Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: I need some advice about a bi lateral release  (Read 707 times)

Offline Kim_W

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
I need some advice about a bi lateral release
« on: January 17, 2005, 10:57:21 PM »
I had a bi lateral release of the patela done in early November.  I have been going to PT 3 times a week since 3 weeks post op, I still can't drive due to bone chilling pain under knee cap and my inner thigh still doesn't have full strength.  Last night when I got up from the couch to walk down the hall my knee buckled.  The reason I had the surgery was due to the buckling and pain.  Is my knee ever going to get better??  any help or advice anyone could give would be a great help.   ??? ???

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: I need some advice about a bi lateral release
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 02:42:17 AM »
hi, First of all... I want to say that healing and recovering from a Lateral Release Surgery can be a very long process.  By what you said i'm assuming you had this surgery performed on both knees at once? If that's the case, that's tough to recover from.  I have had a LR on both of my knees but not at the same time, 2.5 years apart.  
It is possible that the LR surgery didn't solve the problem that is causing your giving way and pain. LR will help with a Lateral Tilt of the patella, but not lateral tracking. That's the problem i'm facing now...my LR surgery corrected the lateral tilt of my patellae but not he lateral tracking.
I hope that you start to see some improvment. Did your OS suggest there were any other options if the LR didn't work?
You might want to read some posts or re post this post on the Patello Femoral section of this board.
Goodluck
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline Kim_W

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: I need some advice about a bi lateral release
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 07:45:46 PM »
Thanks for responding to my post.  I luckly only had this procedure done on my right knee, my left knee is fine (knock on wood!!)  Yes he did say that there was another option if this didn't work but I didn't ask what it was hoping that it would never come to that.  How long did it take for your knee to fully recover?  did you have to have the second surgery? If so would you recommened it? How long before you could drive again?  Sorry for all these questions I just don't know what else to do or who else to ask.