Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Just told I have chondromalacia what do I do?  (Read 1315 times)

Offline magoo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Just told I have chondromalacia what do I do?
« on: January 19, 2005, 04:44:39 AM »
It hurts, but can I still run?
Can I bicycle hard?
Can I ski, snowboard or do squats in the gym?
Will any of this make it worse?
For the past 6 years I have biked or ran into work, for the past 3 weeks I haven't done anything. I am waiting on word from my doctor,  but he hasn't contacted me yet.  Any help and information would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: Just told I have chondromalacia what do I do?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 04:56:46 AM »
You should google Search CHondromalacia and find some information that way.
I want to tell you that CHondromalcia is a symptom more than a condition, it means that the cartilage covering on the back of your knee cap has become softened, for one reason or another.  It's kind of important to know why this has happened to the knee and then adjust activity accordingly. I guess what i'm trying to say... is that you've been given a symptom, not a disease.  This can be caused by maltracking, an accident/injury... there can be many reasons.
Hope you find some answers, a physiotherapist could be alot of help at this point.
Goodluck
Linds
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 04:57:38 AM by Linds »
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline magoo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 05:11:44 AM »
Thanks,  I appreciate the recommendation. I have been googling, just haven't found what I am looking for aside from this site. Great site I need to add.  Honestly I just didn't realize how many people have knee problems until I started searching the web.  

Good luck to you too  

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 10:35:19 AM »
Here are some more sites for your researching pleasure.  Keep in mind that a better term for the purposes of your search is 'chondral damage' or 'chondral defect' because, as Linds said, chondromalacia simply means that the articular cartilage in your knee is softened.  That's a symptom of something else being wrong in the knee--like having a fever.  An elevated body temperature is not, in itself, a diagnosis.  It could be caused by the flu, an infection, a cold, appendicitis....you get my drift.

This page is great:   http://www.kneehippain.com/index.html  Look through the 'for patients' link down the left side of the page, and several dropdown menus will appear as you move your cursor over topics.

Another great link:  http://www.steadman-hawkins.com/knee_chondral/overview.asp

http://www.steadman-hawkins.com/pate/overview.asp  This gives a name to the condition which most commonly results in chondromalacia.

Also, don't forget the 'general info' link on this site, straight up at the top center of the page.  Go to step 5, on the patella and read about the conditions which can result in chondromalacia.

As for what activities you should be doing, to know that it's important to figure out what is causing your cartilage damage.  If if is PFS or the patello-femoral syndrome described in the third link above, then impact activities like runnng may be what is causing the problems.  I gave it up at age 26 for this reason.  

Hope this information helps.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline magoo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 07:27:23 PM »
Thank you so much for the information Heather, that information is really going to help.  Can I trouble you with one last question? Is chondromalacia patella the same as chondromalacia ?

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2005, 09:52:30 PM »
Chondromalacia is a softening of the articular cartilage that coats the bones in the knee joint.  The articular cartilage is meant to provide a smooth, frictionless glide (my first OS likened it to Rollerblades ;-) ) So when the cartilage gets damaged it gets soft and spongy.  Then it can develop cracks and fissures, and finally bits and pieces can hang off like tattered drapery or something.  This is severe chondromalacia.

Chondromalacia patella simply means that the softened cartilage you have is on the back of your patella or kneecap.  It's the only body part that has it's own condition name when there is damage.  The other areas you can have chondromalacia are the trochlea, femoral condyles, tibial plateau, etc.  

So someone with a diagnosis of chondromalacia patella has damaged articular cartilage on the back of his or her kneecap.

Hope this helps.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline magoo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2005, 12:16:05 AM »
Your awesome ,thanks..

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2005, 12:17:40 AM »
Heather is Awesome..isn't she  ;D
thanks Heather , you rock
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

support