Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MCL repair with hamstring  (Read 3218 times)

Offline caaw

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
MCL repair with hamstring
« on: July 30, 2015, 04:53:15 PM »
Hi I'm after any first hand experience of any one who has had mcl reconstruction with your own hamstring due to have this 13 August. I've had previous surgeries partial knee replacement ligament fix where knee was drilled to help bit mcl has now gone confirmed via mri.
Any help guidance appreciated.

Thanks

Caaw
lateral release right knee 2000
Partial Knee Replacement Femoral implant, Knee cap resurfacing plastic disk installed June 2009 right knee
Retrim of implant 2010.
November 2013 steroid injection right knee
Feb 2014 MCL repair with drilling right knee

Offline caaw

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Re: MCL repair with hamstring
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 08:53:55 PM »
Ok I've had the surgery I'm 11 days post op leg is locked in a raymed straight leg splint. I'm going for staple removal in 3 days time see the surgeon September 29th ým hoping he will then put me in a hinged limited range of motion brace.
It's still early days and I'm in pain leg is spasming and cramping so on tramadol. Still using crutches if I'm out of the house. But moving around the house without the crutches.
lateral release right knee 2000
Partial Knee Replacement Femoral implant, Knee cap resurfacing plastic disk installed June 2009 right knee
Retrim of implant 2010.
November 2013 steroid injection right knee
Feb 2014 MCL repair with drilling right knee

Offline danielmoon17

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: MCL repair with hamstring
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 05:33:13 PM »
Hi caaw!

How are you doing? Coming up to the 2 year mark now...

I underwent MCL reconstruction/reinforcement surgery 1 week ago today, this was also utilising my own hamstring. Although my MCL was not completely gone, it had mended long after a previous injury which resulted in instability and inward lateral movement.

During the surgery my hamstring was removed and cut in half to reinforce my MCL. 2 holes were then drilled in both my Femur and Tibia in order to fixate the two new pieces of ligament. The new pieces of ligament was tensioned using string exiting the exterior of my knee, and then fixated in place using 4 screws which over time will dissolve. My existing MCL has stayed in place, therefore i am referring to this surgery as more of an MCL reinforcement.

I am yet to experience any real pain following the operation, however i do believe there is still a degree of numbness around my knee area. Due to the existing structure of my knee not changing, i was advised by the physio that i could walk short distances without crutches.

Would you be kind enough to share details of the exact surgery you underwent and how the rehabilitation went?

Currently at 30░ flexion for 4 weeks and then up to 60░ for 2 weeks afterwards.

Appreciate any comments you may have!!

Thanks,
Dan

support