Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: weird relationship between swelling and exercices  (Read 1672 times)

Offline Gab

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Boston, USA
weird relationship between swelling and exercices
« on: January 08, 2005, 10:17:30 PM »
I had an ACL reconstruction 7 months ago and was diagnosed with a cyclops lesion because of the clunking/popping and grinding at terminal extension. So at the beginning of December my knee was swollen and my PT told me to lay off the weights during the Holidays and to take it easy, which I did, in order to get the swelling down. He saw me on Tuesday, about a month later, and the swelling hadn't gone down much so I immediately booked a scope to clean the scar tissue and I'm scheduled on the 21st. So in the meantime I said to hell with it and went back to the gym on the leg press, stationary bike and other exercices to get the most out of it before my 2nd surgery.

I went twice this week and my leg/muscles were feeling pretty sore, but in that good way, the knee a bit stiff the following day but nothing too crazy. This morning I wake up, 2 days after my last workout: The swelling has gone DOWN, and considerably that is! Usually it's pretty stiff at extension first thing in the morning and this morning, NOTHING. Very smooth..

So I just don't get it. I rest the knee, it swells. Then I work-out and put strain on it and the swelling goes down. Can someone explain what the hell is going on!?!

P.S. I'm heading to the gym lol
April 14th, 2004: Floor hockey accident, complete ACL tear (left knee).
June 11th, 2004: ACL reconstruction, patellar tendon autograft.
January 21st, 2005: Cyclops Lesion removal

Offline Gab

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Boston, USA
Re: weird relationship between swelling and exerci
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2005, 10:21:05 PM »
Oh and I usually have a bit of tendonitis at the donor site (i.e patellar tendon) and also a bit on the outer side of the knee. It bothers me a bit but I'm used to it. That also went down so despite the cluncking, the knee feels great right now, after pushing it hard in rehab.

Wow.

shadehawk

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2005, 10:25:25 PM »
Have you by chance had some big weather changes of late like from cold to warmer?

This might have something to do with the way your knee acts.

Offline Jaci

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 12:15:06 AM »
Gab,

That is really weird!! I certainly don't have an explanation for what might be going on with your knee. In my case (one of those scary scar tissue stories you may have read  ;)) my knee is very tempermental. I ride the exercise bike 12 minutes and my knee is fine, if I go 15 minutes is swells and the pain goes through the roof. How can a few minutes make such a big difference???

I don't mean to nag you or rain on your parade-- it must feel great to finally have a pretty good workout-- but please be really careful about making any changes to your workout regime. I know I have a tendency to want to do even more if it seems like things are improving. But the last thing you want is an increase in swelling and, potentially, inflammation when you go in for your surgery. If I remember correctly, you had a lot of swelling and inflammation after your ACL recon. Inflammation is thought to be the "mother' of scar tissue, so it's critical to keep the inflammation under control. Dr. S is really careful to not perform surgery if t'here are any signs of inflammation.

I'm hoping that you're not one of us who has a genetic predisposition to forming scar tissue. The literature seems to suggest that those whose scar tissue is localized as a cyclops lession, rather than spread through every nook & cranny, are less likely to have a recurrance. Although some of our fellow KneeGeek's cases seem to contradict that belief.

BTW, there was a great article in the July-August 2004 issue of Arthroscopy: The journal of arthroscopic and related surgery on the arthroscopic treatment of the arthrofibrosis knee. I mention because it was co-authored by three OS in Boston, two (Thomas Gill & Peter Millett) are former Steadman-Hawkins fellows. The article outlines the process of distending the knee capsule with saline, systematically evaluating areas of the knee and removing adhesions, performing capsular release as needed, and finally checking for full ROM. Notice there is no MUA included in the procedure!! This is the surgical procedure developed and advocated by Dr. S.

I found the article through the e-Library for the univerisity I attend. I think it was science direct. I've not been able to find it through any of the free sources, but maybe someone on the board can track it down. It's definitely interesting reading.

Good luck with your upcoming surgery.

Take care.

Jaci
« Last Edit: January 09, 2005, 12:17:08 AM by JMStan »
10/03 Twist injury
12/03 Menisectomy- tears ACL, MCL, & LCL missed by OS
Arthrofibrosis ROM 38-68
3/04- 4/08 Multiple scar tissue procedures:
6 scopes w/LOA, AIR, LR, chondroplasty, synovectomy, bone spur & plica removal
3 insufflations, many injections
Chronic AF, patella infera, IPCS

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Anyone seen the light at the end of the tunnel?
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005, 02:57:54 AM »
Hi,
My knee does something similar to yours but our histories are totally different.  
My knee is what you would call 'high maintenance'.  If I don't swim AND do some gardening or manual work (within my limits)every week, then my knee feels like it is swelling and feels all gunky and hot inside.  On the outside, nothing much changes.  But if I do these things then it feels ok, as much as ok can be.  
Weird.

I don't know why it does this.  I just know it does this so I play along.  My garden is starting to look great.  ::)

In your situation, maybe your knee needed a break and you gave it one so now it is fine.  
Are you still going to have the scope?  Maybe you should ask your os again given how it is.  Maybe he has an explanation and you can avoid surgery.

Good luck.
rk posterior meniscus tear. Successfully repaired 10 Sep,03. Now have nerve damage and cps which goes with it.  I want to slap the person who said 'It just takes time....'

Offline Gab

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Boston, USA
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2005, 08:52:44 PM »
Thanks for your input! Actually I did change my workout regime a bit. On the exercise bike I used to put the seat height such that my leg would be in full extension at the bottom of the cycle. From time to time it would pop and clunk so I lowered the height a notch and it feels MUCH better, the knee feels so smooth when I pedal. Also on the leg press, I used to do lots of reps per set and now I stick to 3-4 reps max but by doing them MUCH slower, actually holding the position at certain angles. The knee moves less and the muscles work more. Yesterday my VMO was absolutely burning at some point  ;) I've actually noticed some clear definition and curves forming in that area recently, which is great.

Jaci, thanks for the advice about taking it easy before the scope. I hadn't thought about that actually...As for scar tissue, I really don't believe I have a genetic predisposition to it. However, I will admit that throughout my life I have always been prone to inflammation. I've had tendonitis in my shoulder before and my right wrist is hurting from time to time too. Following surgery, I've had tendonitis in the patellar tendon and the iliotibial band on the lateral side of the knee. Therefore: my body loves inflammation. So after the surgery, I'll be taking celebrex daily as well as icing the knee down to reduce inflammation to a minimum. Hopefully that will do it.

sienna, there's no way I'm post-poning this scope. I've been post-poning it for months now, hoping that the clunking and grinding were due to muscle weakness. Don't get me wrong, I truly wish I didn't have to go through surgery again, but it's been slowing my recovery so much I'm actually looking forward to the scope.

Thanks again for your input!
Francois

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Anyone seen the light at the end of the tunnel?
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 02:30:52 AM »
Well you know your knee best and like I said our histories are totally different.  And you have been post poning for some time hoping to avoid surgery.  
So it seems like you've done all you can to avoid surgery so all I can say is good luck.  

I wish you well.  It's good that you can seem some definition around your knee as this strength will help you get through rehab better.

Take care.
rk posterior meniscus tear. Successfully repaired 10 Sep,03. Now have nerve damage and cps which goes with it.  I want to slap the person who said 'It just takes time....'

Offline Gab

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Boston, USA
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2005, 04:35:41 PM »
Thanks much :)

Yeah the definition is very good indeed, now when I fire my quads I see the same shape on both legs, it's just that one leg is still smaller (I call it Mini-Me  ;D)

I had some pretty bad atrophy BEFORE my first surgery..Coupled with my swelling and inflammation problems I've had afterwards, it doesn't surprise me sometimes that I'm still having problems up to this day..