Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL Support - Donjoy Playmaker?  (Read 3505 times)

Offline ACLame

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
ACL Support - Donjoy Playmaker?
« on: December 24, 2004, 12:46:28 PM »
I tore my ACL a couple of years back, had reconstruction but haven't been playing football since.  However, I decided that I'd have one more throw of the dice and have just been wearing a standard neoprene support.  However, my knee is sore for about 4days after each game so its obviously not providing the support I need.  I was considering buying a more 'advanced' brace but I can't bring myself to cough up for a rigid brace i.e. Edge etc as they are just so expensive.  I was thinking of the Donjoy Playmaker as a middle ground between a standard neoprene brace and a rigid brace.  However, will this sort of brace provide useful ACL support?  I don't want to waste my money so if a rigid brace is the only way to go then I'll just have to save up for a while.

Any input appreciated.

Offline LesleyR

• Forum Faithful
  • Things will only get better from here
Re: ACL Support - Donjoy Playmaker?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2004, 11:59:08 PM »
if your gunna go for a new better brace, i wouldnt suggest a donjoy.  theyre bulky, and tend to migrate. i had a defiance and it was nothing but a royal pain in the you-know-where.  
if you look back a litle bit on this board you migh be able to find some helpful suggestions.

hope this helps,
-Lesley
20 Years old
10/6/05-Plica removal left knee
2/21/09 MCL grade II tear
Avid Rugby and Ice hockey Player

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2004, 01:11:45 AM »
I totally agree with Lesley!!  NON-joys are exactly the way the name sounds!  While i havent had one to stabilize ligaments, i did have one for maltracking purposes. Let me tell you, in a three week span, i had to repair that darn thing i kid u not a whole 6 times!  it was from then on i had it.  i no longer wear that brace, thankfully.  if you look as lesley said on other parts of the boards, there are alot of ppl with good brace results.  i personally would recommend a brand known as Breg.  i tore my mcl a few years back and that thing was a life saver and i also wear a breg right now to help with my maltracking!  it was that brand that allowed me to get back to playing hockey!

hope you found this helpful!
Take Care,
~Mandy
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 12:31:04 AM »
The playmaker is ment for only the mildest unidirectional instabilitities.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline estogirl696

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Life free...Live happy...
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 03:07:16 AM »
I have a breg X2K and it is absolutely awesome!  It supports my knee and it is not at all bulky.  I would suggest it to anyone and everyone.
19 yr old female
Tore ACL and miniscus (left knee) Sept '04
Recon surgery October '04
*Played again at 4 months*

Miniscus and partial ACL tear (right knee) Dec. '06

College Varsity Basketball

support