Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Any Other SMOKERS Trying to Quit??........  (Read 21979 times)

shadehawk

Re: Any Other SMOKERS Trying to Quit??........
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2005, 02:53:19 PM »
Natalie.D,

Hope you have a wonderful vacation.  Have fun and enjoy yourself and when you get back start again - we all have these setbacks.

Good luck,  ;)

Shade

shadehawk

« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2005, 11:49:51 PM »
Natalie D.

Hi, I was just curious, have not seen you on the board and was wondering about you.

How is it going??  Have you still been trying to quit?  How are you??

I finally just went cold turkey and that was the only way that I have managed to succeed.  It has been over a month for me and still moving forward.  To my amazement I have not cheated once - hubby (he is trying to cut back) smokes - so I could get hold of a cigarette if I wanted one, but I really have not.

Hopefully, after my surgery is over with and I am back on the road to recovery I'll still stay away from the smokes.

Shade

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2005, 01:55:01 PM »
Hi Shade,

WELL DONE!  Over a month, thats fantastic, keep it up, you're over the worst of it now.

I recently got back from holiday and I smoked my brains out!!  I'm now on day 8 of complete non-smoking  ;D (with the help of patches).  I really think I'm going to do it this time as my partner has just moved down beside me (he lived 300 miles away) so instead of seeing him only once a week/fortnight, I'll now be seeing him all the time  ;D and he is SOOOOOO anti-smoking, so I reckon with having him around all the time it'll give me the extra kick that I need to stay off them.  I have to say that I haven't really missed them THAT much (only once or twice has been really hard), I've just been trying to keep busy and keep my mind and hands occupied.  I still have to face the hardest time though and that will be next Friday when I'm out with friends for a drink  :o that will be the telling time.

Good luck with yours and keep going, you're doing so great.

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

shadehawk

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2005, 02:34:08 PM »
NATALIE,  CONGRATULATIONS  -  YOU  ARE  DOING  GREAT !!!

That is great news, congratulations to you - I have never looked back myself and feel good (well, except for my knees).

I did the drink of water everytime I wanted a cigarette and also did the get concentration on something else.  If all that failed - go for a walk...

Good for you,

Shade   

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2005, 01:11:45 PM »
Hi Shade,

Thanks for your encouragement, you are doing SOOO well, do you still feel like caving in and having a smoke or has that feeling passed now?

I'm now on day 12 and still going strong, still using the patches which help enormously, I haven't been that cranky at all really, other times I've tried to stop my kids have eventually begged me to have a cigarette just so I'd stop shouting at them  :-[ but this time I've been really good with them  ;D

I've also been doing the drinking water thing and it really does help (although I'm never out of the toilet now  ::)).

Good luck to everyone, hope we can all manage to be non-smokers for ever  ;D

Natalie.

Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC

shadehawk

« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2005, 01:40:17 PM »
Natalie,

CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU,

Hi, glad to hear that you are still hanging in there.  I will admit when I get stressed out - that is when I really miss smoking - we have had a few incidents here trying to get things to prepare for my surgery and oh!!! I could really use a smoke.....it is just impossible dealing with this small town logic & it really is not that small a place...

Good job that we can take extra time and leave earlier for the surgery & go shopping in Ontario.  Can you imagine I am having trouble getting my crutches here - they only want to rent them out - or else they have to be ordered  - what a crock......it is such a good job that my aircast cryocuff cold therapy unit & CPM machine will be given to me in Ontario or I am positive I'd have trouble getting them also....

Oh .... I have at least made it through all this stress & with the constant bad rainy weather & achy knees ..... so, I do think that I can safely say that I have quit smoking.

You  have  already  succeeded,  Natalie  -  REMEMBER  THAT....

Good luck,

Shade

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2005, 01:44:53 PM »
Shade,

Yep, sounds like you've cracked it, if you can get through all that knee/hospital hastle and not give in then I think you can get through anything (don't be like me and be a complete moron and start smoking again later on - I stopped smoking for 6 years when I had my kids and just started one night out of the blue just because I fancied a cig and thought I can have just one!! ::)) that was me back on them  :-\

Well, day 13 now, nearly a fortnight, I was sorely tempted last night, I was sat in on my own and was very bored - all the housework was done, kids sorted and nothing on TV - boredom!  I actually had to get up and take the dogs out for a walk AGAIN! (dogs LOVE me just now, lol) just so not to seriously think about having one, anyway, managed to get through the night without caving - was very proud of myself.

Keep up the good work, just shows you that it CAN be done!

Natalie.
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC

Offline Flame

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2005, 10:26:27 PM »
Congrats to you Shade!!! I haven't smoked since Feb. 6 of this year. I just quit cold turkey. My boyfriend smokes a lot and around me but all it does now is make me sick to my stomach. So I try to make him go outside but that doesn't always work.

Flame

shadehawk

« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2005, 12:55:07 AM »
Flame,

Congrats  right  back  at  you !!!

Never thought that I'd be able to stick to it this long, but it really has not been 1/2 as bad as I thought it would be.  I really believe what did it was the drinking water whenever I wanted a smoke - that worked......I have not gained any weight either......

Think the big thing for me was actually believing that I could quit smoking - know that sounds stupid, but whenever I tried before people around me always went out and bought me smokes saying that I was in such a bad mood I needed a smoke...

Did not happen that way this time - everyone around me was rooting for me to quit - what a difference that makes...Hubby smokes, but has cut back alot.  He tries to not smoke around me.

-  BEING  A  NON-SMOKER  FEELS  REALLY  GOOD  -

Shade

shadehawk

« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2005, 12:53:13 PM »
Natalie,

Hope that you are still hanging in there!!

How is everything going??  Still using the patches??  Drinking the water??  Hope that you are not getting waterlogged.

Just though I try and catch up to you and see how you are.

Good luck,

Shade

shadehawk

« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2005, 12:56:33 PM »

Thought this was really cute,

Shade

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2005, 01:03:20 PM »
Hi Shade,

Yep, still hanging in there, I even managed to be good when I was at a night out on Friday and had a few drinks  ;D ;D ;D, I did have my patch on though which helped, the past 2 days I haven't even had my patches on and I'm finding it not too bad, will see how it goes but if need be I can always go back to wearing a patch for a few more days/weeks.

How's things going with you?  Are you still a non-smoker?  Still finding it okay?  Have you managed to get your partner to cut down/stop?  Let me know how you're doing.

Natalie.
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC

shadehawk

« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2005, 02:53:30 PM »

Still not smoking - and do not intend starting again.  Really glad that you are hanging in there - that is really good.  

Hubby is having some problems - he is nervous about my upcoming surgery - I do not say much - he is at least trying to cut back - so that is something & he has been so good about trying not to smoke around me...

I am getting to the point now that I really do not know why I had so much trouble trying to quit before.  I usually have gum or jelly beans or pink peppermints around just incase I want something to snack on  - but that is about it....

I walk more so maybe I'll shed a couple of pounds before my surgery......

Not much else to tell here, just glad that you are doing so well, CONGRATULATIONS !!!

Shade

shadehawk

« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2005, 04:53:22 PM »
Heather, ((WICowgirl))

What we all have found that has worked for us is everytime that you want a cigarette - have a glass of water - or at least some sips of water.  Sounds corny, but works for some reason!!

Natalie is wearing patches and has found that really works for her.  I tried to take nicorette, but in the end just decided to throw in the towel and go cold turkey...

I feel so good now that I am smoke free - Never thought that I'd be able to quit - Having to have knee surgery was the incentive for me, I guess.

Good luck,

Shade
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 04:55:50 PM by Shade »

Offline WICowgirl

• Forum Faithful
  • Tryin to beat my knees
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2005, 05:35:26 PM »
Thanks Shade, I did start the water thing as soon as I read it when I got here LOL. I had told my kids that I need to quit before my surgery so I can heal good. When I would take a cigg my lil girl (who is 4) would say mom don't you want your knees to get better, so with the help from here and my kids I should be able to get past these last 3-5 a day. I have decided I will not pick up another one. My last one was 2 hours ago and the would have been my second one for the day. It did seem fairly easy to go down to only 3-5 after the doc said I had to quit, so why should those last few be so hard to get rid of?? I will have to do the walking thing too as long as my knees will hold out for me. Thanks again for letting me know where this post was, I feel I need it, like I said I am a whimp with no will power. Congradulations to you Shade and ALL of you that have quit the nasty habbit!
Thanks Again
Heather
WICowgirl
29 yo from Wisconsin
2 Bad Knees
LR + MR + poss. TTT on right knee July 13th

support