Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Any Other SMOKERS Trying to Quit??........  (Read 21197 times)

shadehawk

Any Other SMOKERS Trying to Quit??........
« on: January 17, 2005, 02:39:34 PM »
Hi, I have been trying to quit smoking on quite a few occasions now with not many results, until the knee thing.  

I recently read a post regarding knees and surgery etc. not mixing well.  This is the best motivation that I have ever had before.  I would do anything that is humanly possible to make my knees better.  I do not know if I will need knee surgery or not, but I certainly will try to help my knees heal in the meantime!

Since the new year, I have drastically cut down my smoking (filthy habit that it is) but, I still have been smoking at least three cigarettes per day and can not seem to get over this hump.  It is easy to say just chuck the habit, but unless you have had this habit it is just not that easy...............................

I know it is better than a whole pack per day, but hopefully one of these days I will just not lite up anymore.  That is my goal!  ::)

Anyone else out there who is trying to quit for the benefit of their knees ( and all round good health ) ?

If so, maybe we can cheer each other on!!!   ;)

« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 07:39:28 PM by Shade »

Offline myrtknee94

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Any Other Smokers Trying to Quit...........??
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 04:26:30 PM »
shadehawk~

You are not the only one!!  I am also trying to quit.  I am having surgery this Thursday, I will be quitting..cold turkey...We don't smoke in the house so I'll have to be pretty desparate to get up and crutch outside to have one...

I know what you mean with not being able to smoke less than 3 a day.  Have you tried to just smoke half of one?  When I quit before my pregnancy this was one thing that helped me quit, if you smoke half in the morning and another half at say, lunch, you've only really had one.  

I have also heard about smoking and surgery not mixing well.  I have asked alot of different people, mainly nurses and patients who smoke and they have all said the same thing.  The concern is mainly for people who have emphysema (sp?) or chronic bronchitis, ect.  It also depends on how much you smoke a day as well.  With a light smoke they have less of a concern, a 3 pack a day smoker, obviously there will be more concern.  I, myself only smoke 5 to 6 a day.  The nurses asked my why I bother  ::) I ask myself that all the time!

Good luck on your quest to quit...let me know how it is going and if you have any tips.

~Kristen
2/94 ACL, Medial and Lateral Meniscus tears
3/94 Arthroscopy - debridement, partial
        medial menisectomy
1/05 ACL reconstruction w/ hamstrings, medial
        microfractures femur & tibia

shadehawk

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 05:24:51 PM »
Thanks for your post, glad to know that I am not alone in this.  Noone seems to understand just how hard it is to quit smoking.

The last 3 - 6 per day are the hardest to give up, I think.   ???

Good luck with your surgery and your cold turkey.  I'll be thinking of you.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 05:25:14 PM by shadehawk »

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 03:51:11 PM »
Hey,

I'm in the same boat unfortunately.  I'm down to about 3 or 4 a day but, like you, I find these VITAL ones nearly impossible to give up!  I have tried the patches before and they did help me, stopped me getting quite so ratty, have you tried them?  I can't do cold turkey, my whole family suffers too much, the kids have even gotten so frustrated with me that they've said "God mum, just go and have a cig and calm down!".

I don't have any surgery coming up but am trying to stop for my overall health, just turned 37 and am thinking its about time I put some more effort into stopping.  Any tips you pick up, post them here!!

Natalie.  
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

shadehawk

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 04:35:29 PM »
Hi Natalie, the only thing that I have been doing is that whenever I want a cigarette I first drink a glass of water.  That usually gets rid of the sensation and then I nibble on either carrot sticks or celery sticks.  

I guess it is just whatever works for a person.  Good luck to you.  I still feel it an accomplishment cutting back so much and intend on keeping up with this and not going back to a pack a day habit.

Offline c_gostomski

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 03:16:12 AM »
knee surgery kicked it for me!  I couldn't get out of bed for over 2 weeks.  I have tried a cigarette 3 times and amazingly it tasted AWFUL!  I wasn't even planning on quitting!

shadehawk

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 03:45:27 PM »
Congratulations to you C.  You might not have planned it that way, but the results are very good.  

Make sure you never try and lite one up again.  It certainly is not worth it.  Good for you!!  ;D

Offline fed_up_in_freddy

• Regular Poster
  • Run if you're being chased, Swim if you're on fire
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2005, 06:38:48 AM »
Hey!!!  I am one of those unfortunate smokers, in the same boat...I only smoke outside...this certainly cuts down on my smoking habit!!!   ;)  I have managed to quit before, I used nicorette...it did help.  I am also down to about five a day, depending on the day, that is... ::) Also, my mom was a smoker, and she quit...the thing is, if you quit, the craving only lasts about three minutes...if you quit, and keep a pack in the house, and tape it up REALLY WELL...enough so that it takes AT LEAST three minutes to get into...then you know that they are there, so the panic isn't there that you don't have them, but you can't get into them, and by the time you do, the craving has passed!  ;D  My mom quit in 89, and still has that last pack, all taped up.  It worked for her!  She got that tip from the Canadian Cancer Society, or something similar...don't quote me on that one...but it was one of her support systems.  So, that does tend to work....because half of it is knowing that they are not there when you need them.  My grandfather quit and he just kept them in his pocket the entire time.  He would touch them sometimes, but never smoke them.  Also, licorice sticks help...as they are similar to cigarettes, and you can inhale them...it is the habit of inhaling, or having something between your fingers....a straw, rolled up paper...that helped me too.  Mom still does that sometimes.  Anyway, hope that helps.  Keep strong!  Heather.
1995 scope /LR/debriding right knee
1997 scope /LR/debriding/left knee
2004 diagnosedChondromalacia Patellae both knees
In PT/taping/bracing/severe pain/no luck as of yet/on anti inflammatories

Offline ringpull

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Highlands, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2005, 08:16:58 AM »
Hey guys,

I was a smoker until a month before my op. Was trying to stop for ages and was desparate to stop before the big day!!

About 3 months before my op I banned smoking in the house, which made me cut down and made me realise how much it stinks the house out!!  :P

A month before my op I started to use patches as I was getting desparate!! I also read Allen Carrs "easy way to stop smoking". I was on the patches for 2 weeks when I realised that I didnt actually need them!!

The only time I have had a cigarette is when I have been very drunk!!! Never want 1 the next day as I'm repulsed by the way my clothes smell etc!

I stopped on the 4th June '04 and I can honestly say that is been the best thing I have ever done!! Fitness level is better now than when I had healthy kness!!

I just wish I could get rid of my drunken habit without giving up the booze every weekend!!!!!  ;)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2005, 08:18:45 AM by ringpull »

shadehawk

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2005, 01:21:16 PM »
Thanks Heather, some good ideas there, I'll try them also.  I don't know if it would work taping up a pack though as hubby smokes and he might be tempted to break open the pack for himself.  He is trying to cut down too, but having more trouble than me.

Ringpull = Hey, good work.  Now we'll have to find a way to settle you down on the weekends.  But hey you have to have some fun in life, don't you.

Thanks!

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2005, 01:31:08 PM »
Ringpull,

Thats when I find it hardest, when I'm out having a drink with my friends (who all smoke by the way!)  the more I drink, the weaker my will is for NOT having a cigarette, I've kind of just accepted that when I'm out drinking I will be smoking, as long as I can stop again the next day.

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

Offline Flame

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2005, 09:26:09 PM »
I, too, am down to about 3 a day. My first two surgerys I was smoking about a pack to a pack and a half a day.This time, I cut down for the surgery. I know that sometimes a bowl of ice cream will help curve my craving!! ;D

shadehawk

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2005, 09:41:43 PM »
We should call ourselves the 3 - 5 a day club.  Oh the ice cream sounds sooo good.  I am going to have to try that.  I still do the water thingy, but sometimes think that I am getting water logged.

;D   Seems that we are all hanging in there though, that is a good sign!!!  ;D

Offline dubbin

• Forum Faithful
  • 2 fish in a tank, one says I'll shoot, you drive
Re: Any Other SMOKERS Trying to Quit??........
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2005, 11:03:32 PM »
Same here, 3-5 a day. I did quit all together, then my friend/bridesmaid dropped out of my wedding a week beforehand so that was the end of that!!   :)

I too wish I could just stop, but you've got to really want that and I have 0 will power!
Oh well

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
Re: Any Other SMOKERS Trying to Quit??........
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2005, 02:36:03 PM »
HELP,,,,,,,,,, for some reason, I am smoking more lately,,,,,,,,, this has got to stop. I think about quitting every day but that is soooooooo tough. I have got to at least cut back. I have never smoked so much in my life and dont really know why I am over doing it lately, depression? stress? worry??? All of the above??  I will make a specific effort today to cut back. Cross your fingers for me.

missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis