Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MCL sprain - Can't bend knee  (Read 29569 times)

Offline botchoyhain

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
MCL sprain - Can't bend knee
« on: December 21, 2004, 04:43:54 AM »
I have a grade 2 MCL sprain which happened almost a month ago and have physical theraphy 2x a week for 2 weeks now.  I cant seem to bend the injured knee beyond 45 degrees due to pain and tightness.  Is that normal ?  What exercises are effective and how long before I can fully bend my knee.  Appreciate if anyone with a similar injury can reply.  Please post and also reply to [email protected] ??? ???

brattkids2

Re: MCL sprain - Can't bend knee
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2004, 02:29:32 PM »
You may want to move your post to the MCL ACL section of the boards. you will get a whole lot more replies!!

Happy Holidays

Offline tanna76

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 05:49:26 AM »
Hi there! I am also new to this site, but your injury sounds just like mine so i thought i would share my tale with you. I injured my knee 5 weeks ago now, and originally i was told i had a MCL sprain also. I have been having PT 2x weekly since two days after the injury, and i can now push the knee to about 80 degrees but thats it so far. Last week i was finally refered for an MRI which revealed a whole heap of other stuff going on in there. I also have a slightly torn ACL, torn meniscus (cartlidge) and bone bruising. They seem to think that the reason for the lack of flexion could be the torn meniscus blocking the joint, or arthrofibrosis which is basically scarring within the joint. They still haven't decided how to fix it yet! I dont mean to scare you or anything but wanted to let you know that it might be more complicated than an MCL sprain. My advice... ask for a referral to a Orthopaedic surgeon and get an MRI done. At least then you will know then. In the mean time, exercise it. Move it as much as you can. It will hurt. I found that if i push it just to the point of pain, and hold it there for 30 secs or so, i can then push it just a little further, and so on and so forth. Best of luck. I would be interested to hear how you get along.
Tanna76.

Offline botchoyhain

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 02:43:52 PM »
 :)  Hi Tanna,  I just read your post now.  Its been 8 weeks since my injury.  Yes, I had an MRI taken a couple of days after my injury and my OS recommended rest for 2 weeks with immobilization to allow the swelling to subside before prescribing therapy.  As I said, my flexion is almost back to normal and am moving towards strenghtening now as my quads and others affected knee muscles have shrunk due to athropy which i am told is normal when one does not use certain muscles for long periods.
I really recommend the hot water treatment unless there really is something more to your sprain but i think it would not hurt to try out my suggestion while the docs are deciding how to manage your injury.  keep mu updated ok ?  I'm interested.   :D

Offline Manu

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 04:47:55 PM »
Hi, I have a MCL sprain too, which happens about 6 weeks ago and started with physical therapy 2x a week, one week after. In the Therapy I dit static cycling, squats and proprioceptive training.
After 4 Weeks I had almost no pain in my MCL, but I had the same problem like you with bending my knee, even normal walking was still painfull. At this time I found the following exercises program. http://www.medformation.com/ac/crssma.nsf/file/crs-sma-sma_medial.collateral.ligament.sprain.exercises. And the bending starts to improve.
I guess , I found last Saturday the reason about my bending Problems. I was reading the following on “Kneeguru”: “While lying in bed in the early stages of injury or post-surgery, avoid putting a pillow under your knee. It may be more comfortable, but can lead to a flexion deformity (knee fixed in bent position).” and realised that I had never extended my knee complete till I started with my additionaly training (for about 4 weeks.) because I'm working at home I was resting most of my time with a pillow under my knee. I’m focusing now, in addition to the other exercises on extension and hamstrings stretching. My bending is know improving.

Offline Alla

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 12:43:33 PM »
Hi there guys,
I find your posts interesting.... I have a lateral ligament tear, that occured almost 12 weeks ago, and I have a similar, but slightly different issue..... I can bend the knee to the full extent, but not while weight bearing.... and it won't lock in the striaght position.... it goes past the "normal" striaght position by about 0.5 to 1 cm (at least that is what it feels like).  Since i did the injury by hyperextending, I guess I can expect that there will be issues with locking it in the straight position.  I also find the comment about using hte pillow interesting, although I found that it was way more comfortable to lie on my stomach with the pillow under my lower leg to sleep... onlt issue was that my knee cap got tired of that.....

Alla
Torn ACL December 04
ACL Reco May 05
Cleared to return to sport May 06

Offline RafiQ

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 03:30:00 AM »
I'm too...... I'm not really sure about what it is.... It's been 22 days from now I got my leg injured....... I can't bend my knee when if I literally move it, that's so painful.... And I've swelling , redness.... I do not know what to do..... Is it curable...?   Or it will be a problem for life long...? :'(