Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: exercise regimes  (Read 16826 times)

Offline femur

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • "it's all fun and games until someone gets hurt"
Re: exercise regimes
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2006, 09:53:12 AM »
I know this hasnt been talked about in a couple months, but i also use to run. I played soccer my whole life. I was training to go into the sheriffs dept when i was in my accident and told i could never run again. That was three years ago.
To this day i still cannot run and even if i try i am in so much pain later, with the whole schin splints pain also.
I just was at the doc not to long ago and he said if i want to spare my knee for the long run than i can only swim laps ( boring) and ride a bike. Oh and i cant also run laps in the pool.
so i have been riding a bike and noticing a differance, but i still dont get the same feeling as if i were running.
basically we need to act like we are 80 years old to save our knees for when we really are 80.
good luck.
22 f
broke right femur in 03
several surgerys on right knee since
no cartilage in right knee under patella.
Having OATS 2.20.06

Offline NikkiE

• Regular Poster
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2006, 11:16:50 PM »
Hi all

rru2s - I have heard of the Pose method, did you learn from a book/off the website, or did you actually attend a workshop. I think Dr Romanov is coming here to Austarlai in the near future, but the workshop is quite pricey.

Femur - that's what grates: having to act liike an eighty year old!! Anyway i'll just play devil's advocate here and say: How do we know we'll live to 80? And hopefully by then they will have worked out how to cure it!
Chondromalacia in right knee for 13 years. 

OA in medial section of right knee, almost bone on bone.

OA in medial section of left knee

Offline mystified

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2007, 05:04:18 AM »
I just want to put a plug in for cycling and swimming.  If you work on your technique in swimming, you can join a club, etc., it's truly a fantastic, superhard workout; or alternatively you can get in a groove with your stroke and completely zone out - I think it's because of the ways in which you have to coordinate your breathing.  And while I also find cycling indoors a bit tedious, it's totally fantastic outside.  If you were willing to run in snow/terrible heat, the same can be true for bicycling.  I'd rather keep my own knees as long as possible and enjoy two new sports.  After 3 years without running, I'm thinking of upgrading my bike and maybe even buying a triathlon wet suit so I can swim outside into the fall/early in the spring.

Offline aliasgrace26

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2007, 02:00:17 PM »
How is everyone doing with their exercise regimes? I continue to go to PT for my chronic issues, and also go to aqua aerobics classes twice per week, and altnernate b/w low resistance stat. bike, rowing machine, and elliptical. OH! And I tried kayaking for the first time last weekend. It's so nice to know there are some things I can do strictly for the upper body to give my poor knee some sort of break...
How do you all get through the pain while exercising on 'bad' days?
Tibigal platea fx. 12/98
Subsequent poor medical care that did not detect fx. immediately
Rigorous PT once fx. was diagnosed
Arthroscopy in 11/99 to trim plica and remove scar tissue
Chronic pain for 5 years, then a reprieve for 3
Return of pain/stiffness 2/07, in pain mgt., awaiting answers

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2008, 08:37:25 PM »
torn RK ACL March 2001, surgery Aug. 14 2006, after 4 knee sprains since Oct. '05.  Allograft, ~40% medial meniscus removed, some wear in the trochlear groove. Everything else looks good.

Post-op diary: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=29749.

support