Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: diagnosis  (Read 813 times)

Offline victoria

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
diagnosis
« on: January 18, 2005, 10:29:21 PM »
Hello,
I now have a diagnosis from consultant as follows;
avascular necrosis of  femoral condyle

Will rquire surgery.
Consultant has said he will drill the bone to make it bleed and form scar tissue to provide 'cushioning'.

Does this sound correct as I was in a bit of a state
and not sure I understood exactly what he was saying.

Has anyone had this procedure and what were the success rates.

Thanks for reading this,

Marie-ann

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
Re: diagnosis
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 02:43:59 AM »
It sounds like you have an area of dead bone and/or missing articular cartilage on the very bottom of your thigh bone (where it makes up the top of your knee joint).  This could be from a blow, car accident, sudden impact, poor knee mechanics, or just a spontaneous occurence.  It's important to understand why your doctor thinks this happened, because if you can't correct it (if possible) then it's a tough thing to fix it...because the problem could continue or happen again.  This would be if the osteochondral defect you have is due to poor tracking, mechanics, etc.  If you had a blow/car accident or a spontaneously occuring incident of osteo-necrosis (bone death) then it's another matter entirely--hopefully it wouldn't happen again.

Here is some information on chondral defects, which should give you some background:
http://www.steadman-hawkins.com/knee_chondral/overview.asp

Here is a link on the procedure your doctor is describing.  It is called microfracture.  

http://www.steadman-hawkins.com/knee_microfracture/overview.asp

There is a whole section at the bottom of the page that deals with microfracture and other methods of dealing with focal osteoarthritis (damaged cartilage that goes down into the underlying bone).  Also, look up the keywords your doctor gave you--avascular necrosis of the bone, osteonecrosis, OCD, etc.

Hope this information helps.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline victoria

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: diagnosis
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 12:26:38 AM »
Hi Heather,
Thank you so much for your reply.
I understood your answer much better than the consultant's and found the related likns very informative.
Sounds a long job post op.!!!!!!!!!!! :o :
I have just returned to work after seven months off following heart failure so it looks like I might be off again for quite a while if I agree to surgery.
I am going to Greece in May (hopefully) but of course that all depends on when I can get op.
Thanks again. I'll keep you posted.
Regards,
Marie-ann