Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Any Other SMOKERS Trying to Quit??........  (Read 22057 times)

Offline rdstrasser

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • *I think I can, I think I can....*
Re: Any Other SMOKERS Trying to Quit??........
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2005, 01:25:04 AM »
Yep I am trying to quit. Have quit before too, but today I have had 1.5 ciggies and my surgery is like 36 hours away...so I REALLY wanna be smoke-free 24 hours before surgery. I am finding what helps most is to tell myself how filthy and dirty it is. Tell myself what it is doing to my body. Tell everyone you know that you are trying to quit...ESPECIALLY ex-smokers. hee hee Seems to be working for the most part. I think everyone will quit when they are ready to quit. One thing or another will be the trigger....I think it just depends on the individual.

anyhoo...good luck to you all! And I hope I can be and remain smoke-free before and after surgery. I want to heal fast and properly.
Surgery 3-16-05 Two Meniscus Repairs/Removals and ACL Recon. on RK

shadehawk

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2005, 02:02:26 AM »
Rdstrasser,

Good luck with the surgery & the quitting smoking.  We all seem to be having the same struggle - I am convinced that alot of it is the lack of activity with these bad knees of ours.

Let us know how the surgery goes.

Hugs,  ;)

Shade

Offline JenSinclair

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Canis meus id comedit.
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2005, 03:55:36 PM »
I just scheduled my operation yesterday (for 16 June -- I'm a teacher, so I can't exactly ditch the last term at school...much as I might want to do just that!), and was told that I'd have to give myself injections twice a day post-op if I continue smoking at this pace (about a half to a pack a day)...so, I'm trying to decide what to do.  I know I'll be bored stiff whilst recovering -- I'm having proximal/distal realignment (Fulkerson and arthroscopic), so I'm looking at a long summer hooked to a passive motion machine with very little to do OTHER than smoke!!!

So...I've decided to try to cut back -- to about 5 a day -- by the end of school.  I just don't know that I can manage to quit -- I like it too bloody much.  Has anyone out there done the injections???

Peace,
Jen in Pittsburgh
LR/TTT 3 August 2006, RK
LR/TTT 16 June 2005, LK
CPMs are evil.

shadehawk

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2005, 03:53:43 PM »
Jen,

I have never heard of these injections.  What have they told you about them?  It is really hard to quit, many have tried patches etc.  I just keep drinking bottled water and try to feel full so I won't want to smoke.  Also, I try to have carrot & celery sticks around to nibble on to try to cut back on the smoking.

Let us know how you are doing?

Hugs,  ;)

Shade

Offline JenSinclair

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Canis meus id comedit.
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2005, 07:07:03 PM »
Well...I guess that smoking increases the risk of DVT, especially when you're locked in extension for so long.  Evidently, the pill also increases the risk, but that's not an issue for me.  The injections are, I believe, blood thinners similar to coumadin -- but you have to be in hospital for a few days to get blood levels straight on coumadin, so insurance companies are ultimately more willing to pay for the injections (which don't require you to have a hospital stay).

I haven't even started trying to quit yet.  Tomorrow is the first day back at school, so I might start really trying in earnest to cut back tomorrow.  If I can make it down to about 5 a day (the OS said "under a half pack"), then he'll let me take baby aspirin instead of the injections.  Of course, I should just quit...but it's SO hard!  I think I'll be more successful cutting back slowly than going cold turkey...I don't think I can do the patch because of a latex allergy and extraordinarily sensitive skin (I recently had a reaction to laundry detergent that was...well...U-G-L-Y with a capital ug!).

Back to the injections...it's a drug called Lovenox, and I'm now decidedly against it.  It can cause thrombocytopaenia, and there's a chance I'm at risk for that already (I bruise easily and my mother had idiopathic thrombocytopaenic purpura...), and the side effects just seem to risky.  That does it.  I'm going to quit by the end of school.  They want me smoke-free for at least two weeks pre-op and school ends on the 3rd.  So...wish me luck.

Peace,
Jen
LR/TTT 3 August 2006, RK
LR/TTT 16 June 2005, LK
CPMs are evil.

Offline edmund

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Nescencia Necat
    • Edmund's
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2005, 10:06:16 PM »
Jen
Thrombocytopenia can occur with the use of Lovenox but it happens in a very small percentage of people.  The number is like 0.1% (1 out of 1000) And it is easily reversed by just stopping the drug.  BTW the risk of a serious blood clot that can do much more damage is about the same percentage.  So if I had to pick my poison, I would go with the one that will not kill me.
The drug is safer then heparin and counadin and you don't have to have tons of monitoring when you are on Lovenox like you do with Coumadin and Heparin.
Because your mom had ITP doesn't mean that you are at risk of developing thrombocytopenia from Lovenox.
Coumadin does not work in the same manner as Lovenox and Heparin but they all in one way or another block clots from forming.
My last thought is you might ask your OS about putting you on Plavix after the surgery.  It has a lot of the side effects that will frighten you but then every drug does including the aspirin you take.
As far as the smoking thing goes, that is something that you have to stop.
Smoking will due you in mush faster then coumadin, Lovenox, Heparin and Plavix put together.
If you are sensitive to the patch try the gum or one of the other products available with and without a prescription.
Ed
Nescencia Necat

Offline JenSinclair

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Canis meus id comedit.
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2005, 11:03:10 PM »
Well...that's just it...if I manage torid myself of the smoking before the surgery, then I won't have to be on the Lovenox -- we shall see.  If I can do it, then...well...no BID jabs.  If not, then I'll go with the jabs over the clots any day...and definitely go with that over Heparin or Coumadin.

Thanks much,
Peace,
Jen
LR/TTT 3 August 2006, RK
LR/TTT 16 June 2005, LK
CPMs are evil.

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2005, 01:21:36 PM »
Hi everyone,

Well, I'm trying AGAIN to give up completely, this is only day 3 with the patches and no cigs but I am feeling really determined to do it this time, especially since the UK budget has now increased cigarette prices again!  WISH ME LUCK!!!

Natalie.  ;D
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

shadehawk

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2005, 01:55:24 PM »
GOOD LUCK, NATALIE

Hey, you are doing really great, keep up the good work.  We are all rooting for your success.

Hugs,  ;)

Shade

Offline Mushroom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2005, 10:08:43 AM »
I've got to kick this habit, but I have a problem! I drink and that's when I want a fag. But I am toying with the idea of kicking smoking.

Offline hockeygirl

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2005, 02:23:59 PM »
I too only smoke about 3 - 5 a day but more if I'm out at the weekend.  The only thing with cutting down is that now I actually look more forward to the ones that I have because I'm denying myself any more than that. (if that makes sense) I stopped for almost 2 years while I was pregnant and feeding and I really thought I would never start again. It's horrible how it creeps up on you.  My next goal is to stop before my operation, I don't have a date yet though!

shadehawk

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2005, 03:45:41 PM »
Hockeygirl,

I totally agree with you, when you cut down you really enjoy the cigarettes that you do have and that makes it so darn hard to give them up - I also think that most people with knee problems tend to have put on a few extra pounds with the lack of activity and are afraid that they will put on even more weight.

Mushroom,

I really can't relate to your problem as I do not drink, but when I have coffee I like having a smoke - maybe that is the secret.  Maybe we should cut down on the coffee and drinking and that might curb the urges that trigger our smoking.

Good luck with your quitting - just take it a day at a time.

Shade

Offline JenSinclair

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Canis meus id comedit.
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2005, 01:40:18 AM »
That's the thing -- the weekly trips to the pub with the rest of the faculty...and the poker nights we've started having (at which hubby routinely cleans up!) are where I smoke most ( <stubs out cigarette...> ).  I've stopped associating coffee and cigarettes as a cup of black coffee is my constant companion in the classroom.

I'm under a half pack so far today.  I've had five, and am curtailing it even more.  I've started delaying the first smoke of the morning, and I only had one on the way to school, one on a break (because we had some REALLY obnoxious stuff go down at work today), and two since.  So, now, if I don't smoke again for an hour and a half or so...I'll be at six for the day.  Not bad, eh?

Peace,
Jen
LR/TTT 3 August 2006, RK
LR/TTT 16 June 2005, LK
CPMs are evil.

shadehawk

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2005, 03:17:19 AM »
Jen,

You are doing really good.  Congratulations to you.

Shade

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2005, 02:10:21 PM »
Hi all,

Well, I've failed AGAIN!!  I'm weak   :-\  I've had a LOT of stress this week and I caved in and had a cig (well, 5 actually  :-[), I'm still trying to keep them to a minimum but I have just booked my holiday for May and I'm going with 8-10 of my female friends 7 of which smoke so I KNOW I'm not going to be able to stay off them whilst on holiday but I will try again when I come back.

Hope everyone is managing to stay off or keep to a minimum. 

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements