Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee doesn't wanna work with vmo  (Read 732 times)

Offline steelers_rule

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Knee doesn't wanna work with vmo
« on: January 18, 2005, 12:47:55 AM »
Both of my knees stick out a little bit. But my right one sticks out noticeably more than my left. The knee that sticks out more has been diagnosed with chondromalacia.   BUT   Both of my knees have always "clicked" but only the one that sticks out more (right knee) has pain during extension.  

I THINK the pain has more to do with the odd angle at which my femur seems to attach to my knee joint. Upon applying pressure, righty doesn't seem to utilize the stabilizing muscles to the same extent as my good knee. It's feels like too much force is being exerted upon the knee joint itself and not enough force is being transfered to the stabilizing muscles.  I am going to be a college wide receiver next school year, and this totally incapacitates me for my sport.

My kneecaps really do appear to stick out of my knee. Looking at my thighs from above while seated, my femur almost appears to curve upward to a point at the top of my kneecaps. This is escpecially noticeable on my right leg.

Also, before I started having knee pain, I noticed something during my workouts.......... I was able to successfully develop my quad and vmo on my left leg, but on righty (the problem leg), the same exercises were only developing the top and outside of the thigh---with minimal if any development of the vmo.

Is there a special system used to measure how much a kneecap sticks out or the angle of the femur and the knee or what not?
Could my biomechanics (knees that stick out) be the prominent factor of my problems? (I've also had some patella tendonitis on the right knee a couple times)
If so, can these biomechanical issues be overcome?

Thank you very very much for your time :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 12:51:28 AM by steelers_rule »

Offline goose

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
    • Jennifer Linforth, Author
Re: Knee doesn't wanna work with vmo
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 01:06:44 AM »
Hi,

I don't know if I can help at all, but you might want to do research into what is called the "Q-Angle"  "Q" standing for quadraceps. The angle is measured from the hip to the center of the knee and then down to the tibia.  Normal ranges are around 15 degrees or so I think... High Q angles can cause problems (In my case my Q angle on my left knee was 28 degrees)

Muscle imbalances also cause problems and sometimes can require a surgical fix. I had an impossible time building up the VMO on my left knee while it is fine on the right.  I'd pose your questions to your team doctor if you have one, or to your GP or Ortho.

Goose
RK-LR 1988
RK-LR 1999, chondromalacia, torn cartlidge removed, debridement
LK-LR 2002, chondromalacia
LK 11/2004 diagonstic scope, lesion removed, debridement
LK-TTT 12/8/2004

Offline goose

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
    • Jennifer Linforth, Author
Re: Knee doesn't wanna work with vmo