Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: What to expect?  (Read 1488 times)

Offline jnamoore

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
What to expect?
« on: December 30, 2004, 06:40:12 AM »
 ???HELP!!!! I am having my surgery on the 7th, and I am not scared about the actually procedure... but more of what I am going to have to do afterwards. The doctor told me microfracture if he can, but most likely OATS. I am a father of 2 1/2 yr old twins, a Physical Education Teacher, a High School Coach,  an avid golf junkie, and a former college lineman who moonlights in a mens basketball league! All of these are going to suck for a while but, how long till I can get on the floor and play with the kids, and do my job at school! Will I be able to golf this summer? And are my basketball days over?? To really throw a wrench in this I have to do this through workmans comp.,  and they are only going to pay for 6 days away from work? Am I realistically going to be able to sit around and let my colleuges do the work for me that soon?  Yeah I know I am a big wimp for a former college center, but the thing I am most scared of is my wife killing me for helping out EVEN LESS THAN I DO NOW!!!! for 6 weeks?? HELP [email protected] or [email protected]

brattkids2

Re: What to expect?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 04:30:01 PM »
First of all Best of Luck to you on your proceedure!!

You should be able to golf this summer!!

That sucks that workmans comp will only pay for six days  off work!! Will you be able to teach on crutches??
The pain level after an OATS after six days is moderate (at least in my case) so I am not sure if that will be an issue for you. As for your basketball days that will be up to your OS. Has he given you any indication on what he might recommend?

My hubby couldnt wait for me to be off crutches  ;D  He was doing lots around the house for me. I was actually able to do some things like cook and do some laundry so you wont be totally out of things. Just be really careful on the crutches one little wet spot on the kitchen floor could really send you crashing to the floor!!

Hpe all goes well and have a Happy New Year!!

Offline jnamoore

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 04:36:37 PM »
The os told me as long as PT goes well and I take it slow and easy that I should be dunkin (on a 9 foot rim) by next year!!

Offline kathleenj

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 08:39:04 PM »
To add my 2 cents...

I think alot has to do with the size of the defect and the type of procedure he does.  I have had 2 Oats, one with the scope and the other as an open procedure.  I must say that recupping from the scope was much easier, pain wasnt that bad after a few days.  However the open procedure, a six inch incision, was a bit more difficult.  I really couldnt imagine doing anything other than sitting with the leg elevated for the first week at least.  As soon as I put the leg down...ouch, the pressure!  The other thing you may want to consider is which knee the surgery will be on.  With either the microfracture or Oats you need to be non-weight bearing for about 6 weeks.  For me, it was the right knee, which meant no driving for 6 weeks.  Yikes that was difficult.  Being nwb for that long was hard but I found that I was able to do alot of things, just had to do it sitting down.
The last thing you need to keep in mind is this...my OS told me 6 weeks on crutches...so I thought, ok I can deal with that. So I had it in my head that after 6 weeks I'll be back to doing what I was doing before.  I know call it stupid, but I wasnt really expecting having to re-train my leg how to walk.  So 6 weeks actually turned into almost 8 because you need do ween yourself off the crutches and wake up the muscles.  Keep that in mind and try to stay on top of the exercises that is given.  After the 1st Oats I didnt start PT until I was partial weight bearing and I think that made things harder for me.  After the 2nd one I checked in with my PT after 1 week and started doing light things right away.  It made going full weight bearing alot easier as I was able to maintain alot of my muscle tone.  You will be amazed at how quickly your muscles shut down so try to do as much as you can without overdoing it.  
Anyway, thats my experience.  I hope it helps some.  
Good luck on the 7th.  
right knee oats 12/03 scope autograft
right knee revision oats 6/04 open autograft
loa, plica excision, chondroplasty 12/04
synvisc 5/05
patellofemoral OA
patella baja

support