Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: PFJR Dec. 28, 2004  (Read 50845 times)

Offline kmap71

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • I hate Mornings!
PFJR Dec. 28, 2004
« on: December 27, 2004, 09:52:39 PM »
Hello all.  I have not had the surgery yet but wanted to get the thread started.  My surgery is tomorrow and I'm scared but ready.

My right knee has been giving me fits for many years, but got really bad in 2002.  I had arthroscopy with LR October 30, 2002.  It didn't fix it.  I had the rooster juice series, not just the Hyalgen but the Synvisc also.  I've had several cortisones shots.  I've had it drained.  I've done PT.  My quality of life has just gone south since 2002.  Nothing and I mean NOTHING has given me ANY relief.  Pain pills don't even help.  

I have grade 4 chondromalacia, maltracking patella, bone on bone grinding and constant dislocations.  The thing "gives out" all of the time, is EXTREMELY unstable, the works.  It doesn't just give frontwards, it gives wobbles sideways as well, it is, for lack of a better term, loose.

So, after visiting many different ortho surgeons, I found one who said that I was an ideal candidate (except for age, I'm 33) for the PFR.  He said that my knee met every criteria and there was nothing holding him back except letting me know the pros and cons and making sure I was committed to quitting smoking and losing weight.  

I did quit smoking that day, Nov. 12.  I have lost 14 pounds since then as well.  I am 5'8" tall with medium bone structure, and on Nov. 12 I weighed 204 lbs.  This morning, Dec. 27th, 2004, I weighed 190 lbs.  Two years ago I was 150 lbs, but with this knee, I've been rather sedentary and ended up gaining over fifty pounds.  I hope this surgery gets me back in motion!

I'll post as soon as I can after the surgery.  I will be in the hospital for a few days and I'm sure that I won't feel much like sitting at the desk when I get home, but maybe I can use my hubby's laptop.  At any rate, as soon as possible, I'll post.

Thanks for the support I've received in my postings under patello-femoral joint and for the suggestion of posting here.

Elizabeth
booboo 1987 & 1999 Lknee, arthroscopy w/LR 1998 successful with PT
R knee deterioration 2002, arthroscopy w/LR, Hyalgan/Synvisc shots
cortisone shots in both knees
PFJR right knee 12/28/04
Left knee scope 09/06 found grade IV chondromalacia
 PFJR left knee 04/27/10

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: PFJR Dec. 28, 2004
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 03:40:11 PM »
Hey !!

Good luck Elizabeth with your surgery. Please keep us posted when you feel strong enough to do it.

Hugs Nettan  ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

shadehawk

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004, 03:42:12 PM »
Good luck today Elizabeth and let us know how everything is going.   ;)

brattkids2

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2004, 03:49:46 PM »
Best of luck to you today!!!!!!

Let us know how you do!!

Paulette

Offline PattiAnn237

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2004, 01:59:40 AM »
Elizabeth, I hope everything went well with your surgery, take care and let us know how your doing as soon as you can!!

Lots of luck, Patti
25 y/o
Left knee- lateral tilt, lateral tracking, arthritis
LR 8/5/04 (failed)
Diagnostic Scope- 5/2/05 (scar tissue removed)
Holding off on TTT till I can get through school!

Offline Leta_MT

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2004, 06:03:50 PM »
Hey Elizabeth!

Just wanted you to know that I'm thinking about you today! Hope it all went well and you're posting soon!

I'm with you in spirit... ;D

Leta
OA in both knees; patellar dislocation left knee 2/03; LR on left 7/03; PFR w/TTT, left 6/18/04

Offline kmap71

• Forum Faithful
  • I hate Mornings!
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2004, 04:34:22 AM »
Greetings from my hospital room.

My hubby brought his laptop up here for me so I could let ya'll know how I am doing and let off some steam.

The surgery went off without a hitch.  Dr. Bryant said that everything looks good and he expects me to do very well and feel MUCH better once I'm through with this stretch of it.  

He said the patella was just plain worn out.  He told the hubby and I today that it was 70% - 80% gone.  Said the rest of the knee looked really good so he has high expectations.  He seemed rather proud of himself..lol
This was his very first PFJR.  

Now for the bad stuff... Before surgery they asked me if I wanted an epidural or a block in my leg.  I asked for an epidural because I've had so many and knew what to expect.  Well, they did something called "intrathecal narcotics" and it did NOT work AT ALL.  I've been absolutely miserable.  I've had four babies and if you add up all 69 hours of labor plus birthing the biggest head you've ever seen on a baby, it STILL couldn't equal this.  

So, I'm lying here in excruciating pain, trying to be a big brave girl when my night nurse comes in last night and decides to change my ice packs.  The end was not put on one of them so the whole thing full of icy water dumped in between my legs and SOAKED me and my bed.  So, then they are rolling me back and forth and jerking the doggone bed around trying to get the sheets changed.  Both the aid and the nurse bumped my knee so many times I couldn't count.  I couldn't catch my breath because for one, I was frozen from the waist down and two I was in pain HELL.  

So, I was up almost all night in excruciating pain...Today at noon the PTs asked if I'd like to go to the dining room and have lunch with the other kneesies, so, being the trooper, I said I'd like to go.  Well, they bring the wheelchair in here and fumble around trying to get me in my jammies with my catheter, then bump me at least a half dozen times while trying to situate the wheelchair in such a way I could get into it.  THEN the leg rest was SUPPOSED to come up....well..after much wrestling, jerking and yanking, they decide that it's not going to work, so they stick a bunch of pillows between my leg and the leg rest that won't come up, trying to prop it up.  They proceed to roll me to the dining room over thresholds that felt more like speed bumps.  While in the dining room, my  "neighbor" asks me how I'm doing.  HA!  I told him some of the stuff they've put me through then ask him what he had done..well, of course it was a TKR, same surgeon, after my surgery.  He has no catheter, he walked in there with a walker, is sitting in a real chair with just a pillow under his foot on the floor.  He had a PCA pump, I couldn't get one.  He had the leg block which is what I SHOULDA got.  He even had actually been allowed to SLEEP.

That's another thing...the nurses keep telling me to try and get some rest, but as soon as I nod off they wake me up.  Needless to say, I'm not in the best of spirits...spirits? yeah, someone please bring me the strongest friggin shot of whiskey you can find.  

The string of murphy's incidents has continued since lunch today, I'm convinced it isn't going to stop any time soon and I'm in so much pain I c an't think straight.  

I'm being moved from the hospital to an inpatient rehab center some time tomorrow.  I'll be there four or five days, then after I get home I'll have a nurse come in 2-3 times a week for 2-3 weeks.  Then I'll go to outpatient PT.

That's it in a nutshell so far.

Somebody pray for me PLEASE!

I'll post as soon as I can.

Elizabeth
PFJR right knee 12/28/04
 PFJR left knee 04/27/10

Offline kscamper

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2004, 05:51:45 AM »
Oh my God Elizabeth!  I can't believe what you have been thru in the past 24 hours.  Are you in a hospital in Norman? I had some crappy care during my stay but nothing like you are having.  Are you getting shots for the pain? I had morphine shots for the first probably 36 hours then they went to pain pills.  I didn't have a cath...wish I would have because when you pee in those bedpans it just runs down your back and gets all over the bed anyhow.  At least that is WARM and not ice water.  I am afraid I would have totally lost it over that incident.
Keep your pecker up my friend.  It can only get better from here.  Post when you can and we will ALL pray for you!  I'll even have a big shot of whiskey in your honor!
Sheila
Patellofemoral Arthrosis Right. PFJR 10-5-04 Avon prothesis. Cortisone shot 3-25-05 for scar tissue.  Scope with scar tissue removal 7-25-05. TKR right 2007.

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2004, 07:15:43 AM »
Elizabeth,

I second Sheila's comments--get some appropriate pain management!  The guy you saw is more like what you are supposed to be doing after joint replacement--getting pain relief!  And doing stuff like walking with a walker.  If you are in so much pain that you can't move, you certainly aren't going to heal well.  I don't understand why they aren't addressing your pain--you've got to tell them that your pain is a 10 out of 10 and page the anesthesiologist if necessary.  You've got to get that knee moving ASAP.  If a pain pump is what's needed, then demand one.  If your insurance won't pay, ask how much their 'cash or self-pay' price is--then decide if it's worth it.  

At the very least you should be getting morphine and toradol injections, for crying out loud.  They offered them to me every two hours when I was last in the hospital, and after my appendix surgery I was on a self-administered morphine pump.

I hope you get some relief soon.  Nobody gets a prize for white-knuckling it through the pain, and many studies show that you are doing yourself no favors by just sucking it up.  Pain uses up brain chemicals (serotonin, for example), can cause your muscles to shut down, interferes with sleep, and so forth.

Feel better soon--we're pulling for you.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

shadehawk

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2004, 01:52:58 PM »
You certainly are a trooper for what you have gone through, I think that I would be screaming at the top of my lungs until my doctor arrived to address my issues.  

It is totally unreal what has happened to you and very unfortunate for you.  

Hope today goes better, we are all thinking of you Elizabeth.    :)

Offline Leta_MT

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2004, 05:32:39 PM »
You are unbelievable!  :D I can't believe you posted in the situation you are in! It sounds like the surgery was good but the after care isn't so shiny! I can't believe you didn't have a femoral catheter. That is standard here in Montana for TKR's and this should be treated as such. No CPM, huh? That's weird too, IMHO.

I'll bet that cold water made your ovaries slam shut!! The one thing I'll say about child birth is that it is at least OVER when it's over. That stupid interthecal did nothing for that pain. I can only imagine how ineffective it was for this!

Hang in there, Baby! I agree with Heather and demand that they drug you silly for the next 48 hours.  ;D Things should settle down after that a little. I hope the rehab facility has a better handle on this stuff!

Take care and draw strength from the rest of us...I know we are all sending you anything extra that we aren't using at the time.  ;)

Leta
OA in both knees; patellar dislocation left knee 2/03; LR on left 7/03; PFR w/TTT, left 6/18/04

Offline kmap71

• Forum Faithful
  • I hate Mornings!
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2004, 05:33:53 PM »
Well, it's Thursday, Dec. 30 and today is a whole new day.  I'm still in pain, but it's tolerable with all the meds they have me on now.  The only problem is that now I'm bloated...if you know what I mean...from the narcotics.

I'm taking 20 mg of oxycontin in the morning and 20 mg at night.  Two 10 mg percocets every 3 hours and every four hours I get a phenergan tablet.

Dr. Bryant's nurse came and took out my drainage tubes today...OUCH!  But I'm relieved to have them out.  

I'm being moved some time this afternoon to Jim Thorpe Rehabilitation Center.  I'll be there 4-5 days.  I sure am looking forward to getting up and around on my new knee!  I know it won't be a piece of cake, but it'll be worth it.  Just remind me that I said that when I start complaining about the torture! :-)

The incision is only about 4 inches long, I was expecting a much longer, uglier one.  :-)  I'm happy with it like this.  I think it's gonna heal up nice and pretty..for a scar anyway.

Vicki (Dr. Bryant's nurse) told me this morning that my blood count is good, so I don't need a transplant...it's about time I get some good news!  

I get to take a shower tomorrow..another plus!  I guess today is going to be a better day...knock on wood.

Well, I'm feeling rather dopey, so I guess I'll close for now.

Ya'll take care!

Elizabeth
PFJR right knee 12/28/04
 PFJR left knee 04/27/10

Offline kmap71

• Forum Faithful
  • I hate Mornings!
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2004, 05:35:49 PM »
I forgot to also mention that I'm getting Lovenox shots twice a day as well.  

Happy New Year everyone!!!!

Someone have a Sex on the Beach for me...with extra pineapple juice!

Elizabeth
PFJR right knee 12/28/04
 PFJR left knee 04/27/10

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2004, 07:33:56 PM »
Hey Elizabeth !!

Although you are in pain seems that the worst part is over now. Sorry that you didn't get the painrelief you needed, but be sure you get what you need so you can go on with your rehab and not get to much pain.
Hope your recovery goes well and that you are home very soon. Happy New year !!

Hugs Nettan  ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Leta_MT

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2004, 10:43:55 PM »
I think you're on the other side of the horrible post-op pain now. It should only get better from here. It's good to lose tubes as you go! You know you're getting closer to home when the tubes start coming out.

Do they have you bending it yet? You are probably using a walker by now, right? Hope the move went better than the trip to the mess hall!

I'm glad you are feeling better today! At least you are on THIS side of the surgery and waiting around for it to happen. Onward and forward, soldier!

Let us know what you have been allowed to do. Inquiring minds want to know...

Leta  ;D

support