Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: knee surgery  (Read 2335 times)

Offline jules24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
knee surgery
« on: January 09, 2005, 01:11:38 PM »
i hurt my knee in june last year..after seeing various docs and and having a MRI scan it confirmed i have snapped my cruciate liagamnet and torn my cartledge..i am in a lot of pain and waiting to go into hospital..the surgeon is hoping to admit me before march..he has told me he is going to put the camera in my knee then repair the ACL and the torn cartledge.how long will i be in hospital and also what will happen afterwards? will i be in a lot of pain? i am pretty scared now of going through the surgery but i will do anything to get rid of this pain.

Offline Gab

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Boston, USA
Re: knee surgery
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 08:43:03 PM »
Well, it is a major knee surgery. I was in the hospital overnight and was sent home the next day with the help of my mom and a friend of mine. I was in a continuously passive machine (CPM) for ~10 days until I got my flexion past 90 degrees.

The surgery itself shouldn't be too painful if you take your medication religiously for the first few days (including waking up at set times during the night to take it).

The thougher part is actually the rehab. It is long, demanding and often frustrating as sometimes 2 steps forward, 1 one step back happens. Depending how good in shape the muscles in your leg are will also affect how quickly you'll get back to 'normal' but plan for a year to recover. I'm at 7 months post-op and although I can walk normally pain free, I still can't run hard core and am actually scheduled for a follow-up scope to clean some scar tissue in my knee.

So hope I didn't scare you off! You'll love the feeling of having your knee stable again I promise, there's nothing like being able to trust your knee once again. :)

Good luck!
Francois

P.S. You should check the 'Cruciate ligaments' section at the bottom of the forum, lots of ACL folks hanging around in there and lots of useful info posted regularly.
April 14th, 2004: Floor hockey accident, complete ACL tear (left knee).
June 11th, 2004: ACL reconstruction, patellar tendon autograft.
January 21st, 2005: Cyclops Lesion removal

Offline knight_of_knee

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 09:41:52 PM »
I had arthroscopic (camera in the knee) surgery last February.  I was admitted into day surgery around 6:30am and was in the back of my friend's car at 11:30am on the way home.  

I had to ride in the back because my knee didn't bend (it was in a locked brace) and I couldn't fit into the front seat with my leg straight.  Finally, the nurse and my friend helped me slide in so my butt was at one end of the backseat and my feet at the other.  Now that I've recovered, I can see the humor in the whole trying to fit Sid into the car thing.  As I remember, I was tired and still dopey and no help at all! :)

My pain immediately after the surgery was intense... I remember being in the recovery room and hyperventilating because it hurt a lot.  The nurses were like slow down your breathing, we're going to give you more pain medicine.  They did that and in 20 minutes I was fine... a little groggy though.

My post-op pain was well managed with Vicodin (which is acetaminophen with narcotic pain reliever.. codeine, I think).  Although it works really well, the down side to narcotic containing pain reliever is that it can cause constipation... especially if you aren't moving around a lot and eating a convience diet (for me, mostly pasta... low fiber because vegetables took too long to cook).  I think I would have prepared easy to eat food/snack/veggies before surgery if I had realized what a pain cooking would be.

Arthroscopic knee surgery compared to open knee surgery seems to be a whole lot easier, less painful, quicker in and out of the hospital, and less complication prone.  In terms of wound healing, my "holes" (from camera and tool insertion) healed up pretty quickly.  I did have a problem in one place where I got a little infection... according to my primary care doctor, this was caused by some disolvable sutures being rejected by my body and migrating from the inside of the knee to the outside.

My doctor also gave me a lovely pamphlet called "What to expect with Arthroscopic surgery" which was an easy and reassuring read.  Maybe your doctor has some pamphlets or knows some people who would be willing to talk to you about their experiences.

Good luck.

Sid

PS.  I used lots of cold therapy after the surgery.  I think it really helped with swelling.  Get an air cast cryo cuff if you can.  It's a cooler with a bladder that goes around your knee.  You let cold water from the cooler fill the bladder and when it gets warm you put the water back into the cooler via a disconectable hose and then refill with water that is chilled by the ice.

If you can't get that, bags of frozen vegetables are great, especially peas or lima beans because you can mold them around your knee.  If you have several bags, you can use one and then change it out for a frozen one while the first one refreezes.

Offline jules24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 09:59:36 PM »
thanks very much for the advice-i was really pleased to read it.i just wish i was in and out of hospital and all healed! never mind..wont be much longer..thanks again-julieXXXXX

Offline Gatesy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 11:19:37 AM »
Hi Julie

I think alot of what you can expect depends on your doctor and you.  I had ruptured both ACL and PCL and had them repaired taking a graft from my hamsting.  The op was very quick (40 mins) and only had a local anaesthetic.  The next day I had 90 degrees flexion and the day after 115+ degrees.  1 week after the op I could do the stairs at home with no crutches and now at 3 weeks I can cycle and walk with no pain/limp/crutches at all.  I have not had a single pain killer from day 1.  I think it shows that all people are different on how they recover and dont be too worried as its not always bad or painful, you always seem to see alot of bad news on here about how much it hurts etc, but that is not always the case as I can prove.  Good luck and make sure you use LOTS of ice!!

Offline jules24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005, 03:00:11 PM »
today the hospital actually foned and they have a cancellation so i am going in on feb 8th for my op! i am pleased-just want my knee fixed but i am a little bit nervous aswell  :-[

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 03:12:22 PM »
Goodluck Jules with your surgery. I'm sure it'll be great to get this done and over with and on with the recovery. Be patient with yourself and just take it easy. I agree with MrSquid, you should try to get a cryo cuff or polar care machine, my Polar care was a lifesaver after my surgeries.
Lot's of luck
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline jules24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2005, 03:16:08 PM »
Goodluck Jules with your surgery. I'm sure it'll be great to get this done and over with and on with the recovery. Be patient with yourself and just take it easy. I agree with MrSquid, you should try to get a cryo cuff or polar care machine, my Polar care was a lifesaver after my surgeries.
Lot's of luck
Linds

thanks very much! to everyone for all the advice.i am really glad i found this website,everyone on here is very friendly! so thanks!!! :)