Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Post-exercise stiffness/aching  (Read 617 times)

Offline bickle75

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Post-exercise stiffness/aching
« on: January 20, 2005, 05:18:55 PM »
Hi,

I've recently begun to experience a stiffness at the top of the patella after bouts of exercise. The stiffness is also accompanied by a slight, dull ache which is most prominent if I straighten my leg after sitting on a chair for a while with my knee bent or if I do any squatting motion.

Its bothersome rather than debilitating at the moment but was wondering if it  is something that may develop into a more serious problem if I dont se someone about it.

Thanks,

Chris

shadehawk

Re: Post-exercise stiffness/aching
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 05:36:47 PM »
Hi Chris and welcome to the site.  What type of exercises are you doing?  It could be an overuse problem and rest and elevation could help.

Ice helps with swelling and heat helps relax muscles.  

You mentioned that the pain is not severe so your knees might be warning you that they do not like what you are doing.

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: Post-exercise stiffness/aching
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 06:43:23 AM »
i concur with the previous poster.  A bit of rest might be in order, also look at your body mechanics as you exercise, you might be putting excessive stress on your knee and not realize it. Changing how you do what you're doing may help too. consult a personal trainer or someone very knowledgable in your activity for advice. If it keeps up, certainly  go see a doc, just to be safe.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.