Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Pain going up/down stairs..........  (Read 1020 times)

Offline marty77

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Pain going up/down stairs..........
« on: January 12, 2005, 06:29:50 PM »
Hi,

Was just wondering if anyone out there could help me, I love running but for the last while my knee has been giving in after about 1/2 a mile, it's too sore to run on after that but I can walk ok. It also pains me going up and downstairs for a day or so after I run. I've had a X-ray but everything appears to be normal on it. Any ideas on what it could be and what I can do? Thanks!

shadehawk

Re: Pain going up/down stairs..........
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 07:03:24 PM »
Did you just go to your GP and he/she got x-rays done?  The only thing that shows up on x-rays are bones, if you are having pain then you should really ask your GP for a referral to an Orthopedic knee surgeon and have your knees assessed.

You should take a break from your running until you are checked out.

Have you been using the R.I.C.E. it helps out alot.  rest, ice, compression and elevate.  Motrin type medications can help with the pain in the meantime.

Hope everything goes well for you.  :)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 07:04:12 PM by shadehawk »

Offline phoenixrunner

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 07:25:41 PM »
Marty77,

Hey, i'm a runner too ---- and my one knee starting giving me some minor problems way back in 98.  I think that if i could have gotten some good help way back then i might have been able to avoid the knee surgery that i finally had last summer.

Seems there are tons of things that can go wrong with a knee joint - most of which can't be seen on an Xray. I'd expect that you would have to get an MRI that can at least see some soft tissue problems.  See if you can see a orthopedic surgeon that knows about knees...or maybe a sports doctor.  (I've even known folks who have had knee problems fixed by going to a naturalpathic doctor too...although i never went that route.)  I think that the most important thing is that you find a doc that really listens to you and takes some time with your case.  If he/she recommends a certain treatment (whether it is surgery or a kind of PT or something) it is good to ask how certain they are that the treatment they are perscribing might actually help.  Sometimes I think that after encountering a person with a knee problem docs can go into "automomatic mode" and simply put each patient through whatever their favorite treatment regime is...without really focusing on the particulars of the given case.  (Yikes! Do i sound to cynical?)

best of luck,
L.

shadehawk

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 09:52:08 PM »
You do sound cynical, but I certainly know why you say that, most of us with knee problems have faced this and want to warn others before it happens to them.

Do as much research as possible and do not be afraid to ask questions.  I have learned along the way and the best info you can go to a doctor with is a history, the types of things you have tried like taping, bracing, PT exercises and any assessments that you have had.  Type this all up on the computer and you will have a concise and easy to read letter for the doctor and you will not forget to tell him/her anything.

Hope this helps.   ;)  

ariel

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 12:44:06 AM »
Hi Marty - first rule of Knee club is - don't run on bad knee while acertaining the extent of the potential problem ;) - I injured mine (mountain running/jumping) and have regretted it terribly ever since - seriously though, while you're investigating any potential issues you'd be advised to stear clear of any high-impact excercise - perhaps do a little swimming and maybe straight-leg raises etc - to deal with mild pain you can utilise ibuprofen in conjuntion with R.I.C.E - good luck.