Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Shouldn't I have an X-ray??  (Read 632 times)

Offline PattiAnn237

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Shouldn't I have an X-ray??
« on: January 19, 2005, 10:32:29 PM »
I just came back from a horrible appointment with my OS (I wrote about it in Spiritual help and encouragement)  

Anyway, i was just thinking how I haven't had a CAT scan(I can't have MRIs) or even an x-ray since my failed LR.

Does this seem normal to you?  I told my doc that the pain was different after the LR than it was before.  I feel like he should as least take a look.  

Am I right, or do most doc not xray after procedures?

Thanks, Patti
25 y/o
Left knee- lateral tilt, lateral tracking, arthritis
LR 8/5/04 (failed)
Diagnostic Scope- 5/2/05 (scar tissue removed)
Holding off on TTT till I can get through school!

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: Shouldn't I have an X-ray??
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 10:46:42 PM »
My Os hasn't xrayed or ct scanned me since my last LR surgery either, and i'm having continued problems and pain. :-X  I guess... if they already know it failed, what is the point of an xray right?  That's my doctors feeling anyway and as I am not in need of ANY more radiation streaming through my body...that isn't going to show anything amazing.  Just my thought anyway... maybe if it would make you feel better you should push for the tests.
Hugs
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 12:27:05 AM »
 I guess... if they already know it failed, what is the point of an xray right?  

Why do you want an Xray or scan? Most possible to ease your mind. Your surgery failed, your OS knows your problem and knows what's going on. Another scan will only cost you money. And it's not necessary! I never had a CT post failed LR just to see if it failed.

Helena
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 05:19:07 AM »
I never questioned that my OS didn't do any more tests after my quad rupture repair and then a scope and MUA six months later. But six months after that, I still wasn't progressing and, in fact, was getting worse. After getting tired of hearing that I should just be patient, I changed to a different OS. The first thing she did was an x-ray, which showed I had developed patella baja. I'm not saying that's what you had, but I am saying that a simple x-ray showed a problem that had been allowed to continue to the point that it could no longer be corrected, and I now have a permanent biomechanical change in my joint which causes pain and functional problems.

If you feel you are having continuing problems and your OS isn't listening or giving you any answers, I would suggest getting a second opinion. (I haven't yet read your other post, so I don't know your background right now), especially if you say your pain is different than it was before. Just remember that x-rays and other tests don't always show the problem. They are just one more diagnostic tool.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline MedicJess

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
    • links to post-op pics here too
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 08:05:01 AM »
A lot of times the scans and Xrays aren't going to show what is wrong anyway..unfortunately. BUT.. I think there is an issue with you having new/different pain that's not being addressed.  Is the OS blowing you off or what?

Jessie
4/96 - sports accident involving LK
6/96- LK scope and "chondromalacia", patellar chondroplasty,
ongoing- bilateral PFS, osteoarthritis, patella alta
12/04- LK LR and TTT
03/25/05 - LK scar tissue removal, patellar chondroplasty, and limited synovectomy for extreme synovitis