Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Injury diagnosis and recommeded supports  (Read 710 times)

Offline BobbyDazzler

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Injury diagnosis and recommeded supports
« on: January 18, 2005, 07:19:47 PM »
Hi All,

I recently injured my knee when playing football - a pretty soft landing after heading the ball !  The pain was excrutiating at the time.  The knee swelled up and was still slightly swollen after 4 weeks, but as there was no sign of fluid/blood, the nurse I saw advised there was no major damage.

This is the second time I've done this now.  Does anybody know what I am injuring here ?

Finally, can anyone recommend any supports I could wear ?  Two months have now passed, but its still a little sore/weak and clicks/gives way sometimes when I walk/jog.  I have been doing some light running and gym work but really want to start playing football again as soon as I can safely, but I am a bit nervous to be honest.   The supports I've seen run from 10 - 70 ?.

Many thanks for any information you can give me.

BobbyD.

ariel

Re: Injury diagnosis and recommeded supports
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 09:16:36 PM »
Hi Bob - it sounds like it could possibly be a ligament or meniscus issue?? - if it's "giving way" etc after 2 months it does sound like there's still an issue with it, and you'd be advised to get it checked out by an OS or you're GP - often,  "minor" knee issues calm down after a month or two - however - the underlying injury is often still there and will flare up/become aggrevated from time to time - so, rather than excacerbating it and making the problem worse, you're probably better to get some treatment for it before returning to sport.

Also mate, if it is still giving way, I'd avoid running/heavy-impact excercise for the moment while you're ascertaining the extent of the possible injury.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 09:24:42 PM by ariel »

Offline allstardiva2005

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
    • Behind the Jersey
Re: Injury diagnosis and recommeded supports
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 09:35:38 PM »
i agree with ariel. you should prolly go get it checked out with an OS b/c you shouldn't still be dealing with it giving away two months from the initial incident. and it doesn't take much to tear an acl or meniscus.

i was merely turning around to get a bball when i tore my acl. and i was standing with all my weight on my bad knee, my mom nudges me to get my attention and my knee buckles and i tear some meniscus. not trying to freak you out or anything, but even after a "pretty soft landing after heading the ball" can cause pain and injury so i'd get it checked out!

good luck!
Christy
Medial Meniscus Repair- '00,03
Partial Meniscectomy- '03, '04
ACL Reconstruction- '02
Exploratory Scope- '05
Allograft ACL Revision & Neuroma Excision- '06
Hardware Removal & Bone Filing- '06
Scar Tissue Removel- '07

** Medial meniscus transplant is in the near future... **

support