Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Can't get swelling down - Help!  (Read 1154 times)

Offline MWC

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Can't get swelling down - Help!
« on: January 17, 2005, 01:58:34 AM »
I injured my knee a few days ago.  I have been icing and elevating for hours every day since and I still cannot get the swelling to go all the way down.  This makes it impossible for me to straighten the leg completely and so it won't support much weight.  If anyone knows anything else I can try or some "magic formula", please let me know because this is very frustrating (and painful).  Thanks very much.

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: Can't get swelling down - Help!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 02:01:34 AM »
What did you do to your knee? Maybe it's something more serious and you need to see a Doctor. The system you should use for swelling is the RICE system.  R stands for Rest, I for ICe, C for compression and E for elevation. Compression is important , so maybe you should try adding that.

goodluck
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline MWC

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 02:25:45 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  Here's a little more info.

Well, I'm not entirely sure what I did to my knee and it could very well be serious.  I tore a bunch of cartilage and the ACL in this knee 5 or 6 years ago.  I had a patellar tendon transplant and the cartilage damage was "cleaned up" as much as possible.  The knee has been fine for quite a while now.  I have engaged in several activities requiring some stability in the knee (basketball, racquetball, etc.), and it has responded fine.

About a month ago I was sitting crosslegged on the floor and holding my dog.  While getting up my knee sort of twisted, popped, and immediately would not support any weight (and was extremely painful).  I iced and elevated it for a day and a half and it was fine.  

Then just a few days ago, I was just sitting in a golf cart and turned to my left to respond to someone's question.  I was only turning at the torso, with my feet resting on the floor of the golf cart.  My femur turned slightly in the same direction, but my tibia stayed in the same place.  I experienced the exact same feelings and symptoms that I did a month ago.  The problem is that this time I've been unable to knock out the swelling.  The knee has improved slightly, but I still can't walk without at least one crutch.  

Basically, I don't want to go to the OS because I know I won't undergo surgery again anyway.  Obviously if I can't get it back to where I can walk normally I will have to go see someone.  I am hoping I can get it at least functional on my own.

I don't know if the extra info is of any benefit or not  :).  If anyone has experienced anything similar and has an idea that might help, I'd sure like to hear it.  Thanks

Offline Cid

• Regular Poster
  • Dancing with your heart makes the body sing.
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 04:35:35 AM »
You need to have it checked out.  I know it is hard to make yourself go back after having major problems, but the end result could be permanent damage espcially if you continue to walk on something that is torn or damaged.  

From what you are describing it almost sounds like an ACL problem. Just a guess here but the looseness between the knee joint is usually a sign of ACL damage.  

I know from experience you can tear something and not think you did anything major enough to have done any damage.  I had been walking around with a torn tendon for months because I just thought I had been doing too much which in turn was causing a lot of swelling.  Silly me I should have listend to my body and went sooner. If the swelling doesn't subside within a few days or week it is a good indication that something is more serious is wrong.  

It's great to think positive, but be proactive and have it checked.  Surgery is not a lot of fun, but look at what it has gained most of us. More time to do what we love with a little less pain . Good Luck
Cid
Cid
11 surgeries to date 5 on RT, 2 LR, TTT, VMO advancement & chrondroplasty with drilling and a few meinscal repairs
6 on LFT, LR, 2 VMO adv. & OCP with meinscal repairs

Offline MWC

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 02:58:39 AM »
Thanks for the reply, Cid.  I figured I was going to end up having to go see the OS.  I appreciate the nudge though and you helped me improve my attitude about it :).  The swelling hadn't improved, so I went to see the OS today.  He seemed to think that the patellar tendon graft was still holding which is a huge relief.  He's pretty sure that it's torn meniscus and probably some more trouble relating to my osteochondritis dessicans.  So, it's more of the same (without the ACL part--hopefully anyway).  To be honest, I was pretty excited that it wasn't worse.  I'll be having arthroscopy here pretty soon, so the OS can determine exactly what damage has been done.  I'm just hoping he can do what needs to be done with that.  I don't relish being laid open again :).  The anti-inflammatories should get things to calm down enough for me to at least get around in the short term.  Thanks for the advice and support.  By the way, that's an impressive knee resume you've got there.  I hope you are doing ok with it.  Thanks again.  
MWC

Offline BobbyDazzler

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 03:57:31 PM »
Hi MWC,

I did something (painful) to my knee just before Christmas playing football.  It just sort of 'went' and i was in agony.

Went to casualty the next day as I was concerned about how painful and how selled it was, but they said as long as no blood showing within the knee and no liquid (as apposed to swelling) then chances are the injury is not too serious.

However, just to let you know that it look almost amonth for the swelling to go down completely !.

All the best,
BobbyD.