Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: help very confused  (Read 701 times)

Offline funkymunky

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
help very confused
« on: January 14, 2005, 10:12:41 PM »
Hi,

Basically my OS told me these were the results of my MRI scan in my knee. My knee quite frequantly 'pops out & in very quickly' (instability), and this is a re-occurring problem since dislocating my knee 10 years ago.

-Cartilage worn away on back of knee cap and my bone has been rubbing on bone for 10 years and has been waring away

-I have a cist behind and down from my knee cap

-I would have to cosider my options on a major operation to take some tissue from my leg, grow some sort of membrane in a lab, drill lots of small holes in my knee cap and put the membrane over the knee cap to promote groth of cartilage on the back of the knee cap. This is apparantly new surgery because of the complexity of getting cartilage growing on a 'floating joint'

- I would also have to have surgery to 're-arrange' the anatomy of the knee with the ligaments / muscles etc.

Basically this has freaked me out! Has anybody had any of these problems before?  

He suggests having an arthroscopy and lateral release first just so we do not burn any bridges before the 'major' op in which case things will not really be reversable. The surgeon seems to think the old lateral release may not have been done properly and I may have lots of scar tissue present down there. Mr. Bullah if anybody has heard of him.

I has an arthroscopy & lateral release 10 years ago, and the knee still 'pops out' but not dislocate since. GHowever I have been shielding the knee for 10 years and lost all confidence in it anyway.

Any feedback at all would be appreciated? Sorry for the basic description and long text!

Thanks,

nick x

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: help very confused
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 11:11:47 PM »
Hi!
I can sympathize with the dislocations. I have been told that a LR alone would not help me and probably make me worse, but combined with the major realignment it might not be as bad. I would suggest doing a lot of research on the different types of surgeries like Lateral Release (LR), Medial Reefing, TTT, VMO advancement, etc...Also, it never hurts to get a second opinion.
Hope this helps! Good luck!
~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

support