Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Pain in my good knee  (Read 825 times)

Offline imnotpunk

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • stupid knee!
Pain in my good knee
« on: January 13, 2005, 02:39:05 AM »
Hey all -
(I posted this in the patello-femoral board, but I figured I'd also post it here since I wasn't exactly sure which forum it belonged in, so I'm sorry for the double post.)

So my left knee (my "good knee") has been absolutely killing me again. When I'm going up and down the stairs (the gimp way, mind you), I feel a LOT of pain in the left knee along with some clicking and crunching. Last summer my chiropractor said I probably had a meniscal tear, which made sense to me because I've suffered from meniscal tears before and it does feel very similar. The pain would come and go, but lately it's coming more than it's going. I'm also experiencing a lot of pain in the tendon. My PT said I probably have severe tendonitis in the knee; I'm prone to tendonitis and the chances of rupturing my other tendon greatly increases because of already rupturing the other patellar tendon.

Anyways, I never got it checked out, and I'm wondering if maybe I should finally tell my OS about it or even talk to a GP about it. I've been favoring my right knee for two years now and my left knee doesn't seem like it has too much left in it anymore; I've put most of my weight on it for a long time now. I was talking about this with a man at PT today who is in need of a double TKR. For most of his life, his problems were always in one knee, but because he had to favor that knee and put a lot of weight on the "good" one, he wore down all the cartilage and tore the menisci up nice and good, thus needing both knees replaced. I'm basically worried that at this stage of the game I'm starting to do some damage to the good knee if it's not already somewhat damaged already (ie the torn meniscus).

Anyone have any input or suggestions? It would make sense to talk to my OS about it, but at the same time I'm thinking he's just going to tell me basically what I wrote in this post, therefore I won't get any new information or ideas for treatment. I guess the worst-case scenario would be an eventual scope on my good knee to clean it out, otherwise I'd just have to do some PT on it and make sure it's nice and strong seeing as it's taking the brunt of my weight anyways.

Thanks in advance and sorry for rambling (as I tend to do!)

Best wishes,
Patricia :)
R knee:
08/03-meniscal repair, LR
01/04-MUA, LOA
03/04-MUA
08/04-patellar tendon reconstruct. w/hamstring, menisci repairs, lateral/medial releases
10/04-MUA, LOA, debride., marsupialization, lateral release
12/04-MUA, LOA, meniscectomy
L knee:
09/05-meniscectomy, chondroplasty, microfracture

Offline LesleyR

• Forum Faithful
  • Things will only get better from here
Re: Pain in my good knee
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 04:44:41 AM »
hey patricia,
I think you should talk to your OS about this.  you've heard from your PT, might as well get your OS's opinion too.   in the end it might not end up to be so bad.  

good luck, hope this helps,
-Lesley  
20 Years old
10/6/05-Plica removal left knee
2/21/09 MCL grade II tear
Avid Rugby and Ice hockey Player

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
Re: Pain in my good knee
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 02:32:56 PM »
Patricia, You put into words exactly how I feel (except opposite legs LOL) I had e-mailed my OS in Dec about the problem and never got a reply. I finally went to my GP this week and he is helping me with pain management. He suspects good old arthritis in the good knee due to favoring the bad one for 3 years. I hesitate to see my OS because I am afraid that he will want to go in and look around. I just cant handle another surgery right now but I do fear that I am doing further damage by not having him look at it. I wish you luck with your situation and keep us posted on how it goes.

missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis