Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: any advice would be nice  (Read 1272 times)

Offline mandrake

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
any advice would be nice
« on: January 12, 2005, 08:48:55 PM »
 ???Hello everyone,this all started when i was 17(32 now)I was heavy as a youngster,iam now only slightly overweight,i put all my weight on my left leg swinging to kick a ball,i collapsed with pain,the knee felt like it went the other way(swollen),i rested it for 1 week,it was fine.
same incident when i was 22,swollen rested week fine,and again at 24 but not through football..
From then i have felt niggles in my left leg and wore a support,the last year(2004) my right knee is also niggling slightly.
In dec 04 i went for a rigorous 4 mile walk,i like to do some sort of excercise 3 times a week at least,it was freezing,the next morning i awoke,my left knee was as swollwen as it has ever been,it steadily got worse and bigger,i could not bend my leg,i had to go to hospital where they drained my left leg 3 times and right 1 time.
I have been off work for a month,i still feel niggles,severe grinding(when knee bends) and loads of clicking,the left far worse than the right,also the swelling is still coming back on the left leg when i walk(not as bad).
The hospital told me i had 'some form of arthritis',i went to my gp where i had a blood test with no results of this.
I now have a appointment with a private clinic to get an opinion(which is costing me £120) off a consultant in feb,then god knows how long for an nhs op.
I recently bought my first house,stresses are running high,i have a 30 year mortgage,i dont know whats really wrong with me and worried for the future,i have to go back to work this tuesday,which is quite physical at times,iam sure you can understand my concerns,also how many months before the op do you need to stop smoking?.thanx ;),
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 08:59:47 PM by mandrake »

shadehawk

Re: any advice would be nice
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 10:55:51 PM »
Hi and welcome to the board, sorry you are having knee problems like the rest of us.  :(

Your GP can give you anti-infammatories for swelling and pain relief.  Somethimes your GP will send you to PT first and others will send you right to the OS.  It all depends on the personal preferences of your GP.

The therapist (PT) will assess your condition and teach you exercises that will help with your condition and they can also give acupunture and ultrasound treatments to help with pain and swelling.  I found these treatments helped me alot.

Then the OS will assess you and decide if more therapy is warranted or if you need surgery.

It is a long process.  You could be doing straight leg raises at home to try and keep limber.  Look in the gym section there are good exercises there which help with knee problems.

Good luck.

PS do not know about the smoking, but some here say that OS will not do either a ttt or tto without you quitting.  I have been easing myself off this habit and soooo far I am doing pretty good.  I have gone from a pack of 25 per day to under 5 cigarettes  and somedays only 3 cigarettes a day.  Wish you luck if you taper off them also.   :)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 10:59:00 PM by shadehawk »

Offline mandrake

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 11:35:11 PM »
Thanks shadehawk for your advice :),i will follow it closely,i hope you succeed in your giving up,your doing well,i wish i could get down to five a day,you must be keeping youself busy.All the best ;)

shadehawk

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 11:49:14 PM »
This is what worked for me so far: (to ease off smoking)

celery sticks
carrot sticks/ with a little dab of ranch dressing
fresh mushrooms/with ranch dressing (just a dab)
water and water and more water

It really has helped and I have not had those terrible cravings like usual.  ;)

ariel

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 12:27:38 AM »
My advice mate - stay away from any heavy-impact exercise at the moment while your trying to find out what the problem is - it's not worth exacerbating the issue any more than need be - re the straight-leg raises that Shade mentioned - you can always get some wrap-around ankle weights from Argos (2 for a fiver, I got mine about 5 months ago) - that way you can keep your quads in shape while not puttng any impact stresses on the knee - quite neat really - anyways good luck and post back as you go along ;)

Offline mandrake

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 10:08:11 AM »
The leg raises would 2 sets of ten in morn,lunch,dinner(holding on 5 seconds,)do the job?iam not to sure on the schedule for this,iam new to quad strengthing,thanks for all your help.I will countinue posting my progress in hope of guidance and i wish you all success.cheers ariel ,shadehawk

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 03:05:13 PM »
Hey Mandrake,

Hi and welcome.  when you say you have grinding and clicking, does the kneecap click when you extend your leg?  If so, it could be some maltracking of the kneecap, might be something to ask the doc about when you see him next.  

The arthritis - as far as I'm aware, arthritis doesn't always show up in blood tests, but not sure if this is just for RA or also covers OA???? Maybe someone else can clarify?

I don't know if it depends on your surgeon or not but my surgeon didn't even ask me to stop smoking before surgery, he only asked how many I smoked per day!!  I just tried to cut down for a couple of weeks before the op.

Good luck on getting some answers, hope things work out for you.

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

ariel

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2005, 04:51:15 PM »
Re. straight-leg raises - I tend to do slightly less than that (roughly 2 sets of 5 on each leg every 2 days with ankle weights) but others might do more etc so canvas around here - (always listen to your body though when  doing your knee excercises - if you're experiencing any excessive agrevation/irratation then cut back or stop for a week) - if all goes well, it just gives you a little extra added muscle-bulk around the knee which helps prevent certain other potential knee problems/injuries.

Offline mandrake

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2005, 05:50:38 PM »
Hiya natalie,i never knew that arthritis never showed up in blood tests,i feel a bit let down by my doctor whom i considered a good quack,the clicking only happens when walking,only grinding when i extend left leg,or stairs,o yeah ariel them leg raises get you in the stomach dont they,once again i would like 2 say your all top people,thanx 4 ur time ;D             rab.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 05:51:28 PM by mandrake »