Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee Injury While Standing Still?  (Read 5150 times)

Offline OneLeggedViolin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Knee Injury While Standing Still?
« on: December 28, 2004, 03:43:56 AM »
Hi all... I found this board while searching for information on knee injuries. I can't see the orthopedist until Wednesday but I can't wait that long to get some idea of what has happened to my knee!

On Christmas Eve, I was standing perfectly still (to be honest, I may have been leaning over slightly to grab something... but it was within arm's reach!) when I heard and felt a pop/twist, my left knee gave way, and I fell on top of my twisted leg. As soon as I hit the floor I straightened my leg out quickly, almost as a reflex, and whatever moved at first popped back into place. This was followed by intense pain and inability of that leg to support any weight, so I went to the E.R. They did X-rays (nothing broken), put me in a knee immobilizer and on crutches and sent me home with pain medicine. The orthopedist is supposed to determine what actually happened.

But what really scares me is that this happened while I was doing nothing but standing still. Has anyone else had a knee injury while simply standing? Now that I am putting all my weight on the other knee, I have moments of panic when I feel like it is going to happen again.

I am not familiar with knee injuries at all. Any information, suggestions, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
...trying to practice flute and violin while balancing on one leg...

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Knee Injury While Standing Still?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 05:28:53 AM »
OneLeggedViolin,
It sounds like you may have dislocated your kneecap. The way you described what happens sounds much like what my knees feel like when they dislocate. This hasn't happened to me while simply standing though.
Keep in mind I am only 16 and in no way a doctor, lol, so I am not the one to diagnose your injury. I would suggest searching on Google for information on 'patella dislocation' or other similar terms to see how your symptoms compare. Good luck!
~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

Offline AndrewC

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004, 05:47:43 AM »
Hi there

It sounds very likely that you suffered a dislocation of the patella (kneecap) when your leg popped and gave way.
This commonly occurs in females of about 16-20 years of age but of course can happen to anyone (of any age/sex)
Also, very likely, is that your patella dislocated laterally which means to the outside of your leg.

There are a wide range of things that could cause this to happen (if indeed this was what did happen) but as you say you did not do anything traumatic to cause the injury there might be some underlying physical cause that needs to be dealt with.
This is something that your OS will certainly be able to identify and address.

In the meantime, be careful with your other knee and don't be too terrified it will happen to that one too  :o

Certainly a benefit to many if not ALL knee injuries or knee problems is to get the leg muscles (quads particularly) as strong as possible as they effectively support and stabilise the knee in conjunction with the ligaments. Do you do lots of sport etc? Are you overweight at all? These factors also have to be considered when trying to prevent re injury or further injury but in the first instance your OS will hopfully give you a lot of the answers you are seeking.

All the best and just post back if you have any more Q's

Also...here is an excellent link to an article about patella subluxation/dislocation. Its quitre technical but you could see if the symptoms fit in with what you had.

http://www.wheelessonline.com/oo1/51.htm
Big bucket handle tear to lateral meniscus from sporting injury. Arthroscopy and meniscal repair carried out June 2004. sloooowwww recovery!!

2018 - torn medial meniscus in RH knee, partial extrusion. ongoing issues,

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2004, 06:18:45 AM »
What you described is pretty much what happened when I tore my meniscus.  I was still, doing a yoga move that involved the knee being very straight.  I felt some resistance, then a pop, then very sharp pain and swelling.  My leg also instinctively bent to get out of that position.  I tore off the anterior horn of my lateral meniscus just like that!  Granted, I have some poor knee mechanics that contributed to the injury, but it really happened between one heartbeat and the next, with no outward sign of a problem.

So anyway, I just wanted to let you know that it is indeed possible to injure the knee without moving.  I can also sublux/partially dislocate my kneecap just shifting my weight while cooking.  Hope you just tweaked things and the knee will be fine after some rest to calm it down.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline OneLeggedViolin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2004, 08:13:58 PM »
   Thanks for your timely replies!

Well, Erin, I am not much older than you and do fall into the age/gender category AndrewC mentioned commonly dislocating the patella. I am neither overweight nor active in sports, but I am nearer the upper end of my "healthy weight range"; as for sports, I don't even know how to play any, but my knees do get a lot of abuse at work. Now that I am thinking about it, my knee did give way and I fell at work while running the day before my injury, but there was no pain, swelling, or anything unusual. Would that have anything to do with this?
  HeatherM, where was the pain when you tore your meniscus? I am having alot of pain on the side of my knee closest to the other leg. And when I take off the knee immobilizer, it feels like there is nothing holding my knee together... hard to describe, but  it feels like my calf is just dangling.
   Thanks again for your clear, helpful information and sharing experiences.  I'm sorry you've all had knee problems and hope you're doing well now!

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2004, 10:53:55 PM »
Hey!
I play flute too!
Ok...just thought I'd share that, lol.
~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.

Offline OneLeggedViolin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2004, 12:30:14 AM »
I visited the orthopedist today.

The doc said I dislocated my patella. He told me basically everything you folk have said about the matter and assigned some physical therapy excercises.
Then he did something interesting. He had me bend and extend some other joints (elbow, wrist, other knee, etc.) and he bent a few of them for me. My parents watched and were flabbergasted. The doctor said I "overextend" my joints and they are more bendable than normal- basically, I'm too flexible, which makes me predisposed to dislocations. (I never noticed! I'm more "sit-and-study" than "run-and-play.")

"It'll happen again. Wean yourself off the crutches and be back in three weeks."

I feel better having found out what happened and knowing what to do, and what to look out for. :)

Erin- what's your favorite thing to play? Happy fluting! (and don't let your teacher talk you into violin! Arggh. I only chose that for a username because it had a better ring than "OneLeggedFlute")  ;)

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2004, 02:41:10 AM »
Haha...yeah, oneleggedflute does sound kinda funny. I don't really have a favorite thing to play....it seems as if I'm always working on audition pieces. Right now I'm practicing the evil All State etude....some idiot wrote it so it's very odd. What do you like to play?
~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.

Offline OneLeggedViolin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Another question...
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2005, 01:18:31 AM »
*sigh*

I am now off crutches and walking around with the immobilizer. A few days ago I had taken it off for a moment and was going only a few steps when my knee bent backwards. This was really painful! Since then this has happened increasingly frequently with the immobilizer on. Ouch!

The ER doctor and the OS asked me if my knee bent backwards when I first injured it. I told them no, but now I believe it did. Every time it happens, my knee feels exactly the way it did as I began to fall two weeks ago.

I will definitely tell the OS about this at my upcoming visit. Until then, what can I do to prevent this? It's really uncomfortable (and just plain weird!).

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Anyone seen the light at the end of the tunnel?
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2005, 02:21:03 AM »
Hey what's wrong with the violing?!  I used to play it when I was in high school and primary school.
I gave it up when I got sick of the teacher.  Lets just say we had a personality clash.  Anyway I miss it.
Why are you practising standing up?  Surely you can sit up straight and take the presure off your knees.

do you do any exercise?  maybe you need to start to strengthen your whole body.  I recommend swimming and hydro as it totally supports your whole body and it will strengthen everything up.  It sounds like you need it.  Also, pt may be needed to give you some more exercises to build up muscle.  Too much sitting round is not good for you physically.  Hey you could even join a water aerobics class.  Please find some type of gentle exercise, probably in water for the greatest support.  I'm sure this will help.

At least you can try it before your os suggests any type of surgery.  Much less invasive and much better for you.

Take care.
rk posterior meniscus tear. Successfully repaired 10 Sep,03. Now have nerve damage and cps which goes with it.  I want to slap the person who said 'It just takes time....'

Offline AndrewC

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2005, 02:50:57 AM »
This problem is DEFINATELY more to do with hyperextension issues rather than lack of exercise in my opinion....after all. MANY people DONT exercise much and do not experience random joint dislocations.

Having said this....as I said in my earlier post......strengthening your quads and doing the right physio exercises has got to be of some benefit to you.
Big bucket handle tear to lateral meniscus from sporting injury. Arthroscopy and meniscal repair carried out June 2004. sloooowwww recovery!!

2018 - torn medial meniscus in RH knee, partial extrusion. ongoing issues,

Offline OneLeggedViolin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2005, 02:55:43 AM »
Sienna-
 Well, nothing's inherently wrong with violin; I just like my other instruments much better. :) I have to sign a statement that all violin practice has been done standing.
  I love to excercise daily: walking, aerobic, and some strength training. I'm even enjoying the PT. I also get alot of excercise at work. When I said I mostly sit and study, I meant it because my current academic load requires that most of my time be spent in that rather than in sports or other physically demanding activites. I thought only football players were supposed to have knee problems. ::)
 I hope I didn't give the impression that I'm grossly overweight by saying I'm nearer the upper end of my healthy weight range. Nearer only by a few pounds. ;) (It would be nicer to my joints if they could carry around less, I admit.)
  Thanks for the reply and reminder that a little more excercise never hurt anyone. (With PT I'm certainly getting more now!)

Offline OneLeggedViolin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Ouch
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2005, 09:34:58 AM »
 :-[ This keeps happening. My knee keeps bending backwards and it is more painful every time.  It just happened again and I am so at a loss of what to do. ??? I am doing my excercises, wearing the immobilizer, being very careful.  My knee just gives out and bends backwards, in the immobilizer or out.  It is quite scary.

What in the world causes this?

support