnn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
New member, Im not sure what Im talking about!
« on: March 01, 2005, 07:02:54 PM »
My boyfriend has been an avid soccer player for the last 22 years, he has had ACL reconstruction surgery on his knee once, and after recooperation, went back to playing soccer again! (stupid, I know, but it's his passion in life)  Well he tore his ACL again, and created a whole in the upper condial (I think that's what it's called) and now his OS tells him that he needs the OATS procedure, they schedualed the surgery for tomarrow March 2nd, but it's not going to end up happening tomorrow because they are waiting for a bone donner.  They sent his ex-rays to a bone bank in Boston, and have to wait for a bone donner match.  They are going to drill a bone the same size as the whole in his knee, and screw it into his knee with 2 or 3 screws.  We are both completely new to this idea and procedure, and just want to make sure its the right option.  He's extremely depressed about not ever being able to play soccer again, and he really doesn't want to go through another surgery, the ACL reconstruction was absolutly awful for him and the doc told him this surgery is going to be 2 or 3 times more painfull and a longer recooperation.  Any words of wisdom or info I can tell him, has anyone had anything similar to this?  The doc told him he would need to be out of work for 3-4 months, and that he would be on crutches for 2 months, hes absolutlely not aloud to put any pressure on it for those first 2 months.  Anyways, he doesn't like talking about the surgery at all to anyone, so I decided to do some research on my own.  Also, after realizing that he can't play soccer anymore (he was the captain and leader of the soccer team at HOPE International University) he's decided to take on the role of Fitness Coach for the college, which I think it faboulous, anyways he decided to get out on the gym floor last night because one of the players didnt show and fill in for him.  I think thats absolultely ridiculous of him, but his reasoning is that its gunna get fixed anyway...this can't possibly be good for him, what can I tell him about doing that? Can't he make the hole bigger, or the arthritus worse?

Anyways thanks for listening sorry so long!

JenniferAnn :)

brattkids2

Re: New member, Im not sure what Im talking about!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 01:56:24 PM »
Hi Jennifer Ann,

I have had two OATS proceedures. I did not find them really painful at all. I was in so much pain before the surgery that it was a relief to have the hole filled. THe part that did suck was being on crutches for so long. It is a long recovery.

As for work it really depends on what kind of work that you do. I worked in office type work so I was back to work within a week.

If you have any questions on the proceedure please dont hesitate to contact me.

Paulette