Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: i think i dislocated it?  (Read 791 times)

Offline suzi-q

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
i think i dislocated it?
« on: January 15, 2005, 05:52:49 PM »
hello knee guru!
last night i took a kickboxing class and we were working on the bag. i rarely ever do kickboxing because i have a history of bad back and knee problems. well, i did a thrust kick to the bag while it was still in motion on the way out. i kicked very hard and locked my knee out, and felt a quick sharp pain. i stopped kicking but stayed in the class. the knee is a bit swollen at the bottom left of the right knee. there's no sharp pain except when i try to straighten it all the way. for the most part there's a discomforting awkward feeling, and an occasional sharp feeling that'll set me off balance.
when i was younger i had braces for my dislocating kneecaps. but that was about 10 years ago. is this a dislocated kneecap? do i just ice and elevate it? and do i have to stay off it? cause i'm a bit of a gym freak. i generally take boxing, spin and yoga each week. will i be able to do any of this?
thank you very much for listening to my babbling, i look forward to your input. -susu

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
Re: i think i dislocated it?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 07:48:08 PM »
Sounds more like a meniscal injury to me, since you don't report a lot of swelling.  Dislocations cause the knee to puff up to more than twice its size.

I would try to RICE it for a few days, staying out of the gym while you do.  RICE = Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.  If you are able to take anti-inflammatories, talk to your doctor of pharmacist about what kind of schedule you can take them on.  If you don't feel better with a couple of weeks of resting the knee, then you should go see an orthopedic surgeon for some tests and exams to see if you have torn the meniscus or something else.  

Read up on torn meniscus injuries.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell