Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Total Knee at 39?  (Read 933 times)

Offline hotrod

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Total Knee at 39?
« on: January 17, 2005, 11:07:02 PM »
First of all, I am new to this board, and new to any board as far as that goes! I was in heaven when I found this site because it looks to be exactly what I have been looking for. I was diagonosed with PFD chondromalacia (sp) back in 1998 and had a scope to clean things up and also had a LR. My job requires me to sit in a fixed position for long periods of time and my DR. said I have the worst possible problem for my job. Things were pretty good after surgery until about 7/04 when the pain returned big time. After another round of PT, we decided to scope again although my DR. said he was less than optimistic about long term relief considering the amount of cleaning up under the knee cap he did previously. Had the surgery 11/9/04 and noticed no difference in pain, and we decided that a round of hyalgan injections was the way to go. I just finished up my third injection, and if these do not work I am basically at the end of the line as far as my job goes. Is it reasonable to consider a TKR at my age, or should I be looking at different options? My DR. said they are doing some knee cap replacements, but we haven't talked alot about this at this point. Thank you. Rod.

shadehawk

Re: Total Knee at 39?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 11:32:51 PM »
Wow Rod, you are pretty young for a TKR.  Depending on the damage to your knee there are many proceedures that are offered.  There are alot of people on this site that have written good posts.  

As far as surgeries go,  there must be things that could be tried before a TKR like an osteotomy or a PKR for example and probably many more.

Research your condition, get a second or third opinion from an OS that specializes in knees.  Check out the surgeons on this site at the top of the page - maybe one of them is right in your area.

Good luck to you.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 11:57:25 PM by shadehawk »

Offline hottubpam

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 11:46:39 PM »
I'm no expert on TKR's, but what I've heard is that they are only good for 10-15 years and they can only be done 2 x in a person's lifetime, after that you'd be in a wheelchair.  So nobody wants to perform TKR's on someone your age, knowing that they could end up in a wheelchair by the age of 59.

I would explore every other option, before pursuing TKR, also I would recommend getting a 2nd and/or 3rd opinion.

Good luck,

Pam
ACLR, Menisectomy 3/04; ACL resection, Cyclops lesion removal, LOA & MUA 10/04; LOA, LR & AIR 12/29/04;#4&5 surgery on 2/9/05 & 3/2/05 debridement, irrigation & lavage, portal closure; #6  LOA, AIR, LR & other releases 12/9/05; #7 surgery 1/18/06 portal closure, lavage, debrid etc #8 skin graft 3/06

Offline Jan_L.

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 12:13:30 AM »
Hello hotrod,

I agree you are really quite young for a TKR (total knee replacement).  Do you realize that right now the average for most people will be two sucessful TKR.  Latter on. if the replacements fails the only option left is to fuse your leg straight.  Most TKR last 10 to 15 years,  the more active you are the shorter the life of the implant so that means by the time you are 59 you could end up with a fused leg.  So a TKR should be done only if NOTHING else works.  You really should think long and hard about this proceedure.  I had my TKR at 47 which was considered quite young.  I have had several complications and my knee doesn't bend enough to be functional.

I had the same problem, sitting was very painful for me also.  I am a potter (make pottery ) and was spending hours sitting at the potters wheel.  Years ago my doctor told me that I wasn't going to be able to this much longer.  So I had an OT (occupational therapist) come into the studio and help me come up with a way that I could sit at the wheel and take the stress off my knee.  I ended up building this wooden block that my foot sat on, which took the stress off my knee.   My leg was out almost straight with a slight bend which took the pressure off the kneecap.   Along with a few other changes, I was able to put my TKR off for years.  

Could you sit in a wheelchair that had a leg support on it, so that you leg would be semi-straight and elevated ?    A therapist could show you what position your leg has to be in to take the pressure off the kneecap.  

I know a TKR sound great ..... have a surgery and get rid of your pain forever ...... but it doesn't always work out that way.  I have more pain now then I had prior to my TKR.  MY doctor was telling me that as many as 50% of TKR patient still have significant pain afterwards but they are able to walk better.  

I did not have a TKR until the pain was so severe that I had to use a wheelchair to get around.   If you are still able to walk then  I suggest you wait!

I hope this helps.

Jan
1985 - auto accident- both knee went thur the dash.
1985 - 1990 Four scopes left knee
2002 - Fulkerson TTT
2003 - Scope Rt knee
2003 - Right  TKR
2003 - MUA, 2004 - MUA
2005 - Right TKR  revision
2006 TKR - left knee, 2 MUA
2007 2nd TKR  revision - Rt knee

Offline Jan_L.

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 03:37:14 AM »
Hello Hotrod,

I just noticed a posting that I think might be of interest to you.  Go to the topic:  "Soft Tissue Healing Problems" and look at the sub-topic:  "Why does sitting in a chair hurt??"   in particular look at what Heather M. has to say.  She had some suggestion for another person for dealing with pain while sitting,  which might also help you.

Good Luck!

Jan
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 02:26:39 AM by Jan_L. »
1985 - auto accident- both knee went thur the dash.
1985 - 1990 Four scopes left knee
2002 - Fulkerson TTT
2003 - Scope Rt knee
2003 - Right  TKR
2003 - MUA, 2004 - MUA
2005 - Right TKR  revision
2006 TKR - left knee, 2 MUA
2007 2nd TKR  revision - Rt knee

Offline flogs

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 06:29:38 AM »
Welcome to my world Hotrod. I have had 7 left knee surgeries in 4 years and I'm only 39 too. They are coming out with new technology all the time so keep your fingers crossed.

I have the opposite problem as you with all the walking and  stairs I have to do at work is causing my knee to deteriorate. From what my surgeon has said only 15% of my knee is damaged but its all weight bearing cartilage and it hurts everyday. I just bought a bottle of that LaKOTA joint care formula to see if that helps any because a guy at work swears by it. I'm hoping it helps cause I'm getting kinda worried about the Bextra I'm on with all the stories in the news lately. The weather here is horrible lately and that really affects my knee, been -40 with wind chill  burrr. Starting to warm up today so I'm hoping that helps a bit. My surgeon will not do a patella replacement as he told me he has taken alot out that have been put in and has seen nothing but problems with them.  That was just his opinion.

Good luck,

Flogs
83- arthro (L)
00- arthro (L)
00- Meniscus
01- Gr III Con Patella, Gr IX Fem Con (L)
02-meniscus, microfracture Fem Con (L)
03- Same (L)
03- Same (L)
04- LR,Microfracture
05-menicsus tear, microfracture
06-same Aug 4

JUST CUT IT OFF ALREADY

support