Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ? RE: JAS Knee Extension/Flexion Device  (Read 3739 times)

Offline hottubpam

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
? RE: JAS Knee Extension/Flexion Device
« on: January 07, 2005, 05:35:22 PM »
After my 3rd knee op on 12/29/04 for LOA, LR and AIR my OS prescribed a JAS knee extension/flexion device.  I was fitted with the device by the JAS rep on 1/4/05 and he went over the operating instructions.  I thought I understood how to work the darn thing, but when I got it home and tried to use it and adjust it - I am totally confused.

This is my 4th prescription brace in the past 11 months.  I had no problems figuring out how to adjust and use the others, but this new one is entirely different.  I'm hoping someone on this site has some experience with this diabolical machine and can help.

If I ever get the machine to work, I am suppose to use if 1/2 hour a day in the extension position and 1/2 hour in the flexion position.  After one week, I increase usage to 1 hour a day in ext. and 1 hour a day in flexion and then beginning the 3rd week I go up to 1 1/2 hrs a day in each position (ext. & flexion).  There is a ratchet there is used to gradually increase the torque on ext. and flexion.

Just FYI, the device is set in one position for extension by adjusting the pull pins in specific holes.  The flexion position requires different pin positions.  I can't even get the pull pins into the holes.  

Anyway if anyone has used this monster, any advice/instructions would be helpful.

I call the JAS rep and told him I was unable to make it work.  He is meeting me at my Drs. office next Tuesday for more instructions.  I told him if I can't get it to work after the next session, he can have it back.  Right now the frustration of trying to figure it out is driving my blood pressure up and doing my knee ZERO good.

Thanks for any advice.
Pam
ACLR, Menisectomy 3/04; ACL resection, Cyclops lesion removal, LOA & MUA 10/04; LOA, LR & AIR 12/29/04;#4&5 surgery on 2/9/05 & 3/2/05 debridement, irrigation & lavage, portal closure; #6  LOA, AIR, LR & other releases 12/9/05; #7 surgery 1/18/06 portal closure, lavage, debrid etc #8 skin graft 3/06

Offline Jan_L.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: ? JAS Knee Extension/Flexion Device
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 06:12:13 PM »
Hi Pam

I had a JAs brace for several months.  It was very helpful, I believe my ROM would be much less had I not had the device.

Resetting the pins can be a bit tricky.  I put a small piece of tape next to the holes so I would know where to put the pins.  I found it helpful to look at the pictures on the instructions, do you have the handouts?  If not then check their web site.  If you play with it you should be able to figure out how to reset it.  If you pull the pins (after you mark the holes ) then you can bend it into the desired shape and then see which holes line up.  Let me know if I can be of more help.

Jan
1985 - auto accident- both knee went thur the dash.
1985 - 1990 Four scopes left knee
2002 - Fulkerson TTT
2003 - Scope Rt knee
2003 - Right  TKR
2003 - MUA, 2004 - MUA
2005 - Right TKR  revision
2006 TKR - left knee, 2 MUA
2007 2nd TKR  revision - Rt knee

Offline hottubpam

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: ? JAS Knee Extension/Flexion Device
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2005, 03:49:36 AM »
Hi Jan,

Thanks for the feedback and glad to hear it worked for you.  That's encouraging, maybe I won't throw the darn thing out into the snow bank.

I do have the instructions and have I do know where to put the pull pins for extension and flexion .  I have even been able to get the device to work today, but for extension only.  When I try to reset the pins for the flexion position, I can  get one pin to fit but not the other.  There is nothing in the instructions that describe how to go from the extension setting to the flexion setting.  I think there must be something I need to do with the ratchet.

Oh well, I'll find out for sure when I meet with the rep again on Tuesday.

I still think the contraption is way too complicated to be effectively used for both extension and flexion.  

It better be worth all the hassle.

Thanks again,
Pam
ACLR, Menisectomy 3/04; ACL resection, Cyclops lesion removal, LOA & MUA 10/04; LOA, LR & AIR 12/29/04;#4&5 surgery on 2/9/05 & 3/2/05 debridement, irrigation & lavage, portal closure; #6  LOA, AIR, LR & other releases 12/9/05; #7 surgery 1/18/06 portal closure, lavage, debrid etc #8 skin graft 3/06