Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Bad Knee needs surgery  (Read 2102 times)

Offline Pook

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • Knowledge is Power! Or is it?
Bad Knee needs surgery
« on: January 04, 2005, 02:16:07 AM »
I have had some problems with my left knee that got alot worse after falling on it at work in October.  My OS told me that he is recommending to workers comp that I have surgery. They called to tell me that it was approved and it is scheduled for 1/19/04, problem is, I don't know what he is going to do.  The MRI shows a tracking problem with my patella and it grinds like mad especially on stairs. He said the cartledge looked good so I guess he may want to clean up under the patella and reposition it in the groove better.  I called back this morning to make an appointment with the OS to find out exactly what he plans to do.   My house has stairs and that has me freaked out because my bedroom is upstairs and there is no way I can sleep on the couch. Any of you deal with workers comp?  Do they pay for a hospital bed to be put in your living room?  Or will I be able to go up and down the stairs after surgery?  I have been reading as much as I can find on what they can do for a knee like mine, but finding that a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing because it just brings up more questions I don't have answers for.  ??? I guess I am just freaking myself out and need to calm down.  I also can forsee crutches being a problem because of pain in the base of my thumbs, that has gotten worse since I had to stop taking Celebrex.  I doubt my hand will be able to hold my weight on crutches.  This whole thing is really bumming me out.  UGH!

brattkids2

Re: Bad Knee needs surgery
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 02:37:16 AM »
Take a deep breath ahhhhhhh.

Best of luck to you on your surgery!! All will go well.

Can you call your OS office and talk with one of the nursing staff to see what you will have done?? Mabey this will put your mind at ease a bit!!

As for going up and down the stairs it really depends on what you are having done and how good you can manage crutches if you are on them!!

Hope you can get a few answers soon!!

Paulette

Offline Pook

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 05:15:50 AM »
Thank you for your kind words.  I shouldn't let this upset me but I just went thru a bad situation with my best friend this summer when her hysterectomy went terribly wrong and she nearly died.  I don't trust doctors but I am tired of this knee and want to get it fixed! I just check with the board of medical examiners for my state and there are no bad reports against this doctor so I guess I just need to trust that he knows what he is doing.   Thanks again.

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 07:01:57 AM »
There's no way I'd let a doctor operate on me without knowing exactly what he was going to do, and why.  Then I'd get another opinion to see if that proposed procedure was really necessary, and if it was the best one to do for my condition.  I say that because I had grinding and mal-alignment, and had a lateral release.  I later found out that the surgery I had was pretty much the wrong thing to do, that I need a bigger procedure, which I would have known if I'd just gone for a second opinion with a doctor who specialized in tracking problems.  Live and learn.

I understand that there is a lot of bureaucracy, but...I don't understand how mal-tracking could be a workers comp issue, so I'm wondering if the doctor isn't going to do something else?  Mal-tracking is usually the result of bad genes giving you crummy mechanics.  BUT it can also come after a blow or fall that damages the articular cartilage, which can cause pain and make the quads shut down.  That could lead to serious tracking problems, but usually the fix would be physical therapy.

Anyway, instead of wondering about beds and stairs, I'd be asking what exactly was going to be done to my knee and why.  Then, if I was okay with that, I'd be planning how to get my home arranged for post-op.  If you are able to, get crutches in advance and practice doing the stairs.  If you are too woozy to do stairs with crutches, you can go up and down on your bum...lots of people do it. ;-)

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Pook

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 03:01:09 AM »
Maybe I wasn't clear.  I dislocated my kneecap and now what used to be a minor malalignment is a major malalignment.  

I talked to the Surgeon's nurse today and she says they are going to do Chrondroplasty with a scope and open Distal Patellar Realignment.  

I was a bit upset because he was not going to tell me all of this until a pre-op appointment the day before surgery!  I told her that I needed the information allot sooner than that in order to make arrangements for my life, my job and my family!  

My boss is a bit curious about how long I would be gone and my 88 year old father lives with me and needs care.

They don't even consider these issues!  Unbelievable.

So now I can kinda figure I am going to be disabled for a while and need to deal with some stuff ahead of time, like somewhere to sleep without having to climb 15 stairs.

If only the maintenance dept would have taken care of that tripping hazard, I would not be in this mess.  

As you can tell I am a little pissed, thanks for letting me vent! >:(

Offline islandgirl2

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 07:01:19 AM »
I've been pissed about my situation for the last three months.  Go right ahead and be as pissed as you like.  This is the right place to vent.

Anyway, I had stairs to contend with and I do not recommend crutches unless you want to risk falling.  I arranged to have a small bed in the family room downstairs, and prior to the surgery I bought a small basin for cleaning myself off until I could have a shower.  I also had a couple baskets with toiletries and medication, comb and brush, body lotion, deodorant etc. Also got a big box and put all my undies, shorts and tops so that it was easy for my husband to find everything.  Get some books and magazines, movies and music ready and most of all, don't forget your medication i.e. CHOCOLATE.  It helped a lot.  Keep the phone nearby too.  

In your case, you'll need someone to help you with your dad I think.

Good luck.

Offline Pook

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2005, 05:10:42 AM »
 Thank you, those are very good suggestions!  I have a bathroom downstairs but I need to equip it better.  Dad does pretty good but my husband is going to have to take care of meals for awhile.  At least dinner anyway.  I totally take for granted being able to access what I need easily so this is going to take some thought and preparation.  I appreciate any feedback, it is good to be able to talk to people who have gone through or are going through what you are.  

Very honestly, I am scared.  I fear pain and my Mom told me that the deep bone pain from this kind of surgery is the worst.  She had a hip replacement and said it was horrendous.

I fear that I will be in worse pain than I am now and I will have gone thru all that for nothing/  I don't see where very many of you have had that experience or perhaps only temporarily, so I guess I need to trust that the OS knows what he is doing.

I will start doing some prep work, maybe it will help keep the heebeejeebees away.

Offline Pook

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2005, 05:27:26 AM »
Good News today, Dr wrote Rx for hospital bed so I will not be trying to go up and down the stairs.  My husband and best friend have forbid me from even trying for the first week or more because of what a clutz I am without complicating it with the torture device you all so "fondly" call and "Immobilizer".

Also spoke to a co-worker in an office down the hall who had his knee surgery a week ago at the same Surgical Center that I will be using and he had nothing but nice things to say about his treatment there.  So I feel better about that too.

So all in all I have had a better day.  Still get scared when I think about it too much, almost wished it would have been scheduled sooner so I wouldn't have so much time to think about it.

I asked my daughter to make me some of those breakaway pants I have heard about.  She is a seamstress, makes homemade diapers etc so she has those nice plastic snaps they use on kids clothes.  I am going to give her a pair of my baggy flannel jammie bottoms to alter into ones I can get on without going over my wounded knee.

It sure has been a help to read these boards and learn how to help myself through this.  Ain't the internet neat?

Pookie

Offline Jaci

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2005, 07:59:00 AM »
Pookie,

That's great news on the hospital bed. My home also has two stories, so I know how treacherous stairs can be when you've had knee surgery. I, fortunately, have a sofa-bed downstairs. Not very comfortable, but definitely better than trying to navigate the stairs.

Here's a link to a great list of things to do to prep for surgery:

http://www.arthroscopy.com/sp05030.htm

Good luck with your surgery and recovery.

Jaci
10/03 Twist injury
12/03 Menisectomy- tears ACL, MCL, & LCL missed by OS
Arthrofibrosis ROM 38-68
3/04- 4/08 Multiple scar tissue procedures:
6 scopes w/LOA, AIR, LR, chondroplasty, synovectomy, bone spur & plica removal
3 insufflations, many injections
Chronic AF, patella infera, IPCS

Offline favouritesearcher

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2005, 02:04:05 PM »
Another thing to consider is the getting a shower chair or something to help get in the bath.  I had to use one for six months because my leg was too weak to stand on for 10mins.  Also another chair for using the sink and maybe a stool to support the leg while sitting on it.

Stairs?  If there's a handrail they're not too hard.  Without one they're very dangerous.  They should show you how to do stairs with and without a handrail and you need to do it to negotiate curbs.  There's probably more risk in the bathroom.  I had to walk up 40 stairs to go outside but the only two near-falls were tripping on the edge of the fridge and a table leg.

Good luck for the 19th.

John
Mar 04 - Tibial spine avulsion fracture (skiing). Open surgery to fix, 1 screw.  Max passive ROM 20-75, active ROM 30-45
Aug 04 - Diag. severe arthro. Scar tissue clean up (LOA, removal of scar tissue).
Feb 05 - Discharged from surgeon's care. ROM 3-125.
Apr 05 - Discharged from physio. Same ROM

Offline Jaci

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2005, 04:19:36 AM »
Pookie,

Here are a few other suggestions as you prep for surgery:

Put new batteries in the TV remote.

Attach a cell phone or portable phone to a belt or lanyard and have it with you where ever you go, especially if you are home alone.

Use a backpack, handled gift bag, soft-sided lunch bag, or some other bag with handles or a strap so you can carry things while on crutches. I put a folded hand towel inside to keep things from tipping.

Plastic food storage containers work well for just about any type of food. Remember that hot foods cause expansion that can cause the lid to pop off.

Use a travel mug that has a tight seal to carry coffee or hot drinks.

If your thumbs are still giving you trouble, maybe ask your OS about a walker.

If you have a pre-op appt with your OS ask for a prescription for your post-op meds. Some OS wait until the day of your surgery, then you have to have someone run out to get it filled for you. Make sure your OS knows how concerned you are about the level of pain you may experience.

I hope you're heebeejeebees are get better as you prepare for your surgery and recovery. I think its perfectly normal to have some anxiety about such things. As far as stairs go-- I felt ready to try them about 3 or 4 days post-op, but I had a far different surgery from what you are having. I spent 18+ hours a day on a CPM machine, so I was really thankful to have the sofa bed downstairs.

Take care.

Jaci
10/03 Twist injury
12/03 Menisectomy- tears ACL, MCL, & LCL missed by OS
Arthrofibrosis ROM 38-68
3/04- 4/08 Multiple scar tissue procedures:
6 scopes w/LOA, AIR, LR, chondroplasty, synovectomy, bone spur & plica removal
3 insufflations, many injections
Chronic AF, patella infera, IPCS

Offline Pook

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2005, 08:10:23 AM »
Thanks for all of the pointers!  

I am so glad there are people out there that have been through this that can think of things for me that I probably would think of too late!  

I have started gathering up stuff and cleaned out the downstairs bathroom drawers.  

I may get a wheelchair for the first few days to a week so I don't fall on the crutches while on pain meds.  I am not kidding, I am such a clutz I would trip on the dog or something.

I will keep following the boards, I am learning so much.  

I am still scared but I am glad I have this resource.

Thanks again to everyone!

I