Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: surgery surprise?  (Read 1021 times)

Offline mommann

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
surgery surprise?
« on: January 15, 2005, 04:58:40 AM »
I am new to the board but am curious about  something.  I just had surgery for a torn meniscus 4 days ago.  There was no injury just wear and tear i guess I am 46. After surgery the doctor told my husband that when they got  in there with the scope they also found a torn cartilage on the outside of my knee.  Is it normal for this to not show up in the MRI?   Should my doctor have seen it ? It just did not sound right to me. I do not see the doctor for 5 more days so i am not sure what he will say but I know my recovery time has increased because  he told my husband that I would be  in this brace for 4 to 6 weeks.  Any advice on  recovery would be greatly appreciated too Thanks.

Offline Cid

• Regular Poster
  • Dancing with your heart makes the body sing.
Re: surgery surprise?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 08:46:26 AM »
Hi, Im new here too but not to knee surgery.  I had an MRI last month and my surgery last week.  Guess what when he went in he found a torn ligament and torn meniscus that didn't show on my MRI.  From what I have been told a lot of your MRI results depend one the quality of the equipment and the ability of the person reading the scan down to the tech doing the scan.  So I guess I am just glad I trusted myself on this one and had him go and take a look.  I have been walking around with this mess for over a year and just thought I might be a little crazy when the MRI came back normal.  Now at least I feel Im not nuts and had a reason for all the pain I was in.  In my opinion you should not rely 100% on test and make sure you have a ORtho that will listen to you and is good at his job.  Im glad you are now on the road to recovery.  Happy Healing. (do those streight leg raises faithfully)

Cid
Cid
11 surgeries to date 5 on RT, 2 LR, TTT, VMO advancement & chrondroplasty with drilling and a few meinscal repairs
6 on LFT, LR, 2 VMO adv. & OCP with meinscal repairs

Offline Cid

• Regular Poster
  • Dancing with your heart makes the body sing.
PS Im close to your age and....IM
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 08:51:01 AM »
Not ready to give up on hot legs and fun yet so I have to keep these knees rockin.  It would be hard to bellydance from a wheelchair.  I did do it with crutches this week and that was a little challenging and not something I will share with my surgeon yet.  I don't what to look the best looking and sweetest orotho in the states.  He is my savior and keeps me dancing.  Hugs to the best.  Cid
Cid
11 surgeries to date 5 on RT, 2 LR, TTT, VMO advancement & chrondroplasty with drilling and a few meinscal repairs
6 on LFT, LR, 2 VMO adv. & OCP with meinscal repairs

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2005, 09:44:22 AM »
Here's a great link that can explain a lot--don't blame your doctor.  MRI's are far from fool-proof!  I actually considered them a waste of time, but the last one I had was awesome and showed lots of stuff.  It was brand new, with the latest software and equipment....

http://www.kneehippain.com/patient/mri/mri_fool.html

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005, 02:41:48 PM »
MRI's are NEVER 100% reliable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline mommann

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2005, 04:14:47 PM »
Thanks so much for the reassuance It is just that this was actually the first time I have ever had surgery or medical problems of any kind I have been blessed with my health So all of this is so new to me.  I knew my ortho was the best in my area but he is at a university hospital and a resident actually performed the surgery so that just made me a little more nervous. I am amazed though at how little pain I have had I can't wait to get this knee back in motion It will be spring gardening time before you know it.  Thanks agaion everyone for the info.