Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Any TKR success stories out there???  (Read 3870 times)

Offline SuburbanLife

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
Any TKR success stories out there???
« on: January 11, 2005, 09:42:27 PM »
I am soooo tired of heaing bad news here, I want some good, is there anyone out there that will share a success story about their TKR? I am having one done in March and I am finding it hard to get some good news here. I do understand that this site attracts more bad than good, but there has to be some good out there somewhere, I'd rather be optimistic about this!! Thanks!
March 2005-Total Knee Replacement

Offline Jan_L.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Any TKR success stories out there???
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 03:37:33 AM »
Hello Suburbandlife,

I have been told that 99% of all TKR go off without any problems.  The reason you are only hearing about the failed surgeries is because when everything goes well, there is no need to go to a knee web-site to look for additional info.  I have had 8 or 9 knee sugeries, I didn't come here until I had a surgery that failed.  The 99% of sucessful TKR patients are out living their life with their new knee and enjoying life!!  I know of several people that have had this surgery and they are pain free and doing very well!!!!  I don't know of anyone here that doesn't have a knee problem.  Considering how many TKR are done each day, it's amazing how few people here have had a failed TKR, that in itself should reassure you.  So you should do fine after your surgery!!!!!!

Jan
1985 - auto accident- both knee went thur the dash.
1985 - 1990 Four scopes left knee
2002 - Fulkerson TTT
2003 - Scope Rt knee
2003 - Right  TKR
2003 - MUA, 2004 - MUA
2005 - Right TKR  revision
2006 TKR - left knee, 2 MUA
2007 2nd TKR  revision - Rt knee

Offline ladypenelope

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 09:00:59 PM »
Hi Surburbanlife

Hope by how that you have had your TKR, I had mine done in January 2004 on the right knee and have just had a PKR (partial) on the left knee four weeks ago.  My right knee is fine, if a bit stiff at the moment because I can't do as much walking as I was because of the left knee, but am trying to keep it supple with exercises at home. 

I can honestly say that it takes at least six months to a year before the knee starts to feel right, if you know what I mean.  I used to feel all the metal inside but have now got so used to it, that it really doesn;t bother me at all.  Please feel free to contact at any time.   Hope to hear from you soon. 

ladypenelope
Washout both knees August 2003
TKR January 2004 Right Knee
PKR April 2005 Left Knee
Am very pleased got no more knees!

Offline SuburbanLife

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 10:21:17 PM »
HI There,
Yes, I had my TKR March 4th of this year. No, can't say I feel as tho I have come close to being recovered yet, so I would say that 6 months as you said should be much better, or closer to it by then. I had a minor infection that has turned into a wound that won't heal, and my progress with my ROM is not near what it should be altho I am making slow progress. Thanks for taking the time to let me know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I know it takes time and I accept that, but there are those times I think that I will never feel right again, take care...Lisa
March 2005-Total Knee Replacement

Offline ladypenelope

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2005, 10:20:16 PM »
Dear Lisa

Hope by now that you are feeling a bit better and that your infection has cleared up.  May once the infection has cleared up you will be able to concentrate more on your ROM.  There really is a light at the end of the tunnel of TKR, also PKR, having had mine done seven weeks ago my ROM is 120! and I really am getting about, not able to walk too far though and with the help and assistance of a walking stick as and when I need it.  In fact today I actually drove my car for the first time since having the knee done, and it was lovely to be able to go out on my own and not have to ask my husband to take me even to the shops!

As I said in my previous message, I really do think 6 months is a turning point and I really do think that even with my other knee.  So please, Lisa, take care and feel free to contact at any time.  Best wishes Sandra

Washout both knees August 2003
TKR January 2004 Right Knee
PKR April 2005 Left Knee
Am very pleased got no more knees!

Offline JBL

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • LIFE RULES - STAY COOL
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 03:53:42 AM »
Hi LadyPenelope,

I am having my first surgery in July on my right knee with a possible PKR or TKR OS going to make decision after scope on the same day, my feeling is I will have RTKR because I have problems with the caps also, not sure if doctors can do perhaps a PKR and just replace the cap but will check further into this before hand and the left knee will I feel be a LPKR in October, I have severe osteo on the inner knees.

My question to u is since u have had the different surgeries what has your experience been on a daily basis. 

Could u give me some tips as to what to expect with the both knees of different types and abilities

Thanking you in anticipation.   :)

Hugs   :-*
JBL
20/10/04  BILATERAL SCOPES
08/07/05  RPKR
09/12/05    LTKR