Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Private MRI ( costs )  (Read 2539 times)

Offline vines4444

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Private MRI ( costs )
« on: November 28, 2002, 04:43:04 PM »
Hi there,
Anybody give advice on the cost of a private MRI scan.
Quote of the day today is 575  is this good ?
I have an appt with my surgeon on Mon 2nd on the NHS and feel he is going to say he wants to do an arthroscopy without a scan first.
I have had three arthrosopies and one wiring op for a recent patella fracture.
Question is " Do I want another op "
I enquired about a second opinion and this is what I really want.
Can I request a scan from my surgeon before he starts diving into my knee again or do I just have to do what he says ?
I'm a bit green as to what I can do and what I cant !!
Can anyone help ? :-X

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
Re: Private MRI ( costs )
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2002, 11:57:40 PM »
Vines4444,

Am I correct in assuming that you still have the wire in your fractured patella?

If so, don't bother wasting your money on an MRI.  It will be blurry because of the metal....that's been my understanding from the beginning.

To be honest, I've had 5 MRI's and yet only once has the radiologist been able to diagnose why I was hurting....the other times I had a scope and the surgeon saw right away what the MRI missed--scar tissue.  MRI's are not always an appropriate tool for each patient and each type of problem.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Shazinoz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'Day from Australia
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2002, 03:51:18 AM »
Yep, if you have ANY metal stuff in your knee it corrupts the MRI and makes it almost impossible to read (i had one done recently and I have ACL scres and staples in my knee, you couldn't see a THING on my MRI , it was so blurred).
2 ACL 'reco's', 3 'scopes', Pain, JRA, EDS, RSD, CMP, osetochondral defect & #, synovitis, adhesions, nerve damage, foot drop, MCL damage, tendonitis, fibrosis, ligament damage AGAIN, dislocations +++

Offline cm

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2003, 02:16:15 AM »
I have two screws in my knee from ACL reconstruction two years ago, but my MRI came out nice and clear.   The blurs from the screws were above and below the joint, so everything was quite readable.    

Check with the office conducting the MRI.   When I had mine done they were initially concerned they might not be able to read the MRI, but they said that if they couldn't read it, they would know immediately and I would not be charged at all for the procedure (because they wouldn't complete it.)
Left knee ACL reconstruction w/hamstring graft and meniscus repair 10/00
Left knee bucket handle meniscus tear - partial meniscetomy 4/8/03

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2003, 11:06:47 PM »
Hi

Sometime prior to doing the MRI they will put you inside the machine & just do a quick picture to see it is worth proceeding with if you have metal/staples in your knee.

I piad 450 for my MRI but I had quotes ranging from 300-750, the cheaper quotes of 300-400 didn't included the price for the radiologist to report on the film, do ask if this is included.

Iona

Offline francesca

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2004, 09:09:46 PM »
Hello,

I just had an MRI in the US. It cost $640 if I paid cash up front, $975 if I spaced it out over 6 months. I don't have insurance. If I had insurance, the imaging center would have billed by insurance $1270. So there you have the state of play on health care coverage in the US!

Given my experience, I would say 575 pounds is in range. Personally, I'd rather have a diagnostic test before I let them "dive into my knee" as you put it.

Good lluck!

Francesca
Ciao friends,
Francesca

Offline pete_brum

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2004, 06:35:29 PM »
I had an MRI done privately in 2002, to speed things along a bit. The NHS wait would have been 9 months and my knees were pretty sore! It cost around 800 both knees (500 one knee).

Trust your surgeon if he says that an MRI is no use. The method is intrinsically insensitive and resolution is nowhere near as good as an x-ray. I have been told by more than one registrar that "you never know what to expect until you stick an arthroscope camera in there"!

Pete

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 74
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2004, 10:42:38 PM »
Hello Vines4444,

I had a MRI scan on my right knee in August 2003 and got it at a discount through my PT it would have cost me 710 but got it reduced to 620 thanks to my PT. My left knee is now worse, that had no MRI scan yet. The scan showed no internal damage but have my doubt as it still not any better. (Cannot run since April 2003)

I read up in a posting that Sky Line Xrays will show up maltracking of the patella but not 100% certain, maybe another Member can confirm this fully. Might not be any use, but worth mentioning to your OS, Good Luck on your next Consultation,
Nick  :){2004}:)

RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

support