Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Botched operation ruined my life.  (Read 6632 times)

Offline kneed

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Botched operation ruined my life.
« on: December 31, 2004, 06:30:46 PM »
This is where you can read my story. Make sure you read it if you are having knee surgery. Happy new year.

http://aziz.typepad.com/butchered/

Offline islandgirl2

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: Botched operation ruined my life.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2004, 07:31:44 PM »
What an SOB! >:(

Mine is in the US and is supposed to be a top OS in my city, but I've found him quite difficult to deal with, and after the surgery he told my husband that the torn meniscus was TOO  deep and too far to get to, so he opted to drill some holes to promote healing.  Six weeks later I still cannot walk or stand on that leg for more than 10 minutes.  He now says it will be 3 months before I get any relief, but I'm doubting his words though.  These bastards should NOT be getting away with this sort of thing!!

I cannot imagine your frustration, but I do hope you will not give up and will be able to bring this man out into the open.

Good luck.

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 23
  • From the Land of OZ
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2004, 07:47:51 PM »
KNeed

I can really sympathise with your story. My perfectly functioning knee was ruined by my 1st OS . I didn't even have a knee injury, but a broken distal 1/3 tib-fib. This was 4 yrs ago and in 3 1/2 weeks I am getting the knee replaced. That's how bad it is. I've had to go thru 7 surgeries because of him and rehabbing for 4 yrs. Yes, it greatly altered how I function and enjoy life. I used to be a very active person too. I also have sued my doc and have begun year 3 on that suit. My doc was also in denial he did anything wrong and tried to tell me it was all OK. There are some real bad apples in the doctor basket and I got stuck with a doosey for my first OS. Since then I have had 4 excellent docs taking care of me and trying to get me repaired as best they can. Unfortunately when you get a bad one, it can be devastating.

Best of luck to you with your knee

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
openLOA, 6 neuromas excised,synov
3 Fusions

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2005, 01:16:28 AM »
Kneed,

What were your actual diagnosed complications?  It seems you had post-op infection...this could be the fault of the hospital ward as well, due to unclean conditions.  It would depend on which type of bacteria you had in the knee--some are known to exist only in hospitals.

Also, how is your function now?  What is your actual diagnosis and prognosis?  How is your pain?  I also had my knee ruined by a combination of poor medical decision-making and infection and just plain bad genes.  My original surgeon was excellent, he'd just never seen a case of severe scar tissue like I had.

After 5 procedures in 10 months, I went to see Dr. Richard Steadman--he is my hero.  If you can swing it in any way, I urge you to go see him if you are still suffering.  He's an incredibly thorough, thoughtful, and HUMBLE surgeon.  His skill speaks for itself, so he doesn't see the need to give ridiculous probabilities like 96% chance of full recovery to boost his appearance of being a great surgeon.  

Anyway, I just wanted to say that there are unfortunately quite a few of us in your situation.  I understand the frustration at having the life I lived before be gone.  It's a good thing I did my traveling and crazy stuff like sky-diving when I was in my 20's, because at age 31 I had my first surgery.  I turn 35 today and am worse off knee-wise than I was before my first surgery.  I waited too long to see Dr. Steadman, and now my knee is a salvage case.  I almost wish I could be mad at someone, but it was just a series of disastrous events combined with my freaky body.....

It's good to get your story out there, hopefully it will help people understan that any surgery comes with risks, and a doctor who downplays them should be questioned.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Anyone seen the light at the end of the tunnel?
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2005, 04:22:48 AM »
I read your story and like others here am distressed by it.
My os hit a nerve but didn't want to admit that he did.  'Time, you just need more time'.  Man you could imagine what I wanted to do with this statement.
Anyway, I want to sue my employer but am unsure as to whether I can get my case together.  It's a case of knowing the facts but finding someone who has actually written it down.  A feeling I know you know well.

I am sorry that this has ruined your life and like you have found the true meaning of friendship.

I hope that you can get together other maimed patients and sue this bastard for all he is worth in a very public successful case.

I wish you and your family all the best.

Take care.
rk posterior meniscus tear. Successfully repaired 10 Sep,03. Now have nerve damage and cps which goes with it.  I want to slap the person who said 'It just takes time....'

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2005, 04:30:35 PM »
My first OS told me that he could fix my ankle but I would have to learn to live with the knee pain. Well, I let him "fix" my ankle. I went back for months telling him that my anklewas  still unstable. It would turn over constantly. He actually told me that it was all in my head.

I got a second opinion, he ignored my ankle and offered to scope my knee. I was not comfortable with him and he would only continue to see me if I allowed him to do surgery immediately. NOPE.

soooooooooooooo, I contacted a famous group in another state. I had to send all of my medical records before they would even consent to see me. THEY DID.
Within 5 minutes, the new OS told me that my ankle was not stable YEAH, I AM NOT NUTS. ANd that if I did not fix  the knee, it would lead to serious problems down the road..

New OS redid my ankle in 02 and it has been great. He started on my knee in 03. I have had 4 operations on it so far. I have had multiple complications but I dont blame the dr on this. My body just went nuts.

The point to all of this is that I think that there are quacks out there everywhere. YOu have to be sooo careful. My original OS did wipe out about 600.00 in bills that I still owed him (I think he was afraid that I would sue him). He didnt ruin my ankle but he sure didnt help it either. He was a nightmare to deal with. I do tell anyone who asks, not to use this man LOL.

best of luck
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline kneed

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2005, 10:19:35 AM »
Thank you all.
Do I have your permission to use parts of your messages in my site?

Cheers,
Kneed.

Helen_uk

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2005, 03:42:30 PM »
Hi there good grief you eally have been thro it. alot of my problems are now believed to be from uneccesary surgery when I was younger from avery knife happy surgeon who thankfully has now retired. I have been lucky in that my present os has made me more mobile than I have been for the last 15 to 20 yrs.... he has been my saving grace but I sadly have to endure more surgery to finalise my nightmare and reduce my pain.
I am considerably disabledand in alot of pain.
I would be very interested to know who this doc was so if only to avoid him and hopefully find he isnt my os.
Good luck
Love H xxx

Offline AndrewC

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2005, 05:56:00 PM »
Hi there Kneed

Really sorry to read your story......MAN....that "OS" needs to be brought up in his tracks. It is just unbelievable how Surgeons seem to have got things wrapped up here in the UK as far as protecting themselves go.

I have even found it hard to get a second/third opinion due to who my first OS was, other surgeons just seem to be VERY wary about treading on each others toes....let alone allocating blame for a botched operation  :o

How are you now Kneed? and the pictures from your site really DO tell the story better than words ever could  :o

Hope things improve for you soon
Big bucket handle tear to lateral meniscus from sporting injury. Arthroscopy and meniscal repair carried out June 2004. sloooowwww recovery!!

2018 - torn medial meniscus in RH knee, partial extrusion. ongoing issues,

Offline kneed

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2005, 01:20:32 AM »
Thanks Helen & Andrew.

Please email me via the website and I will answer any questions. Also, please use the comments option to leave any message as it will be helpful for others to read as well.

Cheers,
Kneed.

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2005, 02:54:20 AM »
Dear Kneed, I always hate to read of stories similar to mine where we place our trust, and are USED by surgeons until they get to the place they would rather discard us. My OS did not find the injuies for over 4 months, and then cauased a post op bleed, with subsequent MRSA infection. Multiple scopes, and then a tkr that failed because he would not listen to me and kept telling me that there was "NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT KNEE" well it turned out that the prosthesis had broken off in my knee and I had to have more surgery. BUT nobody on my insurance ppo plan wanted to touch my knee. THEIR ANSWER" THE LEGAL LIABILITY IS TOo Great" I called over 75 physcians who refused. So when I had the last revision surgery, the surgeon walked into my room 12 hours later, and said"WHY DON"t YOU just sue me and get it over with?"  DUHHHHHHHHHHHHH The papers will arrive when I work out everything with the attorneys , from his ignoring me, lying to me and stealing from me during the time I was under general anesthesia, along with the hospital and staff that went along with his plan of theft.My suit involves  the product failure along with the dr. mistakes. I wish you luck, and think it is too bad we have to resort to suing, that there should be protection for us other than in the courts, that take so many years to resolve. Teresa
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

Offline kneed

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2005, 10:14:37 AM »
Dear Teresa,
I have added your post to my website. I hope that is ok with you.

Kneed.

Offline Gab

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Boston, USA
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2005, 07:29:13 PM »
Holy crap, that sucks a**!!  :o

I'm truly sorry to hear this. I'm so paranoid about my knee, I actually switched OS before my reconstruction because I had the feeling the original one didn't care enough and wanted to do an allograft just because it would take less time. I have a bit of an issue with my knee right now and am sticking to the OS who operated on me but at the first fishy sign I'm outta there.

So what's your outlook on your knee given your (what appears to be) permanent disability? Is a total knee replacement an option at this point?

Again wow, sorry to hear about your misfortune. I can certainly understand how this guy ruined your life, I'd probably want to shoot him in the head  >:(
April 14th, 2004: Floor hockey accident, complete ACL tear (left knee).
June 11th, 2004: ACL reconstruction, patellar tendon autograft.
January 21st, 2005: Cyclops Lesion removal

Offline kneed

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2005, 08:55:33 AM »
Hi Gab,

Thanks for your comments. My right knee needs to be replaced but I am too young for that in case I out_live it!! My left knee has had enough of doing all the work and it is a real mess too and needs to be scoped but I am very worried in case it gets worse.

I am adding your post to my site, hope you don't mind.

Cheers,
Kneed.

Offline Ron22

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2005, 06:06:34 PM »
oh yeh..my maquet/bone graft was a mess....dude killed a perfectly good hip..blew the harvest ..took 4.5 hrs stead of 2....severed nerves and left me with a worse vascular prob....a softened tibia....and now they tell me that if the necrosis continues..along with the rsd and the purple leg/lack of stability and of course pain..i may be in big trouble...the leg is dying....and the front of my tibia plate is started to slip making the screw and hardware slide down like a worn out sock..pain sensors are gone..rsd..and have not slept more than 2 hrs in a row in more than 2 yrs...doc was a creep who hid from my bedside for 2 days.....only my local guys god bless em..keep me in meds and shots...after my microfractures re-opened cannot walk more than 100 yrds w/out sticks and i fall like a freshman during rush wk..hated the dude and myself for having it..who would trade a really bad knee for a dead hip..nerve damage and the rest..

but life goes on..i count my blessings and after a period of bad times made my peace and strapped on the grit and try to enjoy what i can....i guess the lesson is docs are like mechanics or painters..some lie and get in over their heads....others are unsyampathetic..but there are good ones too...

my empathy to all of us prey to the bad ones and i hope u all find the strength and faith to carry on.....

hugs

ronnie
Surgery #1 ACL/LR/Mdl Mesniscus
Surgery #2 Vascular Repair
Surgery#3 ACL/Ltl Mesniscus/MCL
Surgery#4 Vascular Repair
Surgery#5 Maquet/Bone Graft/Screw/LR/ACL
Arthritis/Knee/Hip
Necrosis/Hip
PFS/Chronomalacia
RSD
Vascular Issues