Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 2nd Synvisc injection today... :-/  (Read 3113 times)

Offline cjd72

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • Hello Nurse!
2nd Synvisc injection today... :-/
« on: January 15, 2005, 01:07:09 AM »
Had my second injections of Synvisc today...it was a toss-up.

I still had a bruise on the inside right knee next to the patella so the Doc thought he'd do me a favor and inject on the outside right edge of my patella, which wasn't so bad...but, and neither of us could figure it out, it started to hurt on the otherside of my knee about 2/3 of the way through the injection. Anyway it is still somewhat sore to move, and a little stiff...not horrible though.  :-/

The left knee on the otherhand went clean as a whistle, no pain, no pressure...he injected in the exact same place (inside edge of the petella) as last time with the left knee.   :)

Nothing a nice vodka martini can't fix.  ;)

Chris

11/28/97 - Fall from 24ft landed on my knees, Broken Femur, femorial nail
11/12/98 - Femorial nail removed
12/13/04 - OA in both knees, both tri-compartmental degeneration

Offline cdhaun

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: 2nd Synvisc injection today... :-/
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 12:12:50 AM »
I'm really replying to a lot of comments.  I just joined the board and thought I'd tell you what happened to me.  The first time I had the Synvac shots I had a baby doctor at a local hospital do the shots.  As One post stated, "it hurt like hell".  In fact, before I got off the table I told myself I would not do shots 2 and 3.  Then I stood up and where I had walked in using a cane (left the second cane in the car).  I walked out from the first shot with no problem and not using the cane.  After the three excruitating (however you spell it) shots in both knees I had nine months without knee pain and for the most part was able to walk normally for the first time in years.  

10 months later I was back to two canes and decided to try the shots again (by the way, when I had the first shots I was told that it was not know whether you could have the shots more than once.... aften ten months I was told I could have them as often as they were helpful).  Anyway, ten months later I went to a sports medicine doctor prepared to endure the agony of the shots.  As I gripped the table the doctor said, "You'll feel a pin prick, but then let me know if you feel anything else. "  I felt the pin prick and waited for the agony... the doctor kept saying "Let me know if you feel any pain cause that means I'm doing something wrong."  The second time he asked I said, "No pain just a movement in my leg" and he said, "Good!  OK, now you'll feel a pin prick on the other knee..."

So I found the pain comes from the doctor administering the shots.  You do not have to have agony with these shots, just a doctor who knows how to adminsiter them (and by the way, I am a needle coward and when I get blood work done I have to lay down because I have been known to pass out from the insertion of the needle).

Now as to the effectiveness of the shots this second time.  I had the second set of shots in July of 2004 and here it is January and I have not had to use a cane since then.  Oh yes, when I sit for a while and then get up to walk I have to wait for my legs to decide it's time to go, but once I am walking there is almost no pain.  

For your information, I am 61 years young and have (I am told) almost no cartiledge in my knees.  

I hope you have the success I have been experiencing.  I'm hoping the effect will last until June again and when it ceases to help, I'll have the shots again.

Hope this is encouraging to some of you.

Offline cjd72

• Regular Poster
  • Hello Nurse!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 12:32:34 AM »
Yup Cd,
Your initial horror story is the same as what spooked me...I had my GP do mine, but my Doc is also VERY needle happy, i.e. he is very good with  a needle.

Anyway, the sharp pain I felt only lasted a few hours, and was at the most the tiniest bit tender if I forced an over extiention of my right leg. The Doc did admit that he may have moved the needle a little, and that is why it hurt on that one injection. I've now had 4 injections so far, 2 in each knee, and only one hurt for a few hours.

Today I went skiing for a few hours this morning, felt like a million bucks. I'm only on my second shots and I'm already noticing an improvement. :)

Chris

Offline cjd72

• Regular Poster
  • Hello Nurse!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 12:34:34 AM »
Oh one more thing, I was a bit whiny on my first posting...the knee was pretty achey at the time, just wanted to purge a bit. ;)

Chris

Offline cjd72

• Regular Poster
  • Hello Nurse!
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 12:10:55 AM »
Well nothing new to add...knees are still feeling ok.  

Daring to say they may feel a little better since starting the Synvisc. :)

Chris

Offline cjd72

• Regular Poster
  • Hello Nurse!
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 04:34:10 PM »
Nothing new to add really, knees still feel pretty good.

Well, I will say the knees have felt strange all week, but it has been a 'good' strange. :)

...going in for the 3rd injection tomorrow. No worries. ;)

Chris

Offline nicole

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • It's our turn to play
    • Dallas Diamonds Football
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 06:25:11 AM »
Good luck to you Chris. Good to hear it seems the injections are doing you well.
My next one (second) is Monday.  I haven't really noticed anything since my first (two weeks ago), but I'm scared to take a jog.  The last running I did was Nov 20th and my knee stayed swollen (badly) for two weeks.  I'm not fond of running in the first place, so adding the last memory of pain followed by agony isn't helping me to get started :)  My walking around is about the same though and the crunching in my knee continues to vary by day.  So I'll just have to keep being patient I think.

Let us know how your third goes,
nicole

Offline cjd72

• Regular Poster
  • Hello Nurse!
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005, 07:27:42 AM »
Hi Nicole,
I don't know if it's different with every doctor, but my second injection involved a MUCH larger syringe. I'm guessing but my first injection must have been about 1 to 2cc the syringe looked labout the size of a short fat crayon. The second on the other hand must have a been closer to  6 to 8cc it was about the size of a roll of nickles.

The needle looked the same though.  :P

I wouldn't say I've had a outstanding improvment yet, but things do seem to be less painful so far. The knees have felt weird...beyond that it's hard to explain. For me the most noticable was skiing this weekend, by noon my knees usually feel like they are bleeding, but this time I was bombing down the moutnain like a maniac and by the end of the day my thighs were burning and my knees only ached a little. Usually the knees are telling me to stop after a few hours.

Good Luck on Monday. ;)

Have a great weekend. :)

Chris

support