Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 3 meniscual tears  (Read 869 times)

Offline kwood

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
3 meniscual tears
« on: January 11, 2005, 10:12:43 PM »
My husband who is 31 has had three tears in the last year and a half.  He has been out of work with the last one for the last 6 months.  He has seen 3 diff MD and the last one told him he needs a high tibial osteotomy and then a cartlidge transplant.  He will deffinitely need a knee replacement but can't do one no due to his age.  This is a workman comp issue and they stink to say the least.  The MD told him he could try an off loader brace and see if it helps.  The other 2 MD told him to quit his job and find other employment because he stands on his feet 10-12 hours a day.  We can not afford a job change.  The MD seems to not really care.  Does an off loader brace help?

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Anyone seen the light at the end of the tunnel?
Re: 3 meniscual tears
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 02:05:11 AM »
Hi,
There are many of us here who know the wc story all too well.  and we have all been fighting them every step of the way.  Depending on where you are, there are different rules for wc and their practises.  First things, first, do you have a lawyer fighting for you?  If now, then I strongly recommend you getting one.  Wc do not care about the worker, they just want to find the easiest and quickest fix for the person regardless if it is the best in terms of recovery.  After all they are just an insurance company.
So, you are getting the run around.  Can you get in to see your own choice os?  This depends on where you live.  For example, here in Queensland in Australia, I could choose who I saw and when and I just sent wc the bill.  But in a lot of places this is not the case.  This is where the lawyer comes in.

How come your hubby keeps on tearing his meniscus?  Is he going back too early or does his duties place too much pressure on his knee causing the tears?  Surely the docs should have him on restricted duties to prevent re injury.  But this is not always the case.  This is where that lawyer comes in handy again.
How is your hubby's workplace in terms of cooperation?  Are they helping?  If not, then sick a lawyer onto them.

Basically, wc sucks.  You have to fight for absolutely everything, all the time.  Get a lawyer to help.  You'd be surprised how fast things can move once a good lawyer comes on board.
I hope you and your husband can get it sorted out satisfactorily soon.

Take care.
rk posterior meniscus tear. Successfully repaired 10 Sep,03. Now have nerve damage and cps which goes with it.  I want to slap the person who said 'It just takes time....'

Offline pegleg78

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • slow and steady wins the race.
Re: 3 meniscual tears
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 08:34:23 PM »
I have had meniscal tears and then removal of both meniscus followed by meniscal transplants. I was still having pain after that and a HTO or TKN was suggested (I am 26) but I don't want to do that yet, so I got an unloader brace. It helped me get back to work adn it has improved my quality of life so much! Have him look into a brace first and see if it helps. If it gives him relief then you know a HTO would also work but it is much easier to try a brace first before doing such an extreme surgery.
I have Townsend reliever brace which I love! They are a great company for making braces. Also Innovation sports makes a CTI unloader brace which is very good. I would stay away from donjoys (I absoultly hate my donjoy it just made my pain level increase)
Good Luck
99 ACL, med, lat men repair
00 Med menisectomy, lat men repair
01 med, lat meniscus transplant, ACL rev, LR
01 chrondroplasty, manip & debrid
02 med, lat partial menisectomy
03 Arthrotomy,  LOA, LR
05 chrondroplasty, lat men repair, shrink ACL
05  med menisectomy, chrondropla
05 med PKR