Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: EXERCISES YET?  (Read 1134 times)

Offline jerrymhg

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
EXERCISES YET?
« on: January 06, 2005, 07:58:17 PM »

User's Text

Newly out of immobilizer- help w/exercises
on: Today at 17:56:59  Quote  Modify  Remove  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi- Suprised when after 5 and one half weeks w/immob. Dr- removed it (except when I go out- snow on ground now)- gave me one exercise to do 5-6 times a day.  It really kind of hurts- sitting in chair(I have to watch back - have herniated discs- with back well supported) and try to let my knee come down from my usual perpendicular postition that I have kept for 5 weeks and let it drop down ( so now the knee is bent as far as I can bend it so foot slides back as much as I can stand and hold for a few seconds- then bring leg up to the perpendicular position again- and give a big stretch on the hamstrings and hold- supposed to do this 4 or 5 times each set. Boy- it is hard- I was suprised that this is all he wants me to do- I have my final xray in 4 weeks- I wondered if it would be a bad idea to add a few things that I saw at the gym on this website- esp. on the early. rehab program- some up on the toes, balancing exercises= all on this web site. I really would love to hear some feedback. Thanks  

Offline Jaci

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
  • User's Text
Re: EXERCISES YET?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 06:34:39 AM »
Hello, Jerry,

I don't feel particularly qualified to give you advice as I have an entirely different knee problem. But, it does seem a little strange that your OS is not having you do any quad strengthening exercises. These can be as simple as quad sets and straight-leg raises, neither of which are likely to put too much stress on your patella.

It seems that his main focus is ensuring that you regain flexion. Has he mentioned anything about going to formal physical therapy? I had to ask my first OS on three separate occassions before he wrote me a prescription for PT. In my case, it was extremely detrimental to wait so long.

Have you tried posting down in the bone breaks around the knee section. I seem to recall seeing posts from a few people with patella fractures.

Good luck to you. I hope you have a smooth recovery.

Take care.

Jaci
« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 06:35:11 AM by JMStan »
10/03 Twist injury
12/03 Menisectomy- tears ACL, MCL, & LCL missed by OS
Arthrofibrosis ROM 38-68
3/04- 4/08 Multiple scar tissue procedures:
6 scopes w/LOA, AIR, LR, chondroplasty, synovectomy, bone spur & plica removal
3 insufflations, many injections
Chronic AF, patella infera, IPCS

Offline jerrymhg

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: EXERCISES YET?
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 04:44:28 PM »
Hi Jaci
Yes I am doing straight leg raises and some quad strengthning exercises - not w/ physical therapist- but the Dr. showed me in his office exactly what he wanted me to do. Perhaps, when I go back in3 weeks for my final xray he may put me into formal physical therapy.

support