Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Where can I get a cane from?  (Read 2787 times)

Offline AC

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Where can I get a cane from?
« on: August 12, 2002, 11:17:22 PM »
I am due to have surgery (lateral release) in early September.  The doctor said I might need a cane and/or crutches for awhile.

I have crutches because I had a broken leg 10 years ago.

Just wondering (I live in Ontario, Canada),  will they give me a cane to use at the hospital?  Can I rent one from somewhere, do Physio places usually have them for rent/borrow?  Where else can I get one without spending the $$ to buy one?

Just wondering what others' did.

Thanks!
Lateral Release along with patella cleanup and bone spur shaving - Early September 2002 - Had a blood clot (DVT) as a complication.
TTT, Scope, and LR in mid June 2003.

Offline Kris

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My Wonderful Friend--Hobo RIP
Re: Where can I get a cane from?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2002, 11:24:15 PM »
You might won't to talk with the doc about whether or not the hospital will provide a cane for you, in most cases they do if you cannot get one.  Most medical and pharmacy places have them, sometimes there are also places that rent them for periods of time.  You know what I recommend which you don't have to take my advice or anything, but I'd buy or rent a pair of crutches to use for a few days before the cane.  This surgery is going to be pretty painful and very traumatic for the muscles in the leg.  They will be so weak from the surgery that they may not be able to handle the body weight for a few days.  Also, the affects of the anesthesia and the muscle weakness/loss gives you a higher chance of collapsing or falling.  I had two LR's a my doctor said that, although I might not feel like I need the crutches, he wanted me on them for three days because of that reason.
Right  LR on 2/8/02,  7/11/03, and 11/5/05
Left leg LR on 5/02, 4/05
Right achilles tendon lengthened on 2/01.   Synvisc injections on 2/17/03. 
Cortisone on 12/03 and 3/04, 12/05. 
Proximal Reallignment Right 5/23/05
R Microfracture 5/19/06
PFJR 6/20/07

Offline AC

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2002, 11:53:40 PM »
I already have crutches because I broke my leg awhile back, but just wondering about the cane, cause I might need to use that after the crutches.

Thanks for the input.
Lateral Release along with patella cleanup and bone spur shaving - Early September 2002 - Had a blood clot (DVT) as a complication.
TTT, Scope, and LR in mid June 2003.

Offline rhea

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.......
    • Budgie Love!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2002, 05:55:50 AM »
Hey AC!!
The hospital might give you a cane...but knowing our health care system I wouldn't place all my faith in it.  You can get a cane from Guardian drugs, Shoppers Drug mart, or even walmart!  Like Kris said, any drugstore will have them.  I have a black wooden one that I got from Guardian drugs for $12 something..(canadian $ of course).  Its not fancy, just your plain wooden cane with a rubber tip.  The more money you're willing to spend the fancier the canes get.  You can get sponge grips, molded handels, different colors..anything!   And hey, if you ever get bored during your LR rehab don't be afraid of decorating your cane!  I've got fish and butterfly stickers on mine ;D  

Oh and hey, there is a canadian company that makes canes called "Canes Canada" (www.canescanada.com) that has  a bunch of custom ones that you can buy.  Depending on how my knees behave, I am contemplating buying a sponge handled butterfly pattern one from them.  Have a look!  

Take care and goodluck!

(((hugs)))

rhea

ps, Thanks for your information regarding that DR.  Dr. Fowler has been practicing for 38 yrs and has been using an arthroscope since 1972 (one of the first OSs in north america to use it) so I figure he knows where all the parts fit together. ;D  I've talked to two of his patients who swear that he is the best in Canada.  Im hoping that since Im a student if he does decide to do an arthroscopy he can bump me up a bit on the waiting list.  If he doesn't work out you can bet that I'll be checking out your man in a flash!!  Thanks again for that name!!
7 yrs of knee troubles (maltracking, maybe plica).  
Finally found wonderful OS(#4)!
Diagnostic scope+biopsy schduled for sept 23,2003  
HMS/EDS III
Chronic joint pain,subluxations,microtraumas...

support