Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Any Other SMOKERS Trying to Quit??........  (Read 21188 times)

shadehawk

Re: Any Other SMOKERS Trying to Quit??........
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2005, 03:32:25 PM »
Hey Missy, we all have days like this.  Think it does have something to do with the pain levels we are having - at least that is my excuse. 

Try and drink a glass of cold water whenever you think of having a cigarette, this usually works for me - as it gives you that full feeling. 

Hope this works for you.

Hugs,  ;)

Shade

shadehawk

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2005, 02:04:54 PM »
How is everyone doing with their smoking??? I had a few bad days during this roadtrip, but have gotten myself back on track again.  New OS told me that the concern with smoking is that after the surgery - the cox -2 inhibitors will work much faster without smoking (the smoking slows down the healing process when taking cox-2).  So, after surgery I have to make sure that there is no smoking at all while taking the meds. - so that is the goal and I am back working hard towards this.   

Offline laupinto

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2005, 04:59:32 PM »
I am so glad i found this post!!  Recently i ahve been trying to quit smoking.  I went 3 whole days wihtout one, but htne i caved in and bought a pack.  So now it's "after this pack i am really done!"  We have all been there.  I am young and want to quit now.  My sisiter and my mom smoke so its hard being home with them.  I didnt quit before my first surgery, or even cut down, and when i was on the painkillers and would ahve one, i would feel like fainting.  So instead of just saying the hell with it, I changed my meds to sopmething not as strong!  I hate this habit, i hate my clothes smell, my hair, my car. The times when i smoe the most in on the comouter, or in the car.  Being in college i am in the car often and on the computer often!  So i have put a computer in my room (since i don't smoke there)  but i still find myself taking breaks to ahve a smoke!  To help with the car, i try just taking 2 or 3 with me and when they are gone, thats it no more!  I am trying to get in shape also, and this new picking habit i have started by cutting down is not helping me!  I gianed some weight after my first surgery,a nd still ahvent lost in yet.  I am going to Florida in April and want to be back to my size i was pre surgery, i only have 10 more pounds to go, but this picking isn'y helping me!  My new thing i am going to try now that i have found this post, is when i feel the erge, just come on here till the urge has passed!!!
        Lets see how this goes!  Good luck everyone!   lauren
20 years ol
May 04 PLica Removal
May 05 LR
Dec 16, 05, Fulkerson

Offline Flame

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2005, 12:39:35 AM »
It has been one week and 6 days since my last smoke. I just woke up one morning and decided not to smoke that day. Then the next morning I decided not to smoke that day. I did it one day at a time instead of trying to just think of all the things that make me smoke in a week. It has now been almost two weeks. The smell of cigarettes makes me feel sick to my stomach at this point in time. I am hoping that I can keep this up. Good luck to all the rest of you guys. I'm pulling for you!!! :-*

shadehawk

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2005, 01:08:44 AM »
FLAME - WAY TO GO - THAT IS REALLY GREAT
You are really doing sooooo well, keep up the good work.  I strayed when I was away, but my bad habit has to end......

Hugs,  ;)

Shade

Offline laupinto

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2005, 07:36:29 AM »
Flame....i am trying that, just going day to day....but what helps you when you really feel like having one?  Do you talk yourself through it?   I really want to quit but find it so hard.  What gets you through the day?
Lauren
20 years ol
May 04 PLica Removal
May 05 LR
Dec 16, 05, Fulkerson

shadehawk

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2005, 09:25:20 PM »
Lauren,

Have you tried the drinking water thing - I find water makes you feel filled and then you usually do not want a cigarette.

Worth a try!  I have been doing that - and have had some success with that.

Shade ;)

Offline jodie14

• Regular Poster
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2005, 11:18:40 PM »
Hi Shade

I havent met a smoker who doesnt want to quit!!   I've been desperately trying to stop for about 1yr now but i hate to admit I have absolutely no will power.  Every now and again I stop for 1-2 weeks then start back up again, smoking more to make up for lost time!!
My PT told me to stop because apparently it hinders recovery time from injuries etc, he also told me that 80% of smokers suffer from bad backs, dont know how much truth is in that but i suffer quite a lot from back pains.

Good luck to all of you out there who are trying, maybe one day i will find the power to do it.

Jodie

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2005, 01:09:10 PM »
Hi everyone,

Well, I've been a TOTAL nightmare, over the weekend I smoked at least 10 cigs each day  :-[  I don't know why all of a sudden I've jumped back up to smoking that many in one day, I went for weeks with only 2-3 a day, I don't feel unusually stressed or worried about anything in particular, I am a little frustrated with some things - I'm waiting for my partner to find a job closer to me so that he can move down beside me as he's 300 miles away just now  :'( so I feel like I'm in limbo waiting for something to happen so maybe that's what's doing it  ???  I'm going to keep trying to cut down and see how it goes, but like Jodie my willpower is not that good, I'm going to try the drink of water thing too see if that helps.  Good luck to everyone  ;)

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

shadehawk

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2005, 09:31:36 PM »
NATALIE WE ALL HAVE THOSE KIND OF WEEKENDS

Just brush it off and try and start again.  I had trouble during the week last week - whoa did I stray - but I am trying to back on track again.  I know smoking is such a bad habit - but I have to believe that smoking 3 - 6 is so darn good compared to the 25 - 30 per day that I was going through before.

You just have to take it one day at a time and not worry about it.

Good luck  ;)

Shade

Offline Flame

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2005, 05:19:07 PM »
First I just want to wish everyone good luck on quiting. ;D One of the inspirations for me to quit and to keep it that way is my children. Everytime I want to light up I think about the promise I made to them. I told them that I was going to quit before my next birthday and my birthday is tomorrow. I just get one of their pictures for inspiration and remember all the things I am going to get to do with them when my knee gets better. :)

Offline Flame

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2005, 07:31:22 PM »
How is everyone doing on their smoking???  It has been four weeks and one day since I have had a cig. That's all great and all but I am finding that I seem to have replaced that habbit with cereal. What to do!!!What to do!!! So now I smell better but my clothes don't want to fit right. (tee-hee) I hope everyone is doing good. 8)

shadehawk

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2005, 08:34:34 PM »
Flame,

Hey, good for you.  So you might put on a few pounds - it is better than smoking.  You know I was doing really well, but then got into a bad patch of knee pain again and started again.  Gosh, it really sucks this habit - trying it again though. 

Hope everyone else has been doing a little better than me.

Hugs,  ;)

Shade

Offline Grumpyass

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2005, 08:53:15 PM »
Hi guys.........
                       Yes it is possible to quit completely. I've managed it several times. doh !
I never went longer than 4 days max. Not even after a mild heart attack at 40 years old !!
However after the Tibial plateau fracture and weeks confined to one position I thought it time to make a proper effort.
Well all the others had been proper efforts except  that I knew I was going to cheat and try and kid myself.
       How come I managed it this time ?.........I may seem obvious but listen to the advice given mostly free of charge.
For one remove yourself from the obvious times when you are in a position to smoke, this was easy for me as I was in a lot of pain and housebound.
Secondly have set times to occupy the brain, this takes the mind off the craving. I planned a vehicle restoration, MT'B around the world and then had time to redocorate the whole house. All of course in the mind but this really sets you up for some of the mental fortutude required later on when faced with temptation.
Also it is important to have  strong rewards at set Intervals like 4 days, 1 week, 10 days, 2 weeks and 1 month.
A good piece of psychological reward is the depression you will feel after having just one cigarette, compared to the health benefits after these marker days.
I've been over three months now and still have to face the next big test of a full day out on the road without smoking.
Still, I,m confident as the depression I would feel after just one ciggy would make me want to run away from life.
You really do have to make some lifestyle changes. Not massive ones but positive ones that you can sustain.
      So everyone, never give up giving up and stay active.

Offline laupinto

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2005, 09:06:21 PM »
This whole not smoking this just is not working!!!  my best friend quit and i thought that would make it easier on me, but having a mom and sister who smoke doesnt make it easier.  I am with them alot so being around them makes me want to smoke.  They try not to smoke in front of me, but i know when they are and i follow them! 
    The passed few days have been stressful, knee pain and other issues so i turn to smoking.  I am trying to loose the weight i put on after my first surgery and that sint working very well, so i am nervous to stop since i think i will gain more weight!  I am going to Florida for 8 days and CAN NOT smoke since i will be wiht my boyfrinds family (who by the way don't know i smoke!)  So i figure if i cna go 8 days i cna do this!  This sux!
Lauren
20 years ol
May 04 PLica Removal
May 05 LR
Dec 16, 05, Fulkerson

support