Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Could we have an arthritis check in?  (Read 3231 times)

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Could we have an arthritis check in?
« on: March 20, 2003, 03:52:31 AM »
Hi--

My knee problem stems from arthritis.  I have osteo-arthritis, diagnosed in August of 2000.  My father had OA--first knee surgery when he was in his early 30's (and back then, they simply removed cartilage--oh no!!)  He also had OA in his back and hands.  Mt mother is the only female in her family to not have arthritis in her knees...so I think it was inevitable for the wretched stuff to catch up with me.  Right now, we are trying to find out if I have some other forms of arthritis as well.

Anyway...I klnow thgere is an arthritis board here--I'm just curious who else has arthritis, what form, when it was diagnosed and your background with it.  Maybe we can find a common link aqmongst ourselves and revolutionize the treatment--lol.

Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline lam651

• Forum Faithful
  • Someday
Re: Could we have an arthritis check in?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2003, 05:43:50 AM »
Hi Sylvia,
I too suffer from OA in my knees and hands. My Mom and her Mom both had OA in their knees. My first hint of arthritis came about 9 years ago in my hands and then about 3 years ago in my knees. I dealt with the arthritic hands, but my life has never been the same since my knee trouble began. I've had various surgerys, shots, braces and meds to try to be as normal as I can. I'm only 50 yrs. old, not nearly as old as my Mom and Grandma were when they had knee problems.
So, there definitly is a family link to my knee problems. Take care, Larry
arthoscopy('99),HTO(tibia didn't heal 10/01),knee braces(7/02),HTO w/ex.fix. to repair tibial non-union(3/03), remove ex. fix.(9/03),HTO other leg(12/03)

Offline Rich_NYC

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2003, 08:10:56 AM »
Hi
I have OA in my knees, spine, and probably in my hands shoulders and elbows :P  Been having trouble for a few years, but it seems like my meniscus surgery aggravated everything.  My brother and one of my sisters have some trouble with OA, but I seem to be the worst.  My maternal grandfather had OA so bad that he needed two canes to get around.  My mother had polio as a child and had several problems because of it.  She also had a dislike of doctors (stemming from her polio) and so the possibility of OA was never checked.  Genetic predisposition definitely seems to be there :-/
Rich
scope to repair 2 meniscal tears (didn't help the pain]; post-patellar osteoarthritis

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2003, 07:19:42 AM »
I'll bet there are a few other arthritic folks with some family ties--guess I hid this thread too well...

I'm needing to vent and vent about stupid arthritis tonight.  More snow--I guess the reason arthritis hurts so much during weather changes is because the joints act as a kind of barometer--and when they become injured or have had a surgery, the joint does what a barometer does, pushing that synovial joint fluid around--and that translates as pain.  Ugh!

Anyway...take care guys!  Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2003, 11:22:47 PM »
Hi Sylvia

What a great idea for a topic.

I was diagnosed with JRA (Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis) when I was 15, i take drugs everyday for the RA but touch wood, I've not been too bad, though yes there are bad days & I do have to take steroids, but mainly it's all been fine.

Iona x

Offline MeganJRA

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2003, 03:48:13 PM »
Hello

I was diagnosed with JRA when I was 14 (now 19) and I have had 4 kne surgeries.  I take meds everyday and 3 injections a week.  (Enbrel and Methotrexate)  I am thankful to be able to lead a pretty normal life.  The main problem I have right now is me right knee again!  But other than that I deal with the pain really good as far as I am concerned.

I do want to rant about something.  I have a Handicapped Plackardthat I use when going to the mall, grocery, and other places I know I will be walking alot.  Well, it seems that people can be extremely cruel.  I have been gawked at, teased, and downright tormented about parking in Handicapped just because if you look at me I look like a normal 19 year old healthy person.  I understand being curious and even shocked, but people should keep their rude comments to themselves.  And the range of people (age specificly) surprised me.  I had two guys about my age or younger walk by in the parking lot of a mall and say "Yeah, you are really handicapped."  You can bet I confronted them.  I told them they had it all wrong, but when they did not offer to correct themselves or ask why they had it wrong I just walked off.  And then an older couple walking behind me in the lot were actually funny, but I still had to correct them.  The man was obviously hard of hearing, so the women shouted at him, "Honey, I wownder why that girl is parking in Handicapped.  What do you think is wrong with her?"  I stopped and turned around and informed them that i had JRA and mutliplt surgeries, and that I just could not walk around the mall after I had walked from the back of a parking lot.  And also that I would have to be carried to the car when I got finished in the mall because I always stay until I am really hurting, and then I don't want to have to walk to the end of the lot to get to my car.  The couple were very appologetic and concerned.  I will be happy to INFORM people as long as they don't ciritcize.  I want to tell you one more and then I will stop carrying on.  I go to school at a local sommunity college and park in the Handicapped.  I have parked in the same exact parking place for 2 semesters (last Aug to now) and the 2 times I for got to put my plackard up I was cited.  The first time I was upset emotionally and found the one campus cop and informed him that I just forgot to put it up.  He said he knew that was the case and had seen my car in the same place for a while.  But he thought I was using my Grandmother's plackard to get a closer place to park.  I had been being nice, but I blew up and told him to check his record that I had informed the college about my situationd and that he could run the plackard and see that it WAS registered to a 19 year old otherwise healthy girl, me, and then i handed his ticket to him and walked off!  The second time was with the same person who did the exact same thing and tried the same excuse.  And this had only been a couple months difference.  Needless to say, I got out of that ticket also.

As you can probably see, I do not take kindly to being rude to by uninformed people.  But I can hold my own!!

Thanks for letting me vent!

Megan

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2003, 05:12:32 AM »
I will admit that I think arthritis stinks--but JRA has got to be the worst because it hits so early and just keeps having a go at you.  I'm glad to hear that the treatments help, even though they don't do it all.

There is a lot to be said for day to day living with this stuff--and the way that it never is totally out of the way and the way that the weather changes (good and bad) can get it going...

I'm sorry that there are others who posted here, but I'm glad that we found each other...it helps to know who else gets this!  Take care!

Gentle hugs, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline Shazinoz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'Day from Australia
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2003, 07:54:01 AM »
I was diagnosed with JRA and seronegative spondoloarthritis at age 12 (YEP great fun). They wonder now if it is or was arthritis or if it was the EDS but as my CRP levels still sit around 13 or so they think it was arthritis. I am also HLA B27+ which makes me PRONE to seronegative spondoloarthritis.
I think part of the problem with where or not I had JRA is that my blood work kept chooping and changing, one test I would be ANA +ve and the next or the one after that ANA -ve.
It is weird but HEY what is new about WEIRD in this BODY.
Sharon
2 ACL 'reco's', 3 'scopes', Pain, JRA, EDS, RSD, CMP, osetochondral defect & #, synovitis, adhesions, nerve damage, foot drop, MCL damage, tendonitis, fibrosis, ligament damage AGAIN, dislocations +++

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2003, 08:10:49 AM »
Early osteoarthritis of the knee checking in here...mine was 'acquired' through bad mechanics and a really bad reaction to arthroscopy.  

I also have a good start on arthritis in my right shoulder (bone spurs) and right knee (chondromalacia and bad tracking).  I should be a lot of fun by the time I'm 80...in almost FIFTY years!

I'm too young for this [email protected]!  I think we all are.....

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Donna68

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2003, 01:48:23 PM »
It is gradually dawning on me that I have an arthritis problem of some kind, I have been putting off going back to my gp but I don't think I can put it off any longer, I have painful hands, neck etc, my 'good' knee is painful and my bad knee just seems to be taking forever to get better.  

Like you Heather I live in fear of the future, I am only 34 and am scared as to what will happen when I'm older.

I hate to sound negative but why oh why is life so tough?
Donna
x
Arthroscopy - plica excision - chondroplasty Jan 03 - OA

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2004, 03:48:32 PM »
Hi,

Have only just found this thread and would like to add my bit.

I have OA in both knees.  Both my parents have OA, my dad is currently waiting for a knee and hip replacement.  Seems to be hereditary?  I'm only 36, knew I would get OA as surgeon told me to expect it but didn't think I would get it this early, started about 9 years ago.  By the way, has anyone tried "Devil's Claw" for pain relief for arthritis?  Did it work?  I've tried the glucosamine but didn't do a thing to help.

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

Offline Beth_T

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Knees - who came up with the idea?
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2004, 11:15:30 PM »
Natalie

Someone recommended Devil's claw to me but I found that it made me pee all the time (sorry slighty too much info there :)  ::)   ).  Do you have any side effects with it?

Hugs Beth x
Had a not needed LR op due to a fall
Found out that nerve damage was causing the pain, acupuncture worked - all ok :)

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2004, 02:31:00 PM »
I have OA in my right knee, but it's for now contained to the PF joint. It was caused by the constant smashing of my patella against my femur. Cartilage can only take so much. I also have a good start, Chondromalacia  in my left knee, but not quite into the OA stage yet. However OA runs in my birth family, so does RA.  I'm a bit young i'd say to be having problems with OA younger than alot of you, but sadly older than some of you too (24) .. but too bad for me, cause i'm already there.  I also have OA in my left ankle from a horrible sprain I had about 5 years ago that due to circumstances at the time (my job) was never properly treated.

It's interesting to ponder the question which came first the chicken or the egg?  

Some people here had pain from OA, some people have OA from whatever was causing the pain.  ::)

I take Glucosamine , MSM and Chondroiton as well as Ester C.  I recently read something that suggested that a topical copper treatment might be a good option too!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 02:34:05 PM by Linds »
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2004, 04:03:01 PM »
Arthritis I seem to have quite a bit of it, knees, ankle,feet hands and starting in shoulder.> ??? :o  Both of my folks had it and mom should have had a TKR years ago but would not do any exersizes? ???

Trying to find an OS at a major medical center because I have other problems that TKR could make worse.

Huggs to all and joy to the world! :D ;D :D

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2004, 04:04:58 PM »
Beth,

I haven't started taking the Devil's Claw yet, wanted to ask around first to see if anyone has had any luck with it before trying it out myself.  Do you think it was worth having to "pee all the time" (lol) for any improvements you had?  Did it help you with your pain?

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements