Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: How should a meniscus repair feel 6 wks post-op?  (Read 851 times)

Offline jaxter

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
How should a meniscus repair feel 6 wks post-op?
« on: December 29, 2004, 05:38:20 PM »
I had an ACL reconstruction and medial meniscus repair 6 weeks ago, started walking a bit over a week ago and have made it through the intense muscle pain thanks to help from you guys out there.  I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether or not I should be feeling a buring pain in the area of the meniscus repair and whether or not it should be achey all the time.  I slacked a bit on the exercises over the holiday and know I am paying a price in terms of ROM, but should it feel this persistently annoying?  The PT says it is normal... depsite him being a great PT I still wonder, we all know the track record of many PT's out there.
'83 partial meniscetomy
'84 acl reconstruction,partial meniscetomy
'94 partial meniscetomy
'04 acl reconstruction, medial meniscus reconstruction, patella shave

Offline 5FeKOBS

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: How should a meniscus repair feel 6 wks post-o
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 07:30:44 PM »
i am four weeks post-op. for a meniscus repair. today is my last day on crutches. so far, my knee has had little stabs  of pain, but not near the medical meniscus where the repair was done. but i probably am worried about the same things you are: if i do feel pain in that area, does it mean it hasn't healed??

i hope everything works out okay for you!

Offline AndrewC

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
Re: How should a meniscus repair feel 6 wks post-o
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 08:29:26 PM »
Hi there

I had meniscal repair 7 months ago to a huge tear to my lateral meniscus which had displaced itself into my knee joint from a footballing injury :o

My ligaments were ok but my leg was locked 30 degrees from full extension and at a max flexion of 90 degs for 4 weeks before the op (was on crutches in agony while waiting.....UK...NHS!)

Anyway, 6 weeks post op my knee was still stiff and it was 2 months before I could do a full revolution on an exercise bike!
I do remember though that it was Not achy ALL the time eg/ if I was resting.
Also, I did not have the buring pain you describe. BUT....I did get intermediate bursts of pain and was in serious agony for 3 days post op.

The pain for me (for the most part) stopped about 3 months post op when I could walk properly although this was general knee pain and not meniscus specififc.

The burning sensation you describe could be nerve damage/pain. But I found exercises and physio the SINGLE most helpful thing to my recovery! so until you have been really dedicated to your rehab it is impossible to say if it has /has not worked ok!

All in all, considering you had ACL recon and Meniscus repair it is still very early days but I do know that meniscus repairs can take a LONG time to recover from....as I am still recovering back to the point of being able to jog lightly at present....although i am back at the gym 5 nights per week getting my legs strong again!

All the best

Big bucket handle tear to lateral meniscus from sporting injury. Arthroscopy and meniscal repair carried out June 2004. sloooowwww recovery!!

2018 - torn medial meniscus in RH knee, partial extrusion. ongoing issues,