Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Plica knee surgery. HELP! im only 14!  (Read 899 times)

Offline DancerGirlKitty

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Plica knee surgery. HELP! im only 14!
« on: December 30, 2004, 02:57:23 AM »
Background Info:
I'm 14 years old, I've been dancing since I was 3, I've been dancing with knee pain since i was 11.  

2 1/2 months ago I was dignosed with tilted knee caps and Plica syndrom. I went to PT for 2 months twice a week, it expired last week.

My Phyiscal therpist suguested that I get Plica removal surgery because the PT wasnt helping enough.

Delima:
I have a dance competition on Feb. 18th.

Question:
Will that be enough time for a young athletic girl like myselef to heal?
What can I do to speed up the recovery process?

Thanks for all help and advice!
Luv,
Kelsey
:-*
~Kitty can dance!

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
Re: Plica knee surgery. HELP! im only 14!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 02:16:40 PM »
HI Kelsey, I sent you a private message back before Ifound your thread. My 13 yr old daughter is a dancer (since age 2). You didnt tell me you had a competition in Feb, just return to dance. HMMMMM, I simply attended a dance competition a few weeks after surgery and boy did I pay for it!!! If your competitions are anything like my daughters, I would be very nervous about competing so soon after surgery. Her competitions last anywhere from 8-15 hrs a day and require a lot of running up and down stairs to change. Do yours also require this much? I would definately ask your OS what he thinks and then do whatever he says (even is he says miss it) You have to live with these knees for a very long time so you want to do what is best for them now at your young age. I would hate for you to be 30 yrs old and regretting that you didnt baby that knee for a few weeks and suffer for it later.

good luck
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 05:03:42 PM »
Hey kelsey~

i replied to your other thread as well. but missy is right.  i dunno if you would even be able to do a competition that soon after surgery.  you would DEFINATLY wanna talk to your OS about it and follow his/her orders.  ya dont wanna mess things up just for a dance competition.  these knees are stuck with ya forever! and ya gotta make em happy :)  

trust me...when the time is right for your surgery you'll know.  just dont be like me and think that i could wait the pain out for a whole hockey season...look how far that one got me! :P  so as much as it sucks that you have to miss your sport for a bit...know that after the surgery...you'll be able to get back to the sport and continue to compete.    just dont be like me...too stubborn to do anything until things got REALLY bad!!

if ya have any questions or just wanna chat...just post me here or feel free to IM me anytime.  i'm on the board everyday!  Take CAre,
~Mandy
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)

Offline Cid

• Regular Poster
  • Dancing with your heart makes the body sing.
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 05:08:56 PM »
Im sorry you are having to go through this at such  young age.  I am a dancer too but a lot older and only as a hobby.  As for dancing on 2/14 that would depend on how you tolorate the surgery and how hard you work to get that leg strong.  I honestly feel a good positive attitude and hard work will let you do most anything.  Good luck and don't panic just do what the Dr. and Therapists tell you and if you happen to miss that dance competition remember you are young and there will be a lot more in your future if you take care of yourself now.  Cid
Cid
11 surgeries to date 5 on RT, 2 LR, TTT, VMO advancement & chrondroplasty with drilling and a few meinscal repairs
6 on LFT, LR, 2 VMO adv. & OCP with meinscal repairs

Offline LesleyR

• Forum Faithful
  • Things will only get better from here
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 05:30:37 PM »
hey kelsey,
missy has a point, talk to your OS, and see what he says, even if he says no, he might have some good reasoning for it.  it may seem like it really stinks to have a surgery right beforoe a competition, but it'll be wirth it when you can dance later pain free.  

good luck with everything, feel free to im me if you wanna chat

-Lesley :)
20 Years old
10/6/05-Plica removal left knee
2/21/09 MCL grade II tear
Avid Rugby and Ice hockey Player